1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Dumb question about these 3rd party 128mb memory cards

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by hugh, Jul 13, 2017.

1. hugh

hugh Robust Member

NOTE: The ebay link in this post is used for an example and that I do not plan on buying from this buyer or am I fermlier with this seller.

Is anyone using these 3rd party 128mb memory cards? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Skool-P...%3A3a489af315d0ab15e9e296dffffcd6be%7Ciid%3A1

What I really am asking is anyone trust these memory cards? I hate to put my saves on it, then the next day they be gone like some of the 3rd party memory cards did for the PSX.

Thanks for your input! :)

=hugh

2. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

For saves, I think they will work quite well. But beware that there are a handful of games that do not work properly with cards larger than 16MB.

My own 64MB cards have an unofficial chipset, labelled "CMD9800". They have the same MCID and appear to support MagicGate file decryption and binding correctly. However, the authentication of the card does not work reliably (card may take a while to be successfully authenticated or may fail to be accessed at the first attempt), so they are not very good for use with FMCB.

For games, you can retry loading/saving, so they do work well for that purpose. After the first access attempt (when the card is authenticated), it works very well.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Thanks for your response. :)

So you suggest for the safest best is to stay with not larger then 16mb memory cards? The only cards have FMCB on them are Sony 8mb cards and I only use them for access my HD and "back up" games. One for back up and one for I use.

I was just looking at these cards because they where cheep for what they are, what about using them as a back up card. Back up your save game to it, then erase the original on the other card (Sony 8mb for example). Then later coping the back up back over to the original card when you want to go back to that game?

Thanks for your advice! :)

=hugh

4. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Nah, I would just use my games with the 128MB card (no need to move your saves back and forth). Until today, I believe I have only found one game that did not work well with the large card.

But beware that because these are no-name memory cards, it is not impossible for there to be a few of them out there that were many by different manufacturers or are of differing qualities.

5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

All mysterious huh. I haven't heard about PS2 itself (the BIOS & OS level) having trouble with large cards.

Certainly some games don't like it. But I don't know if it's laziness or intentional. Since Sony only released one size, developers never had much reason to anticipate a memory card would ever report over 8MB free.

6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Somewhat related: I've been using the same Sony 8MB card for the past 13 years (I think), and I still haven't run out of space, though it's getting close.

7. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

There's no resident OS/BIOS that deals with the hardware. The game can replace the default modules with its own, but hardware access is always done via the SCE IOP modules.
    So the issue itself is very strange because it would imply that (at least some of) the SONY libraries have problems with large cards...

Tell you guys what, don't quote me on the compatibility issue because I saw it happen many years ago. I was a pirate and so my games were running via OPL.
    I find it hard to believe that my card got corrupted by a game (Zoids Struggle, I believe), so it may have involved other factors.

SCE also documented their memory cards as being "Memory Card (8MB)". It may be possible that they never intended to release memory cards in other capacities.

I've seen at least one game that took up a few MB of space for its saves. :(
    So it would depend on what you play and how many games you have.

One issue now is that there are no new genuine cards, since they've been out of production for years.

8. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

WWF Smackdown Just Bring It eats half a card. Embarrassing.

9. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Try Drakan: The Ancient's Gates for size. PC game save concepts (just WRITE ALL TEH STATES, including all actors and items across all levels) do not translate too well to consoles. Oh, and let's force a save every time a new region is entered.
    (Game was still fun though.)

10. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Peppy Member

the new ver 128 fixed bad block issue

11. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Hard to imagine we once had to use Memory cards to save and it wasn't even that long ago.

12. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Memory cards? You whippersnappers and your newfangled contraptions. We had to squireel away 32+-character passwords, and we liked it! Now get off my lawn!