Look what I found in a trash Amiga Philips msx2

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by Alessio, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

After a power cord replacement the msx seems to work, or at least it starts... Now like for the Amiga it's a problem to test it IMG_20170906_010504.jpg IMG_20170906_010446.jpg

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

You can build a ps2 to amiga mouse converter.

3. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Looks good from here, video signal looks sharp, booting to basic is a good sign. I would say the only things you will have to worry about on this machine (or any MSX in general) are the floppy disk drive belts which most likely will need replacing.
    Here is more info on this machine: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Philips_NMS_8280
    Does it come with the keyboard?

4. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

No,sadly Amiga and msx were trashed without keyboards or mouse ... This is the biggest problem for me to test those two things

5. sabre470

Try the marketplace on msx.org, you might find someone who has a keyboard to sell, it's worth re-posting this thread in the hardware section of their forum. Failing that all you need really to test it is a controller and an MSX cartridge. You won't be able to test floppies and any advanced functions of that machine. MSX controllers can be pricey these days this is what I use for mine: https://www.msx.org/wiki/How_to_get_joypad_very_cheap_for_MSX
    keep us posted on your progress, it's a pretty cool machine you got there.

6. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

Wait are you telling me that the msx I have is a gaming console? Because I thought it was a computer like the Amiga . So the slot on the side is for cartridges?
    I need to find a game . The controller mod is super ultra easy for me , and I should own somewhere a controller from a megadrive or master system clone . I also found a joystick with the Amiga and msx ... Maybe it could be for the msx and not for the Amiga as I thought. Thank you for the info

7. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

Sorry for the blasphemy, it's not a console ,it's a computer... I'm learning something through Wikipedia now. I'm a computer technician and hardware / electronic / smartphone repair , but those thechnologies for me are too old. My first computer memory is about the commodore 64 from my father ,that I used to play games in 1989 till 1992 circa (I'm from 1985), then only consoles till 16 years ,when my family finally bought our first pc after 2 years of insistent request by me every 2 seconds . Before that date the only computer I used were the one at school (4 years earlier at the new computer room ) and one from a friend of me that was useless to our eyes because the megadrive and psx could do 100 time better. You can't even imagine what we had to do only to install carmageddon 1 on a pentium 75mhz with 32megs of ram and 1.2gigs of hdd . After 1 hour deleting files ( files of his father) , and 1 hour to install , and finally opening the game ( in 5 minutes) and find it running at something like 2fps . I tried internet for the first time on a sega Dreamcast back in 1999 , and had my first Dsl line (256k) in 2002. And now finally it's my job , thanks to the instant love and passion for electronics

8. BubbaMc

BubbaMc Member

Even untested you could get around $1K for that. List it on Amibay when you're ready to sell.

9. Alessio

Alessio Rising Member

I suppose you talk about msx2 , but from what I saw looking around, the Amiga is more valuable. The msx2 is in the 180€ range . Does mine have something particular that rise the price? Is it for the 128k memory?

10. sabre470

So funny ;) Don't worry, I use mine mainly as a console :)

11. BubbaMc

BubbaMc Member

Sorry I was referring to the Amiga, quoted the wrong post :)

For what it's worth, if I were you I'd get hold of a keyboard and mouse and keep it. The system has an amazing game library! With WHDLoad installed you would have a brilliant gaming machine that will only increase in value.

I understand you're an electronics tech, however there's a guy in New Zealand that does very well priced repairs on Amiga motherboards, he will do a thorough test with a full report and get it working like new again. These older machines with battery damage often have underlying issues that can't easily be identified if you're not familiar with the hardware. If you're interested here's his website: http://amiga.serveftp.net/index.html

I'd also recommend swapping out the PSU with a new ATX unit.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  12. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

Keep both of em. I like MSX better, but each has their own benefits

sabre470 likes this.