New Ataribox Info

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by PixelButts, Sep 26, 2017.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

Yep, looks to be what I expected
    -Linux
    -AMD
    -Wood
    http://mailchi.mp/ataribox/first-look-ataribox-design-36241?e=c79b3ff5e6

However this strikes me the wrong way and I cant place why quite yet.

2. Durandal

Durandal Rising Member

Probably that INSANE price tag. If they think that the Atari brand has long enough legs to support minimum $249, they're either all incredibly high or incredibly stupid.

Yakumo likes this.
  3. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

If you buy into their somewhat suggesting possible Steam support ("you can access games you've bought from other content platforms (if compatible with the OS and HW)."), $250 may not be that bad. Otoh it sounds a bit like they might be relying on "the community" to most of that up and running - that's assuming there's gonna be a community in the first place.

4. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

It's the new Phantom/ Coleco Chameleon.

5. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

How is this different from a raspberry pi?

There are a thousand ways to hook a computer up to a TV. The only reason to buy a game console is for the controller and exclusives.
    Looks like this will have neither.

6. Mr. Sky

Mr. Sky Weeaboo Trash Musician

Wow. Can't really say i'm too surprised about this tbh.

The $249 - $299 price tag is way higher than i'm willing to pay for something that's honestly not that groundbreaking or even exciting. Every console does these things these days, the only real appeal I can see coming from this is mainly because it's just got the Atari name on it.

7. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

1: Resorting to crowd funding
    2. Resorting to Indiegogo crowd funding

rso likes this.
  8. rso

x86_64 architecture, i.e. a lot of commercial games will (potentially) already run on it

9. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Robust Member

at least it's real wood.

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. In my mind the name Atari means crap. That could be because I'm not American and as a result did really have Atari all over the place as a kid. I see them as a company years behind the likes of Sega and Nintendo when it came to the home market. I do remember when the Master System and NES were being advertised wihile Atari were trying to flog off the 7800. . Even then I remember thinking "who'd want that crap when the Mester System and NES looked so much better and at a similar price." and that was the mind set of an 11 or 12 year old.

Durandal and arnoldlayne like this.
  11. rso

Owned (and loved) the ST (if they offered PC-inside-keyboard steam machines with that style, I might actually bite), but Atari never struck me as a "games" company. I knew about the Lynx and played a few Atari-branded PC games, but wasn't even aware of the {26,52,78}00 until much later.

12. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

What a pile of wank. It's not a gaming PC for that price. It's too expensive to be a set top box (which they're marketing it as) to compete with anything else. They should just have gone with a Pi or made a platform using hardware of a similar spec... except, of course, they don't have the money to actually make something original.

Oh, and the whole "it's not a closed system" doesn't tally with a pay marketplace. What a load of crap!

You're basically paying for their GUI. No thanks!

13. Topsnek

Topsnek Snack Eater

Seems like an more expensive Ouya or a more expensive Nintendo Classic console. The wood ataribox would be cool, not for 250 though.

14. darkspire17

darkspire17 Peppy Member

"grab special editions" This is starting to give me bad memmories of Mike and the RVGS/CC controversy

15. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015 Staff Member

16. spoonrage

spoonrage Active Member

Im sure they meant a price of £2.49p.. sounds about right for Atari stuff.

17. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Sharing a CPU doesn't magically make things compatible. Infact the CPU doesn't matter if your software is written in a portable language as long as the CPU is sufficient for getting the job done.

18. rso

Mostly* true, the porting effort can be as small as just recompiling**, but still, commercial games released for the Pi (using this as an example just because it was already mentioned before) are few and far between. You need access to the code, which you, the end user, don't have, and most devs/publishers just don't bother. Not to mention, neither Steam nor GOG (nor any other major game distribution system I know of) have been made available either. Ever watched a total noob trying to figure out how to use a package manager to install sth from an external source?

* A "portable language" isn't a silver bullet. Speaking from experience: Someone will figure out a way to make the code unportable (or at least very laborious to do). Yes, that includes Python and Java. Always assume your coworkers are idiots who don't know what they're doing, until proven otherwise.

** Given your target system provides the same libraries, and the hardware supports the same features. On the Pi the main sticking point is the GPU, which is a bit on the shitty side with only GLESv2.

19. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo Spirited Member

I am hoping the factor that wakes people to reality is over pricing and the Indigogo RED FLAG (to little actually comes of most Indigogo funding and many just bolt with everyone's money without delivering anything) , the fact that "ATARI" could not even use Kickstarter instead is very telling, we will have to wait and see, priced right I would consider it just for the case and styling (knowing full well support is likely to be lame) - overall ever since earlier talks about PC technology I have to say this is about EXACTLY what I was expecting, in other words a low powered PC hardware box with Linux core that streams with apps etc. THIS IS LIKE A THOUSAND OTHER STREAMING BOXES you can import from cheap Chinese sites like AliExpress / DX . com etc. It seems about the only thing that will set it apart (IF IT EVEN COMES TOGETHER AS THEY CLAIM) is the addition of bundled Atari games (emulated like on Android on I am guessing) and a 2600 theme / styling. Even just as that could have been a fun impulse grab at the right pricing level just for collectors purposes but it is sounding like that styling along with the logo / licensing and bundle of Atari games is exactly why they seem to feel they can waaaaaay over charge for this. If that is the case I think I will just get a similar device at a 3rd of the cost and simply slap on some woodgrain MAKtac, install my own emulated Atari games and call it a day. Sure it may not be "official" but it will be something likely almost as good if not better.

TRY TO REMEMBER FOLKS THIS IS NOT REALLY "ATARI" IT IS SIMPLY A NAME / LICENSE / IP acquired by people looking to bank on your love and nostalgia for the original company. Some, actually many people always seem to want to believe that it is something more, it really isn't. And hey that is fine, even I would buy into something like this merely for that Atari logo if it were priced at an impulse buy level but it does not look like that will be the case so imho buying into and supporting such crap tells these companies how gullible and accepting we are to buy into ANYTHING and ANY PRICE, vote with your dollars folks and send the proper message.

Just to add for those wondering about the integrity / history of those currently involved with "ATARIBOX" here is something to consider posted now by Larry Bundy on Facebook - Pasted exactly from his original post - CREDIT / THANKS to Larry Bundy!

Larry Bundy
    2 hrs ·
    Anyone who is thinking in investing in that AtariBox, I seriously recommend you have a long, hard think about doing so.
    The project is run by a man with a track record of abandoned kickstarters and using either Chinese knock-offs or over the counter items you could easily build yourself.He screwed up his USB memory wristband Kickstarter so much, he ended up sending all the backers an email on how to build them themselves >.>
    Anyhoo, here's a video on his previous projects:

20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Completely disinterested. Seems like they're jumping on the Steam Machine train. As people have said earlier, looks like Ouya Part 2.