1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Official Rhea Discussion

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by citrus3000psi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. neuroacid

neuroacid Active Member

Did you add the line "reset_goto = 1" to your Rhea.ini configuration file?

The way it works on the current release (v0.2) is as follows:
    - Holding A+B+C+START at a game's title screen should exit to the CD player while resetting the ODE at the same time, then from there just wait a bit for the RMENU disc image to be recognized and press start to load it.

- Pressing the reset button on the console does a full reset (including the ODE), allowing you to get back to the RMENU, instead of the regular behavior that is just a soft-reset.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  2. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Figured it out.

I had a Rhea. Only because that was what was available, though our goal was to put the ODE in a clear "This is Cool" unit. So we sold off the old machine because we finally got a Phoebe. When I got rid of the Rhea in February all I was getting to work was v0.13 because of that .2b freeze thing. I moved everything over from backups and did not change the name of Rhea.ini to instead be named Phoebe.ini

Being able to reset back to Rmenu with a pit stop at the CD station is now working! Thank you very much. This pairs well with the bluetooth controllers. Now if only we could increase the internal storage and not have to go back and forth with the memory card.

3. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

So any idea if we can play CD+G or VCD off the SD cards?

4. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

I know you can play CD+G from SD card, with Rhea installed, but not yet with Phoebe.

I also asked Deunan to include CD+G support to Phoebe on a new FW release, as I own a Phoebe, and I really appreciate this feature.

I'm not sure about VCD compatibility. But it should work. VCD's are multi track discs which Rhea/Phoebe should handle easily, unlike CD+G that resides on subcode support. You still need VCD card inserted on your Saturn for playing VCD of course.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  5. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Just documenting for posterity, the
    SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A) class 10 SDXC
    formatted with FAT32 using miniaide Fat32 formatter, does in fact work with the phoebe. I've not loaded it fully as it just came in the mail today and I was testing it out first. We got ours from eBay for $39 + $6 shipping from a USA seller, and it checked out as legit.... but they are now sold out.

6. toxic9

toxic9 Active Member

I just want to share this information:

RMENU v0.2 creator application can crash because of some games were not correctly mastered on factory, and are missing disc number information (eg: DISC 1/1), like SEGA FLASH VOL 1 and SEGA FLASH VOL 2. This discs make RMENU creator crash.

Manual Fix:
    You need to add the number of discs information to the image file header before running the RMENU creator application.
    You need an Hexadecimal Editor for this (HxD is an excellent free hexadecimal editor).

Hope neuroacid fix his appication in a newer release.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  7. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

I've noticed that the 0.13 vs 0.2 background color is black on the earlier release, and more of a charcoal grey on the newer. Would it be possible to either change back to the nice black, as the charcoal looks crummy on a crt, or even have a code in rhea.ini, or phoebe.ini that gives a number value to change background or text colors with a value say 1 - 16 or the like? That would be very cool.

Also, another great suggestion would be having left and right jump a full page of games. I am aware that the shoulder buttons currently do this. However, the everdrive does the left and right so I find myself doing that all the time. Insignificant, but it would be cool.

For anyone that may not know, you get to edit your titles before you finalize your card by running the .exe file. In this opportunity we found that adding the genre and a hyphen prior to the game title makes a quick and easy sorting tool. So that games are grouped by type.
    Example:
    Action - game title
    Action - game title
    Shooter - game title
    Shooter - game title

With the 200GB card I calculate up to 465 games will fit, based on the 90 we loaded on ours so far. We won't come close with ripping our titles, and adding a few unobtainable we want to play. Will probably add VCD, CD+G if they add the function to phoebe, and just audio cds as they actually work great, and why not... there is plenty of space.

