The Atari Panther:The Game Claims/UK Press Coverage etc.

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Lost Dragon, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

I've not touched a Jaguar since I sold mine to fund a Playstation 1, day 1 purchase and so,so many of the unreleased games were better off unreleased,as they were pretty dire or conversions of pretty dire games to start with..

But looking into the inner workings of Atari and it's treatment of and relationships with..the press, publishers etc, I do find makes very interesting reading...

It's a car crash of events with Atari lurching from disaster to disaster, burning bridges and knee jerking to moves competitors make as it goes along.
    :)

2. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

As promised..Mike Diskett and Alex Trowers of Bullfrog chatting to myself about Jaguar Magic Carpet, Alex also sheds light on the A1200 and CD32 versions.

Mike had to join AA and confirm what I had passed on was correct as people were trying to claim it was speculation on my part....

:))

As Mike himself said..just to clear this up:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/23...ex-trowers-lead-designer-answers-my-question/

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Atari Jaguar & Nintendo 64 (64-Bits) Aficionado

I only said that you have a friend there, that's all. And for the record, there's no drama in the group.

4. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

5. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188836-some-pretty-awesome-graphics-for-the-lynx/page-3

Atari Corp's scott D.Williamson talking openly about The Panther hardware, in his view it being lame a return to the 8bit Atari micro/console hardware days, a big mistake etc after working on the Lynx

https://www.acast.com/theretrohourr...-fall-with-darryl-still---the-retro-hour-ep71

Darryl Still talking about there being NO POINT in launching the Panther, after seeing specs for the Jaguar and realising it would render the Panther harware obsolete within 18 months.

Listen around 43 Mins mark on Podcast.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  6. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

7. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

tgm1700013.jpg tgm1600115.jpg

More UK Press chat about the supposed ST console (Project Robin?) and then wishing Atari wouldn't waste resources on odd-ball projects like The Panther Console...

8. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

From my email chat with Missile Command (ST) Graphics Artist, Gary Johnson:

"I did work with Rob Zdybel back in the day of the years 86 to 89. But not really on any old
    Atari Coin-ops to convert. We worked on newer games for the Panther. At this time
    I don't remember what they were, because I only did this for a short time till I moved on.

Though back in the years of 81 and 83 I did art of other coin-op games for conversion
    for the Atari ST. Rob was not one the programmers during that time.

I hope this helps.

Gary"

9. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

Guildo H's feedback when the interview i did with him about The crypt on Panther, went live:

"Thanks a bunch for the heads-up. I just checked it out (The interview now being up online) and it looks cool. Nice comments, too. If I ever find the prototype of the machine I’ll take some pictures, outside as well as under the hood, so you could potentially post them as well."

Sadly doesn't look like he found his hardware :(

10. KGRAMR

I did approached to Guido to see if he still had something related to The Crypt, but unfortunately he told me that the game is now lost forever...too bad honestly. I spoke to him 3-4 months ago i believe.

11. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

cvg8700146.jpg cvg8700147.jpg cvg8700149.jpg cvg8700150.jpg Another UK Magazine Console feature, the ST Console (now refered to as the ST+) is mentioned...

My feelings are Atari UK would of done nothing to stop these rumours, as it was basically all good PR, kept Atari in the media spotlight, even if they had no actual hardware to show...

12. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

I did have Mort scan the actual page from EDGE, issue 120, p48..Inside Llamasoft feature..

Unseen64 wanted entire article for Unity on G.C research for their book. but, bless him he scanned it at such high resolution, file size was too large to upload.

But from that feature, Jeff talking about the Panther:

'...So when the Panther started to happen, I was well known at Atari UK, and there was at least 1 person at Atari US who also knew me,so I was approached to work on the system-and has often been my weakness-my love of getting onto new,cutting-edge hardware prevailed.'

'Panther didn't last long since it was already being eclipsed by the much more powerful Jaguar that was already in development within Atari.'

'I got involved fairly early on at the time the Beta hardware was 1st available for developers.

Panther was quite a nice machine, definitely superior to the MegaDrive that was current at the time,and better in some respects than the SNES, too..

It was a pretty nice sprite- based system-you could manipulate the sprites on the fly for some interesting effects and it had a nice Ensoniq soundchip,better than anything else out there on console at the time.'

13. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

From the same Edge interview/article, Jeff talking about his planned Panther title:

'I was intending to do a space game, with some Star Raider-y aspects-galactic maps, space shootouts-and some scrolly shooty sections were you went down to planets.There was going to be some strategic aspect in there too, influenced by Ian M Banks Culture novels, which I was quite heavily into at the time.

I coded up various demos on the Panther-sprite warping, scrolly planet stuff (one of them had masses of leaping antelopes in it, if I remember correctly) and such,but before anything really started to come together into a game the plug got pulled on Panther...'

14. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

15. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

Regarding the Ringler Studio's exchange with Atari..a post came in from an Ex-Atari employee on Atari I.O forum,who had spotted the thread i created and he gave this viewpoint:

"Wow I haven't seen these emails in a while...I will reread them at a later date. In general Ringler over promised and under delivered. We gave them a lot of time to fix issues and they never did. I have a few classic memories that stick out on these projects. One time we paid them a milestone payement and when we showed up on prem, Ringler had a new BMW, but the work had not progressed."

It's always vital to get both sides of a story and not just detail 1 viewpoint.

We are trying to get more details on who Marigul is and his role whilst at Atari.

UPDATE :He is Faran Thompson.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  16. KGRAMR

I know who he is perfectly, he's related to Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales (and also my friend :D)

17. KGRAMR

Here's some more stuff from The Atari Explorer website:
    19.jpg 50.jpg 51.jpg

18. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Peppy Member

19. KGRAMR

Yeah, that appeared first on JSIII by Rie TXG/MNX (a.k.a. the other wonderful fellow that cares about the Jag). Who knows if it has something from Psygnosis for the Panther? It's most likely that he also bought the documentation of AC/DC: Defenders of Metal from Kevincal20 that appeared a few days ago on eBay. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if the Robocop proposal for the Jaguar by Ocean appears at any time...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  20. KGRAMR