GUIDE Xbox Controller S

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Syclopse, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Just keep running into this with people and the Xbox S controller (s).
    Using a replacement shell defeats any internal identification as the internals and cable are swapped out. Using the typical markings for identification are good for some fakes but the Rainbow S controllers which came in like 10 colors used the MS molds and have all the same stampings as official controllers, even the "Microsoft" stamping between the memory slots.

Date circles are in different locations on the back of the controller depending on the country of MFR.
    China = 11 O'clock above recycle logo
    Malaysia = Behind serial number sticker

On the front at both factories they were stamped behind the Xbox Jewel, can be slightly seen using a flashlight through the memory slots.
    China & Malaysia = Behind the Xbox Jewel

And the fakes with all the same markings except the date codes.
    Fake back & fake back 2
    Fake front behind Xbox Jewel

Here is an archive.org link of the install instructions for the Rainbow S controller shells.

Hope this helps someone down the road as stickers can be removed and applied or even printed these days.

It's not real if it isn't Black, Gray, Green, Blue, Orange, White, Burgundy, Crystal or on rare occasions Clear. (As of August 2017)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM
    A Toubib, XboxSurgeon and gaming247 like this.
  2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

I'll sticky this.

Thanks for the information.

3. Charels

Charels always bored

You might want to include Gray in that list too, I wouldn't really call the japanese exclusive controller color black.
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: You might also want to include the White EA controllers that are visible in this picture in that list too. (Picture by Moontar)
    [​IMG]

Also since it might as well be posted in this thread here is the aftermarket controller shells that llama made using the MS molds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With these colors listed on their site being Chrome, Crystal Hazard Orange, Crystal Amethyst Purple, Crystal Ruby Red, Crystal Blue, Crystal Sapphire Blue, Crystal Green, Crystal Yellow, and Crystal Clear
    You can see that the price for these retailed for $15.99 (except the chrome one which was $19.99) on this archived link. http://web.archive.org/web/20060522185607/http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=64_24

I've also noticed that there are a few companies that sell controllers that atleast from the thumbnails seem to be in the same shells as official ones although I havent seen any in person to confirm or deny this.
    There is Mars Design
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And also TTX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It seems like there are a couple more that I missed made by various companies so I will just keep adding them down here as I find them.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Memnoch9299 and Syclopse like this.
  4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Xbox Controller S clear or crystal fakes and resealing retail packaging

Thought I was being nice by letting an eBay seller know an item might not be real and I was wrong in thinking that. So lets place this information here to educate future searches on the subject.

Here's an example of a bad 3rd party clear controller:
    Notice lines of the plastic molds in both handles, too close together. Circuit board looks cheap and the buttons are junk as well.
    What I've seen 2 times so far is that someone replaces the board and cable from a black controller and slaps a jewel on it and reseals the retail package.

p-wholesale-chenaoxin.jpg

Here is an example of one placed inside retail packaging that was re-sealed. I bought this one on eBay and opened it myself to confirm.
    Notice the edges of the packaging, looks like a heat stamping seal of some type.
    Notice the handles of the controller and the spacing of the plastic molds are way too close together.
    I believe the jewel fell off when I opened the package as well.

Crystal.jpg

Here is the 2nd one I've seen and suspect is re-sealed as you can see where the plastic MELTED from re-sealing it using a heat gun or something. And then comes the plastic molds in the handles for easy identifying, too close together.

Fake reseal job.JPG

And in case you don't have a picture of the plastic molds in the handles near by, I'll place one here so you can compare.

S Controller Front.JPG

Enjoy your day and be happy and I hope this helps someone 20 years down the road.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    A Toubib likes this.
  5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Here is a real Crystal S Controller
    Legit Crystal S.jpg
    Crystal Controller S
    K86-00027

Here are the sealed retail packaging part numbers for NA and EUR
    K86-00013 Black NA
    K86-00015 Green NA
    K86-00016 Blue NA
    K86-00028 Crystal NA (waiting on confirmation)

K86-00014 Black EUR
    K86-00017 Green EUR
    K86-00027 Crystal EUR

Here is what made me write-up the above clear controller in retail packaging post. I might be 100% WRONG so don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:36 AM
  6. A Toubib

A Toubib Midnight Xbox Crew

Just curious, did Microsoft sell a crystal controller in the North American market that had the black jewel? I always thought they came with the crystal jewel?

Also note the photo above is the UK market crystal controller, the North American one is part number is K86-00028 and looks like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 1:44 AM
    Syclopse likes this.
  7. Syclopse

Syclopse .

All the fakes usually have the black jewel applied or a crystal controller stuffed in K86-00013 packaging.

We think it was just Canada where the Crystal console was sold, I have the K86-00028 in my notes but have not seen the picture of the bottom or held it in my hands, if this is your controller can you take that bottom picture for me? It looks NA as it has EN/ES/FR on it, as long as the bottom shows 28 and not 13 we can confirm this.