1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Super UFO 8 Hmmm?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Jul 5, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I am mostly interested in this as a pass through to play SNES games on a Super Famicom. But what's this I hear about Roms interacting with the carts? Like use the Japanese Rock Man X3 cart to play Mega Man X3. Can't do that with an Everdrive or SD 2 SNES.

Then there is this feature to dump and patch ROMs....hmm interesting...

I'm aware it's not perfect but this thing is interesting, at $60 it'd pay for itself if I just put Hagane on it.

2. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Just make sure you wear a tinfoil hat while you operate it.

3. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

These things are mostly terrible, and I'd suggest you get a Super Everdrive for the $26 extra instead, but if you must know:

No, you can't use the chip in X3 JP to play X3 US ROMs, chip passthrough doesn't work for non-DSP1 chips.
    Yes it does dump most games - in a weird headered format. Not to mention that most of the time, the dumps are corrupt.
    Yes it does work as a pass-through for Japanese games in my limited testing - just not for special chip games, or any cart that uses the additional pins for that matter.
    Yes most of it's features are buggy at best, and I've had one die in a matter of days - the build quality leaves something to be desired.

Bottom line: It doesn't do half the "magical" things it says it does. The marketing outright lies on most points and tells half truths for the rest. If you just want the exact same functionality as an upgraded Super Everdrive with DSP for cheaper, feel free to take the risk and buy it. But if you're buying it for the extra features, don't. Buy the Everdrive. Don't give money to charlatans.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  4. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

I guess you already have seen the episode of My Life in Gaming about it:

Now from personal experience as a flash cart and competitor to the Everdrive series the Super Ufo Pro 8 is a total failure simply because it doesn't automatically backup your save games to the sd card once you finished your gaming session. So annoying that I sold mine again.

That being said it has a nice retro menu, it can backup your cartridge save games and according to the video it does support some special chips as long as you plug the same game as a real cartridge into the SuperUfo as the rom you want to play.
    It also seems to be a great way of playing translation patches with the original cartridges on top for retro feel.

If the developer would bring out an update to implement backing up your game progress to the sd card automaticly or if somebody would write a custom firmware for it then the Super Ufo Pro 8 would be a very nice product. Like with most of the things from China it could be great if the developers would continue to work on it instead of just throwing it into the market and forgetting about it. But in the current state I can not recommend it.

5. GodofHardcore

Yep, I've been binge watching My life in Gaming the last few days.

Again, I'm really only interested in this as a Pass through for SNES games on a Super Famicom. But if I can use a few features while I build a up a collection and put money aside for an SD 2 SNES It'll serve it's purpose.

6. Krayzar

Just to reiterate, the above does not work. No special chip game other than DSP1 will work like this. You can't even use this as a passthrough for the Japanese version of X3. If a game has a special chip, or uses the extra cart pins, you can't dump or play the game through it.

If you're interested in it as a stop gap solution for now, and can accept these limitations, it'll probably serve you well for a time, however.

7. GodofHardcore

So I'd probably be better off tracking down a pass through converter and saving for an SD2SNES then.

What I'm looking for is SNES to Super Famicom not the other way around.

8. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Rising Member

@Krayzar: as it seems you have a lot of experience with these things, which SNES flashcart do you prefer? SD2SNES, Snes Powerpak, Super Everdrive?

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

They are expensive but you can track down the Action Replay MK3 to use as a pass-thru to play US cartridges on a SFC. There are also plenty of other import adapters that can get you around the physical shape part of the lockout. Or just use a SNES. I don't see what the big deal is. I have both a SFC and my original SNES. I don't use the SFC much. I can play any SFC carts I have in my US SNES just fine. I don't spend much time staring at my console while playing games so it makes no difference.

Sp33dFr34k, most SNES flash cartridges and copiers will play the same set of games. Some will support DSP1 games, some won't. This is easily 90~95% of the SNES library. SD2SNES can play some of that remaining 5% or less of the library. But that list is actually pretty short. It's less than 1/4th of that 5% of games. You can play Cx4 games, which are the two Mega Man X sequels. You can play DSP2, DSP3, and DSP4 games which there is only one of each. So that's an extra 5 games so far. I think it support OBC-1 for Metal Combat, a Super Scope game. But the bulk of enhanced games come from SA-1 and SuperFX that no flash cartridge supports.

