PlayStation 2 modchip model

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by helakustorm, Aug 2, 2017.

1. helakustorm

helakustorm Spirited Member

My logic was that in that time those points were needed for DVD playback and PlayStation 1 games but today only a few will use the PlayStation 2 for that.

So, that's why the modder didn't connect those points.

I have tested the remaining options (INFINITY CONFIGURATION MENU) and they work.

From my point of view if Y and S points were important for the modchip to work correctly then the PlayStation 2 backups would not work correctly.

Yesterday I have read some english/german articles about modchips and the use of the connected wires and some info from here on the forum. I will post the info here for reference:

3 Volt + power - self explanatory - ground - self explanatory

RST - reset point so modchip can detect reset button press to change the boot configuration

SX - SCEA, SCEE, SCEI, injected data for PS1 game

M N O P Q R U V W - all going to Bios chip to alter firmware by injecting data while the system boots, removes part of the copy protection (logo patch) and allows region free booting, 3rd party menu system, booting homebrew files etc

A B G H I - cd/dvd controller chip - removes 2nd part of hardware copy protection and region free booting - allows modchip to control the cd/dvd subsystem controller and sync with bios data injection

CX - PS2 internal clock oscillator - when modchip has onboard clock crystal its used to sync modchip data to PS2

Y - screen fix to force video mode
    If the matrix logo is showing at startup, then your "M, N, O, P, Q, T, U, V, R, W, CX, 3.3v and GND" Points are working perfectly. SX is for PS1 backup/import support, if it boots PS1 backups and/or imports then that point is working. "Y" is for Region Free DVD Playback, if it boots an out of region movie then your ok for that point. "A G H I B" are the PS2 backup/import support points so if its not booting up your PS2 backups and/or imports, i would check/rework those.
    Es gibt die Möglichkeit den Chip nur halb einzubauen. Ich nenne das "Einbau lite". Dabei werden nur die allerwichtigsten Leitungen angeschlussen. Bei den meisten Chips sind das:
    - BIOS: MNOPQTUVRW
    - GND + 3,3V
    - Reset (Bei Crystal stattdessen TO)
    - Bei einigen Chips wie dem ModBo 750 kommt noch CX dran.

Weggelassen wird
    - DVD Controller: ABGHI
    - PS1 Pins: Y (beim Duo 2/3 heißt der "X"), SX (aka S aka SCEx)
    - Action Replay: Z (wenn vorhanden)

Nach diesem Einbau sollte das menü des Chips sowie Einbleundungen funktionieren. Außerdem steht der Devolution Mode zur Verfügung, also das Booten von MemoryCard und HDD.
    Sinn des Ganzen ist es Fehler auszuschließen. Kommt beispielsweise kein Bild, kann man die verbindung an ABGHI gut ausschließen, da diese ja nicht angeschlossen sind.

As you can see they are three opinions about the Y POINT: one said it has to do with the DVD Playback Region, one said it has to do with the VIDEO MODE (for what? DVD, PlayStation 1 or PlayStation 2?) and the last said it has to the with the PlayStation 1 region (from my understanding).

At the beginning I was thinking that the Y POINT it is related to "PS2 SCREEN FIX - Y SCREEN FIX) options from the INFINITY CONFIGURATION MENU.
    But I tested that options and it's not related to.

Anyway thanks Bad_Ad84 for you help :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 4:32 AM
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

For all functions of the modchip to work, you need all the points.

If you are happy with some functions not working, leave them unconnected I guess. (ps1, video patches, what ever)

But if you are going to all the hassle to install a ps2 chip (they aren't exactly the easiest installs) and then just leave 2 wires? Seems insane to me.

helakustorm likes this.
  3. helakustorm

I've bought it modded from the seller.

Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to solder that points.

Thats why for the moment I will leave them unconnected.

4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

That makes sense (from your point of view). I dont however see the point of the original modder doing it in the first place. Saving 2 wires really isnt going to save much time.

helakustorm likes this.
  5. helakustorm

Strangely, testing Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits NTSC-US (v2.01 named on RD site) on 90004 (modded with Matrix Infinity 1.99 modchip) doesn't work (black screen).
    Testing the game again on 77004 (modded with M7 MP-788 modchip) worked.
    The rest of the games that I've tested (30 games) worked on both console and modchips.
    Two possibilities:
    - Matrix Infinity 1.99 modchip doesn't support this version of the game (bad modchip compatibility);
    - because of the Y and S point this version of the game is not supported (from my point of view I don't think this is the problem).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 7:17 AM