[Request] Improperly cracked Spyro 3

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by PixelButts, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Spaceman

Spaceman PSX Historian

Thanks for the information! Nothing like a simple ppf patch to solve (or in this case.. unsolve?) our problems. Will be nabbing and patching that sometime today.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. :p Glad to know it's working as intended.

bluexcell likes this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

Any information I get out of this will be on TCRF because a quote with examples isnt enough for me.
    Some are obvious, some are not and here's where I'm at so far

Code:
    General
    -Zoe says its a hacked copy
    -ability to pause entirely gone
    -Sparx stays green
    -affects sparx's levels and health bar within the levels
    -pickups in sparx's level gain hp but he stays green
    -eating butterflies while measures are active bring sparx down 1 hit point from current until he hits green

Levels
    -last egg in all friend stages gets reset periodically
    -collecting the above egg adds to total each time, will reset if game is reset
    -Midday Garden off by 1 gem
    -Enchanted Towers off by 3 gems
    -Sgt Byrd's base gem count is off by 6
    -Sheila's segment in spooky swamp is closed with an empty message on signpost
    -Spooky Swamp off by 215 gems and 2 eggs (partly due to the above)
    -Bamboo Terrace off by 5 gems
    -Evening Lake off by 7 gems
    -Frozen Alters off by 10 gems
    -Bently's outpost off by 10 gems

Transportation
    -transportation between worlds will not work unless uncollected eggs from friends are collected (sheila, byrd, bently etc)
    -Occasionally player will be lifted then returned to where they just came from

Misc
    -if stuck in transportation/pausing, reseting the game will undo this
    -freeing sheila cost comes up a second time
    -freeing bently doesnt penalize your gem count
    -if you have no Sparx and destroy a 1-up butterfly jar you get a gold Sparx (this might be a bug in the effects of a triggered copy?)

Edit: here's a creative one.
    When you get the rocket, and travel to Midnight Mountain, it's replaced with "Sorceress' Lair". It will bring you to Buzz's Dungeon instead. Pressing pause to exit the stage will in fact take you to the proper place, but to the actual doors to the lair, which are still shut. Inspecting the Atlas also shows the following image. None of these have been entered yet. Going into the only door available (which is the last boss to reach 100%) it will send you to Buzz's Dungeon (or what I assume the joke is "back to the dungeon"). When you reset the game it will place you in the right area, but you missed a boss (Scorch). You go to Evening Lake then back to Midnight Mountain and the boss commences as normal. I think this is one really creative approach.
    game Screenshot 2017-09-11 18-21-20.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    bluexcell, Alter_47 and pool7 like this.
  3. bluexcell

bluexcell Rapidly Rising Member

Glad it's working! Cheers for the update, this is really interesting!

4. PixelButts

This list is getting so convoluted

Code:
    Note, all of these increase in severity as time goes on as progress is made.
    This is not a full list, but this should cover most effects.

General
    -Sparx stays green
    -eating butterflies while measures are active bring sparx down 1 hit point from current until he hits green
    -some enemies do do not drop gems (observed this with ninja generators at Fireworks Factory)

Eggs
    -collecting the above egg(s) adds to total each time. It will be reset at some point in the session or after a reset of the game
    -Spooky Swamp off by 2 eggs (Sheila's segment in spooky swamp is closed)

Gems
    -Spooky Swamp off by 215 gems
    -Firework Factory off by 
    -Charmed ridge off by 6 gems
    -Crystal Islands off by 3 gems
    -Desert Ruins off by 1 gem
    -[working]

Transportation
    -transportation between worlds will not work unless uncollected eggs from friends are collected (sheila, byrd, bently etc)
    -Rocket can bring you to virtually anywhere, even already defeated bosses
    -Once the rocket is available it change "Midnight Mountain" to "Sorcoress' Lair" and instead send you to Buzz's Dungeon
    -Exiting Buzz's Dungeon after the above happens you will be placed in the closed doors to the Sorcess' Lair, forcing you to go back to the dungeon (cheeky joke there devs)
    -fter time in Midnight Mountain, returning to the rocket will only leave Sunrise Spring available
    -If you took the above transport, it will have the rocket and hot air balloon colliding on land (and you'll hop twice)
    -If jumping into the hot air balloon at this point you can go back to Midnight Mountain in the hot air balloon
    -If you want to go to the other stages, you must "complete" each stage again to get the option back sequentially (just from start to end portal will do.)

