Similar problem with Saturn and PS1 systems, clicking sound

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by la-li-lu-le-lo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

So, recently I've been having some problems with several of my systems at the same time. The problem is that these systems (2 Saturns and 3 PS1s) make a sort of clicking/tapping sound. In at least some of these systems, the sound seems to come from the drive spindle. That makes me think that either there's a problem with the spindle or the spindle motor.

However, it's unclear if this is what's happening with all of these systems. I've done a lot of testing on all of the systems, and they don't seem to be causing any damage to discs at all; so this means that it must not be the disc making the sound. The loudness of the sound varies between the systems.

The system I'm mainly focused on is my Japanese Saturn. The system makes a sort of clicking/vibrating sound. There actually seems to be 2 sounds; one is a clicking sound, and the other is an electronic kind of sound. The former seems to continue after the system is powered off, but the latter stops when it's powered off. The sound changes during a game; it seems to change when the speed of the disc changes.

My PS1 SCPH-9000 has a similar problem, but the sound seems to continue after the system is turned off. I was even able to get it to make the sound by spinning the spindle around with no disc inserted. So this must have something to do with the spindle.

One thing I find odd is how all of these systems seem to be having the same problem at the same time. That makes me wonder if maybe this is actually a normal sound for these systems to make. However, I think at least the Saturn's sound isn't normal, because it didn't seem to make this sound before.

So, what do you think? What's causing these problems? Is it normal? If not, is there a way to fix it? I was going to get someone to try to repair the Saturn for me, but if there were something I could easily do myself, that would be better.

I can record audio of the systems and do more tests if necessary.

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If you get a "ticking" sound when you rotate the disk spindle even with the power off, then the spindle motor is worn out. The brushes on those Mabuchi motors consist of a bundle of thin wires and they eventually wear through - that noise is the end of the wire coming off one commutator segment and clicking when it hits the next one.

The only real solution is to replace the spindle motor with with another one that has less hours on it. Also note that if you operate the systems in this state there is a risk of blowing up the BTL driver chip on the control board.

3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I see. What about the Saturn? Like I said, it makes a ticking sound after the system is powered off, but it also makes another sound that goes away when the power is off.

4. Oakleaf

Oakleaf Active Member

The saturns power supply can make horrible ticking and whining noises. The noise usually fades out when powered off.
    Changing the fast switching diodes and maybe the switching regulator to had gixed it for me.

It could offcourse be laser/mech related to.