Ultimately I'm especially looking forward to some kind of image or icon, but as always treasure having a menu. Our whole family is so very thankful for Rmenu @neuroacid

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  8. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Member

I am having a problem with 1 specific game. Gungriffon. I have tried dumps from both Redump and Darkwater and neither of them work. Both are in MDS/MDF format. I have 234 other games and they are all recognized by RMENU as they should be and boot up. Gungriffon however shows as NOT A SATURN DISC even when remaking the rmenu iso. This is the only game. Can anyone verify this game working?

9. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

There are two Gungriffon games. What region and title? I don't have any of those but will try it out.

10. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Member

It's the first one. NTSC-U

Fogamer Six likes this.
  11. Night-Dweller

Night-Dweller Member

Well it appears that both the Redump and Darkwater dumps of Gungriffon (NTSC-U) are bad. I tried both dumps in 2 separate formats (MDF/MDS and IMG/CCD/SUB) and Rhea would not recognize them. I didn't try without Rmenu but I doubt that had anything to do with it. I decided to go to Emuparadise.org and get an image file from them to try. To my surprise it worked flawlessly.

Fogamer Six likes this.
  12. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Has anyone had luck getting Discworld 1 / 2 to work on an NTSC Saturn, or is the audio sync issue just not able to overcome?

13. AlejandroVM

AlejandroVM Member

Hi! Mr. @neuroacid, I want to ask something: did you plan to port your tool to unix (so it can be used on W10, GNU/Linux and OSX)? Me made a shitty script (lastest) that later Mr. @megatronuk perfectioned, but a all-in-one tools (all on the same zip) could be a great improvement.

Thanks in advance.

14. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Figured out a work around to get directories. Now there can be folders sorted by genre. It is time consuming to enact, but it would be great if someone with programming skills @neuroacid could implement something to do all the work.

Goal: When Rhea comes up, a list of directories comes up. You pick a genre. It then loads the directory, and you get a list of the directories at the top, and then the games you have in that directory right below it. Choose a game and it plays OR pick another directory and it moves to that directory along with displaying the directories again at the top, and the games in the other director below that. If you do the soft reset out of a game, it takes you back to the main directory list that does not show any games.

I have this fully working on my Phoebe now. However, it is time consuming in that you have to add the games one at a time, and build out an Rmenu.iso twice for every game you want to add. It is far from simple, but does work great.

If anybody is interested in more details or pic / video I'll try to help.

Thanks

rayik24 likes this.
  15. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Oh, also, is there a way to remove the "produced by" splash screen from the rhea.iso files? You have to look at that for a second between directory changes, as you are basically loading another Rmenu.iso every time you change the directory.

16. VGPBuckA51

VGPBuckA51 Active Member

I won the Rhea lottery recently and grabbed a unit for myself and this has been driving me crazy today. I know last time I had a Saturn with a Rhea in for testing that I successfully converted images into .cdi by mounting in Daemon tools then using Discjuggler to convert them, but on the latest Daemon Tools it no longer works :( Rmenu just says it's not a Saturn game. This is with Daemon Tools 10.6 and verified good images.

Converting an original Saturn CD on the same PC worked perfectly.

17. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

Ive been using UltraISO and it converts great in either cdi or mdf.

18. Flappyraccoon

Flappyraccoon Spirited Member

That's because they changed something internally in Daemon Tools with the newer versions. I forgot where I read it but for Rhea use Daemon Tools 4.49.1.0356 to mount your games. Then with Discjuggler 6.00.1400 create the cdi with options "Scan gaps/indexes, R-W (CD+G), PQ, RAW Read, Verify Image) selected. Should work then. At least I've had no problems with the 73 images I've converted thus far. Also if you plan to use an action replay and play Panzer Dragoon Saga it can be patched but there's a wonky way to convert that game I can give tips if needed.

19. Fogamer Six

Fogamer Six Member

20. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

CD+G works on Rhea, does not work on Phoebe.

VCD works on all of them, but you will need a VCD card with matching region because the region override on the ODEs will not bypass the region lock on the carts themselves. An Action Replay works according to some, I just use a region free bios.

Unlikely since it is part of the BIOS bootup sequence, iirc.