Misc
    -if you have no Sparx and destroy a 1-up butterfly jar you get a gold Sparx (this might be a bug in the effects of a triggered copy?)
    -when you travel to Sorcoress' Lair as described in "Transportation", the Atlas will show all stages in Midnight Mountain are fully cleared except Midnight Mountain itself
    -curscene will try to play if you get close to the doors (the cutscene to open the doors, which doesnt work)
    -when the above happens (Sorcoress loop I'll call it) resetting the system will take you to the proper place but skip Scorch's Pit. Returning to Evening Lake and back will proceed as normal
    -Agent 9 is already unlocked, Moneybags can still be paid (cost will take gems as usual)
    -every few resets it will remove some eggs based on RNG or progress on all previously collected eggs (even loses track on some currently being collected)

Stages that can be completed
    Note: This is only counting those that can get the "Level Complete" message even if eggs reset later in time
    -Sunrise Spring Home
    -Sunny Villa
    -Cloud Spires
    -Molten Crater
    -Seashell Shores
    -Mushroom Speedway
    -Sheila's Alps
    -Buzz's Dungeon
    -Icy Peak
    -Country Speedway
    -Spike's Arena
    -Lost Fleet
    -Honey Speedway(checking here forward currently, need to go through all the levels again to get the worlds back)

game Screenshot 2017-09-11 19-32-26.png

5. PixelButts

Alright So gonna call it quits for now. Had put a huge amount of hours and the amount of fighting this has put up has proven to work on me (for the time being).

Spyro 3 Anti Piracy effects
    Code:
    Note, all of these increase in severity as time goes on as progress is made.
    This is not a full list, but this should cover most effects.

General
    -All gems and eggs are still globally tracked as obtained in thr Atlas
    -Sparx stays green
    -some enemies do do not drop gems (observed this with ninja generators at Fireworks Factory)

Eggs
    -collecting the above egg(s) adds to total each time. It will be reset at some point in the session or after a reset of the game
    -Spooky Swamp off by 2 eggs (Sheila's segment in spooky swamp is closed)

Gems
    -Spooky Swamp off by 215 gems
    -Firework Factory off by 
    -Charmed ridge off by 6 gems
    -Crystal Islands off by 3 gems
    -Desert Ruins off by 1 gem
    -Rest need to be looked at

Transportation
    -Rocket can bring you to virtually anywhere, even already defeated bosses
    -Once the rocket is available it change "Midnight Mountain" to "Sorcoress' Lair" and instead send you to Buzz's Dungeon
    -Exiting Buzz's Dungeon after the above happens you will be placed in the closed doors to the Sorcess' Lair, forcing you to go back to the dungeon (cheeky joke there devs)
    -fter time in Midnight Mountain, returning to the rocket will only leave Sunrise Spring available
    -If you took the above transport, it will have the rocket and hot air balloon colliding on land (and you'll hop twice)
    -If jumping into the hot air balloon at this point you can go back to Midnight Mountain in the hot air balloon
    -If you want to go to the other stages, you must "complete" each stage again to get the option back sequentially (just from start to end portal will do.)

Misc
    -when you travel to Sorcoress' Lair as described in "Transportation", the Atlas will show all stages in Midnight Mountain are fully cleared except Midnight Mountain itself
    -curscene will try to play if you get close to the doors (the cutscene to open the doors, which doesnt work)
    -when the above happens (Sorcoress loop I'll call it) resetting the system will take you to the proper place but skip Scorch's Pit. Returning to Evening Lake and back will proceed as normal
    -Agent 9 is already unlocked, Moneybags can still be paid (cost will take gems as usual)
    -every few resets it will remove some eggs based on RNG or progress on all previously collected eggs (even loses track on some currently being collected)

Stages that can be completed
    Note: This is only counting those that can get the "Level Complete" message even if eggs reset later in time
    -Sunrise Spring Home
    -Sunny Villa
    -Cloud Spires
    -Molten Crater
    -Seashell Shores
    -Mushroom Speedway
    -Sheila's Alps
    -Buzz's Dungeon
    -Icy Peak
    -Country Speedway
    -Spike's Arena
    -Lost Fleet
    -All of Sparx's stage
    -Probably a few more. Most speedways are fine. Most bosses are fine

Going to call it done for now and hope someone else can pick up where I left off.
    Also for good measure, here's my PS3's uptime for all of this playing and documenting.
    upload_2017-9-11_22-3-56.png

Spaceman likes this.
  6. PixelButts

Spaceman, americandad, fate6 and 2 others like this.
  7. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

You have far more patience then I ever will pix.

8. PixelButts

I'm done but I know there's some more at hand.

9. SegaLife

SegaLife Rising Member

Amazing read; I have never played a single Spyro game but it was interesting none the less; thank you for your hard work!

