Xbox SSD won't boot...No Errors

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by RandySlim76, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RandySlim76

RandySlim76 Active Member

I have a friend that has a v1.6 Xbox softmodded. He swapped his failing HDD with a SSD. At first it would not boot at all using the power button (just got past the flubber and then blank screen). He had to use the eject button for it to boot. Now it won't get past the flubber at all. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

2. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Using a 80 wire IDE cable?

RandySlim76 likes this.
  3. RandySlim76

Yes it is a 80 pin cable. :)

4. Rocky5

Usually when the eject button or the power button only works it trace corrosion, but this is usually caused by the clock capacitor on older revisions as the capacitor sits above the power and eject traces. It’s a v1.6 so there won’t be any clock capacitors issues for a very long time and also it’s in a different location.
    ( its to the right of the IDE port )

The only other thing I can suggest is trying a different adaptor for the drive, and if that doesn’t work, remove the SSD and use a 2.5” SATA drive that is know to work 100% with the Xbox.

SSD’s are useless in the Xbox other than not having the sound of the spinning hard drive, but the fan would drown that out. Note: 2.5” drives are almost silent and I recommend them over 3.5” drives.

I use WD blue 2.5” drives, and never had a single issues with them.

5. RandySlim76

The power button will turn on the Xbox but it would only get to right past the xbox flubber. There eject button would always get it past and boot on up to UnleashX.

Wait I had a thought...... Maybe the dash is corrupt???? Thoughts? The dash is always running in the background so maybe it is boring all the way up it's just not letting it display anything. Opinions?

6. Rocky5

Sounds like dualbooting, power button dash is missing, eject dash is found.

But that doesn’t fix the problem that it won’t go past the flubber.

If dashboards will missing/corrupt you would boot to a black screen after the Xlogo.

7. RandySlim76

I showed him your response just waiting for him to tell me if that's his problem. His Xbox is mounted in a cabinet without the original case or dvd drive. He has to put one back on it to fix his issues. I will let you know ASAP. Thanks bud.

8. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Rocky: Is dual booting with a softmod possible? First time I hear of this.

Randy: Maybe something messed up the softmod. Does the unit still boot discs (directly without going to the dash first)? And if so, which ones (originals/backups)?

9. RandySlim76

I'll find out....

10. Rocky5

Yup, it actually functions better than a chips dualbooting.

11. RandySlim76

He said it boots Xbox original discs. He is going to redo the softmod and see if that fixes it tonight.

12. RandySlim76

I about forgot to respond back. So he cleaned the SSD off, softmodded it, transferred all of his content bit by bit and he found out that his SSD was corrupting the data. He pulled the softmodded Xbox out and put a chipped one in with a IDE or Sata. So I'm guessing SSD drives are not the best things to use in an original Xbox. I wouldn't know because I use Hitachi in mine. Thanks guys.