"Jailbreaking" PS3 4.30 OFW

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by UFCGet, Oct 10, 2017.

1. UFCGet

UFCGet Newly Registered

Hello,

Recently I saw this:
    https://www.psxhax.com/threads/ps3-3k-jailbreak-faq.2886/
    Further discussion here:
    https://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/917522301796597760

I have a PHAT CECHG04 on 4.20 OFW.

Is is this soft "jailbreak" still possible?

I tried searching for Webkit Payload on <= 4.30 OFW but no results. Decided to post this here since both @mathieulh (original author) and @PixelButts (seems to know quite a bit)

Thanks in advance!

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

What you saw is clickbait and I suggest you stop caring about that site.
    What you should care about is that 3k/4k models still need an exploit to do anything, but with [a couple thousand dollars worth of] equipment you can mod a 3k/4k model but it must be applied every boot.

It's been this way for a long time but because the resources required and no exploit are in the way it's not practical. And because 80% of all ps3's can be jailbroken anyway.

In short: it doesnt matter, it wont matter, theres no need to even discuss it since it's been discussed time and time again with the same results every time

UFCGet likes this.
  3. UFCGet

UFCGet Newly Registered

Hi PixelButts,
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I am aware that that site is not that "honest" but seeing that mathieuhl and you had posted on Twitter I believed something could be done. The only reason why I decided to post.

I am aware of the scams going around PS3. I also know that I can downgrade with a flasher. But I have got bored of this PS3 and would really like to experiment with anything.
    Furthermore RSX exploits are mentioned on the PSWiki and on other reputable sites. No doubt for lower firmware and for developers only.
    Again, I only asked because mathieuhl was mentioned on that site. Any other "tricks" I could do on it, on that firmware? Already tried Backup Injection and dumping the IDPS. Tbh I am really bored and willing to try some cool stuff and poking around (if there is any to be poked around). Simply for fun.

Thank your for your reply! Btw what do you think of esc0rtd3w's currect Websploit work? Is that a complete hoax aswell?

4. PixelButts

Hi

Irrelevant but that was one reason we never mentioned it CAN be done.

You're gonna experiment with bricks if you try

You need a new exploit not because the older ones work better (i mean they do but still) but because they fixed exploits that were used and minimum firmware also makes the system unable to utilize what's already there. It's either find a new exploit or just ignore it. Ignoring being the much easier (and preferred) option.

There's really not much else to do.

I didnt even answer anything
    009348.png
    Irrelevant because I dont care enough to care about it. This is the first time I've heard about it and I just dont see any reason to care about it.

fate6 likes this.
  5. smf

smf mamedev

You can downgrade your PS3 using a hardware flasher.

6. PixelButts

Not on superslims to my knowledge. Again I wouldn't bother

7. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

True, but his CECHG ps3 can be downgraded using a hardware flasher.
    Its a NAND console though