XCKDIY Dreamcast IDE Board: Inexpensive GD-ROM HDD Replacement

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by smoke monster, Mar 17, 2016.

1. GillBert

GillBert Spirited Member

told ya' :)

The entire problem relies on the fact that when the GDROM board is absent, the system have to work without an actual master device. Even if some another device is set as slave it may not work, specially if that device is an adapter. There are actually some workarounds in order to circumvent this situation but they are not functional for every scenarios.The proper solution will be when Dreamshell bootloader has the ability to boot directly from a slave device, I think @megavolt85 was working on such nice feature.

I also agree that a G1-ATA design based on a QSB for GDROM board would be great.

Anthony817 likes this.
  2. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rising Member

what are the work arounds? ive never seen any info on them.... id be more than willing to test and try for sake of the community as i already have most of the adapters the community would like to see working.

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Intrepid Member

@Mobius, nice you got it working man! Damn, so I guess now you have a good ide board you don;t need now? Does it work well now that you tested everything out? Is it something you wanted to hold on to, or would you be interested in possibly selling it since you modded your own ide connection on your system?

I have a dead DC here, with a bad GDRom drive I was wanting to solder a mod chip to and have the IDE mod done to it, but I am still a noob with soldering some 40+ connections I don't feel confident to attempt. So a plug in solution like this I could get where I don't have to order something from a 3rd party Taobao middleman site would be nice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. megavolt85

megavolt85 Spirited Member

Russian IDE mod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

fafadou, Gizmo613 and Anthony817 like this.
  5. Mobius_trip

thats a neat solution megavolt85, but im trying to find a way to do a no case cut setup that has both the gdrom drive and the ide setup.. this is why i was so dead-set on trying to get an sd card to work, because there is enough room inside the gdrom assembly to hide an sd card push-push, which means you could put in either a disc, or an sd card, in the black plastic area of the gdrom drive without case cutting.... the dreamcast has plenty enough room to hide the hardware inside if i can find hardware that works.

6. Gizmo613

Gizmo613 Member

if you find the cf to sd adapter that is working, you can try to use a TF micro sd extension adaptor. That way you can route to where you want it without a case cut. But if you do find the cf to sd adapter that works, please link it for us. ;)

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

You could use the Russian adaptor as a base board, cut the IDE connector and rewire it to a CF (IDE) to SD adapter.

fafadou likes this.
  8. Mobius_trip

@Gizmo613 thats what i was going to do, once i got IDE->CF->SD working, i was going to mount an SD extension to a place one could fit alongside the stock GDrom drive, you couldnt have an SD card and a disc in at the same time, but you could do one or the other
    @-=FamilyGuy=- too complicated for what im trying to do to use that adapter, considering it attaches to the motherboard locations and would be incredibly difficult to get the wiring to the gdrom drive area when you can just as easily wire to the bottom of the gdrom driver board. if i bought one of those boards, i would just use it with a case cut as intended.