Now the SD2SNES is a great flash cartridge but you pay a lot for it which may not be worth it to you if all you care about is the end result of playing commercial games. It has probably the nicest interface, fastest loading, and the only way to play MSU-1 hacked games on a real SNES. I also didn't mention both SD2SNES and the PowerPAK can play 1 additional game that no other flash cartridge or copier can (except the Game Doctor SF7) which is the 96 megabit decompressed Star Ocean hack.

But back to my point, no matter which flash cartridge or copier you get you will be playing the same set of games for the most part. If you want the absolute highest compatibility then the SD2SNES is the way to go. If you want to spend less and don't mind losing the ability to play a handful of games then the PowerPAK or EverDrive will suit you just fine.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  10. Krayzar

I prefer SD2SNES, mostly due to the Cx4 chip and DSP chip emulation, and the slick menu. However, there's a few test roms that I use on it to experiment with SNES hardware that don't seem to function on other solutions (mostly the Everdrive). Though this has probably changed with updates as it's been a while since I've owned an Everdrive.

I used to own an Everdrive and still own a few of the more "classic" cart / backup solutions like the Super Wildcard DX. I've also used a friends Powerpak and found them to be adequate as well, though obviously lacking in special chip emulation.

11. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Rising Member

12. bakageta

bakageta Newly Registered

Is that from actual testing, or just the usual knowledge of enhancement chips? With these down to $45-ish on eBay, I was looking into one to play around with and found a YouTube video that somewhat contradicts the "no expansion chip games" mantra. The video showed rockman x2 and x3 both played over the pass-through fine. More interestingly, the US rom loaded and appeared to play correctly, but only with the matching JP cart. Attempting US X3 with the JP X2 cart failed exactly as expected.

Here's the video, there's a part 2 as well:

Of course, most enhancement chip games don't work, with someone on gbatemp reporting original Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG carts crash on the pass-through like is commonly pointed out.

It's a pretty limited use, but seemed interesting anyway.

13. Krayzar

This is from testing with my own Super UFO 8. Keep in mind that video is from 2012. I can confirm mine (bought in 2015) does not work like this for X2 and X3. Theoretically, it should be possible for the exact Cx4 revision to function via pass-through, it just doesn't appear to work on later revisions of the hardware.

bakageta likes this.
  14. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

The reason you can possibly play the Cx4 games loaded in DRAM while the original Cx4 game is connected is pretty simple. Infact other than DSP games this detail holds true with most other enhancement chip games. The Cx4 has its own connection to the ROM inside the cartridge. Because of this it doesn't matter what you load in the DRAM of the UFO or any other copier. The Cx4 will only see the data inside the cartridge. But that's OK if the data you need the Cx4 to have is the same as what is in the cartridge. Since Rockman X2/X3 have the same data as Megaman X2/X3 for the Cx4 to operate on this can work. But ofcourse you can't mix and match the games since X2 and X3 clearly don't have the same data.

I hope that makes sense but this is the reason why you can't just plug in an original cartridge of an enhanced game and load a ROM and make it work. The connection of the chips (Cx4, SA-1, SDD1, etc) to their ROM is inside the cartridge, not exposed to the edge connector. So you can't change the data they "see". The only possibility is to change what the main SNES CPU sees when it reads the ROM, but that also depends on how exactly things are setup. The cartridge itself will respond to reads so it'd be up to your UFO or other device to handle wether DRAM responds or the cartridge. It could be implemented poorly which might be why you say some revisions this works and not others.

Either way I don't recommend using this UFO product. Save your money for something better.

15. GodofHardcore

Yeah I'm going to get an SD2SNES, Already have the rom packs downloaded just need the MSU pack. Anything not working on the SD2SNES I'm dumping on my Raspberry Pi. It's a system.