Making the most of Sony PVM-20L4 inputs..?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LukeLexeme, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Favourite Nintendo console

1. NES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SNES

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  3. N64

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. GCN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wii U

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Switch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LukeLexeme

LukeLexeme <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I have a Sony PVM-20L4, and am currently only using the analog BNC RBG input, as to be expected for most users. That being said, there are a few other inputs on the monitor; what seem to be 1 s-video input (not sure if it is, it isnt clear), and a few 'digital' inputs. Does anyone on this forum have any idea what the digital inputs are - I can't seem to find any resource that explains their connectivity. If i wished to connect a DVD player to the digital inputs for example, would that be possible?

Best,
    LL

2. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

Not sure about the digital connections, it might require specific professional equipment to use.

If you want to use a DVD player your BNC RGB input may double as a Component Video connection. But I would advise against putting hours on your tube to watch movies when you could do that on a modern TV. As for S-Video, I use my S-Video connection for the GameCube and N64 which don't normally support RGB.

3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Looking at pictures of the 20L4's inputs, I don't see the "digital" inputs you're referring to. I see parallel remote and serial remote ports, which are for wired remotes. Is that what you're referring to? If not, then your monitor must be different from the ones I'm looking at.

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Is this plugged into the option slots at the left side of the rear panel? If so, it sounds like a BKM-120D, and should have "120D" printed on the panel at the bottom.

In that case, it's a standard definition SDI adapter, and honestly not that useful for gaming, since SDI is a format that's only used by pro video gear.

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator Staff Member

There are some relatively cheap SDI converters out there that seem okay, I toyed with getting one for my BVM since it accepts the higher resolutions.

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If that is the card I think it is, then it only takes SD 4:2:2 SDI inputs. Generally speaking, Sony mark the HD-SDI inputs as "HD-SDI" and "Digital" just means regular SDI.

Borman likes this.
  7. LukeLexeme

LukeLexeme <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Average game completion time: 20h
    Average movie watch time: 1.5h

... appreciate the advice mate, but it's really not that deep! My PVM is in amazing condition, and was made to be used. Everything is replaceable and nothing lasts forever :)

8. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

While that may be true that a game burns more hours than a movie, those will add up still. I could see using it for watching analog movie formats like VHS or Laserdisc but if you're going to watch a DVD it seems a bit silly to me to use a 480i display. But I don't know your situation so maybe it makes sense or is easier for you to use it that way.

While you say everything is replaceable, your PVM is not. While yes you could obtain another one, eventually there won't be any to obtain as they aren't going to make any new ones. So the thought is to make it last by not using it for TV & Movie watching that could be accomplished on modern TVs. I agree however, enjoy it while you can.