10. Spaceman

Spaceman PSX Historian

What a strong effort. Now we have proper documentation on its effects on the game. Thanks for your hard work, PB. :)

11. PixelButts

It's not a full list. I know theres more going on since some effects happen if you have post 100% completion (ie moneybags payback)
    If i can get a full and complete save file and test more i would but that isnt easy when im using a ps3

12. Decapicitated

Decapicitated Site Supporter 2011-13 Lara Croft

Hey guys, I hate to hi-jack threads but I was wondering if anyone has figured the crux of this protection mechanism causing it to be triggered. From what I've read, the ppf patch will have changed the EXE file (maybe) and that's why it's now being triggered? I'm confused because if the data remains untouched (for pirates) how is this being triggered on non-patched versions running on PS1s with mod chips?

Reason I'm asking is because the CTR E3 Preview build I'm trying to crack is definitely experiencing issues similar to what occurs with Spyro 3 mentioned in this thread.

1. I cracked the dongle protection (without modifying the game's executable file) and cracked the game with modifying the game's executable file. This allowed the game to boot to the title screen.

2. Attempting to load any level through Adventure or any other sub-modes in the title menus will crash the game.

3. I fixed the issue mentioned above by debugging the game, turns out there's a dynamically constructed jump table, possibly controlled by the said protection mechanism. After constructing a patch to temporarily re-route the jump table addresses on first read.. The game will load fine into races.

4. Yesterday night, I decided to check adventure mode out... All the races seem locked except 3. After completing the 3 races I got 3 gold trophies but couldn't progress further into the game. The other races required items like gold keys/relics which I couldn't get .

I initially thought the build itself isn't fully playable. After restarting the game as I thought it could resolve this issue I realised my save file had been deleted...... Just like Spyro 3.

Issues I've encountered which suggest it's the same protection used in Spyro 3:

1. Deleted save file (always deletes if you save then reload the game but in-game it shows your percentage progress correctly until you restart).
    2. Other races expect more collectibles than what you can actually get.
    3. When a race is started you can drive straight forward without having to wait (like in the slightly later review build/final game and demo).
    4. Missing "CTR" tokens. This seems randomised, one of the tokens is always missing. Quite suspicious right?
    5. Platinum relics always show as sapphire but count towards platinum.

13. PixelButts

Go right on ahead. I dont mind.

I would assume that the data is fully cracked properly (now) and that a patch need not apply anymore, but when adding a patch again to these images it triggers it again?
    I have 0 modchip experience and dont have access to one but I will say the BIOS screen now displays pirate group nonsense (PS logo replaced with PDX and weird font choice, PlayStation text replaced with Paradox's phrase) followed by a (loud and annoying) menu which i assume is the NTSC-PAL selector (its positioned off screen on the PS3, no idea).
    On top of this the PS3's PS1 emulation is a tad weird. If you take a look over at http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Emulation#Files you can see what I'm getting at. It will take quite literally ANYTHING you throw at it, pirated or not (assuming it doesnt reject it, so CFW or dev hardware will take a burned disc).

Good chance the ppf replaced data in the EXE that has some form and the game data checks this. Do you know if the disc swap method works on spyro 3?

14. Helegad

Helegad PowerPC

The interview posted a few pages back with the programmer who implemented these techniques in Spyro 3 had a bit of a clue for you: he theorized that the protection may have been worked around by the hacker using a modified executable which will restore the original code to memory once the copy protection check has passed, thus staying undetected to the crack protections.

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

You dont need to patch spyro with a stealth modchip. The protection that detected modchips only worked on non stealth chips. All the people who had non stealth chips (which was a lot at the time - most didnt want to get their consoles remodded) had to wait for the protection to be patched, spyro had extra protection that detected if the files had been modified in addition to the modchip detection and now we have this thread.

The original unpatched ISO doesnt trigger the extra checks and stealth modchips bypass the first modchip check.

So the patch you are applying is for the first time.

16. Altro50

Altro50 Newly Registered

Is there any reason why I cannot PM you? (My email if you've got time to talk to me: altro50(at)msn.com)

In spyro 3, unlike spyro 1's beta dragons (which have their text stored in the main executable), dialogue is stored with the level;
    a WAD file is essentially build of many smaller WAD files (example of this is on early builds of spyro 1, where the GUI data (PETE.WAD) is stored seperately from the WAD file, where as in the final PETE.WAD was merged like any other WAD file; And on one demo build in particulair they accidentally slipped these files with the demo (oops!) https://imgur.com/a/CT3qp), every level is essentially a WAD file, just packed together as one on the disc.

17. PixelButts

Theres a way around that but I wont spoil it quite yet as some people do it for privacy reasons

Does the same apply to Spyro 2 by chance

18. Altro50

Altro50 Newly Registered

I haven't taken a good look at spyro 2, but I'm pretty sure that it does.