PSX DESR 5000/5500/7500

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Armorant, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Armorant

Armorant Spirited Member

Hope it works. Someday I will open it again too.

2. bonbon

bonbon Newly Registered

Hi gents,
    I need your helps.
    I have a sony PSX 7700. When i plug it in 100 VAC, i didn't see any thing happen, no sound, no led ( fan not turn, DVD and hard driver not running).
    When i open it to check, the power supply board is working good ( supply 12 VDC).
    Anyone can help me to check it?

Thanks.

3. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

Hey L_oliveira,

I have a DESR-5000 that has an issue with XMB freezing up after about 8 seconds - the blue blob in the top right stops moving and the console freezes up. I have successfully got FMCB to run on it - and managed to convert the XMB to English from Japanese. Can you tell me which files need to be replaced or restored in order for the XMB to be usable again or what error it could be getting?

Cheers,

4. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Did it even work properly in the first place, before you did any modding to the XMB? If it did not, maybe the HDD has developed bad sectors.

FootPrince likes this.
  5. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

Sorry, yes I should clarify - the XMB never worked properly. The unit would load to the XMB but it didn't seem to completely load up, as after around 7 seconds the blue blob would cease to move and the XMB would lock up.

Are there any work arounds for this - shy of continuing to use FMCB? Can the XMB be restored? I had carried out the Jap to Eng conversion with the hope that it would solve the locking up issue but its doing the same thing - only in English this time haha.

Thank you for your assistance.

6. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

sp193, is it possible to use the hdl_dumb program to access the Hard Drive on a PSX?

EDIT: *face palm* "Has no Japanese input support at the installer end"

7. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

IMO it is generally hard to determine what causes freezes because just anything could, but it is probably the HDD because this is the expandable part of this console. If it really is a problem with the HDD, the inevitable may happen soon.

I guess, there is some problem with the files in hdd0:__system. if you could replace the bad file(s) with good files, it would help. But you need to have access to similar files (likely from the same model of PSX, running the same firmware version). But because the HDD may be on its way out, simply writing new files may even worsen the problem (i.e. old file deleted, but new file cannot be written).

You can also use HDLGameInstaller with the PSX. But beware that if you do install any HDLoader-format games with any tool, the XMB will hang if you attempt to view the properties of any such game. I believe that this is caused by the partition not being formatted in PFS, which SCEI probably assumed that all partitions (created by games) on the HDD are formatted with.

FootPrince likes this.
  8. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

Cheers sp193.

One other minor question... is it possible to extract any recrdings saved to the Hard Drive?

I'm super keen to see if there are some cool Japanese shows that have been recorded on the drive and (if possible) transfer them to my PC via USB to play them since the XMB is no longer fully functional.

Appreciate your assistance.

9. svotib

svotib <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

And maybe can you try to update XMB with the update disk? (I do not know for sure whether this will work.)o_O

FootPrince likes this.
  10. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

I've had a look through the previous threads for a copy of this disc/s, would you perchance have a working link?

EDIT: Scratch that - found them. Ill give it a try.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  11. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Other than the official way (which is to burn them out), you would need customized software to browse that part of the HDD unit because no homebrew software supports it. Unfortunately. :|

One reason why you may never see homebrew software support it, is because it requires board-specific modules. I don't remember of these modules are even available in ROM. If not, then it also becomes a copyright problem because we cannot include such copyrighted code in homebrew software.

(But if you really, really, really want to, I can send you my old program that I used to dump all files from my PSX in 2013).

They cannot be burned for a normal PSX though. :(
    As you can see, there were various things like these that were obviously relaxed later on for the PS3 and PSP, that could really cripple the lifespan of the console. Thank goodness.

I think that is the most official way. The other way would be to get copies of the files from somebody else.

12. FootPrince

FootPrince Member

Yes, a copy of that program would be most appreciated. Ill PM you my email.

Cheers,