1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Discovered FireFox

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by peterjack, Jul 14, 2017.

1. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Depending on the version of IE you use, it can be a standards breaker (i.e. pages that work on IE do not work well on other browsers or vice-versa). It may also be slower than other browsers (as I remember IE 7.0 vs Firefox 1.5 anyway), has support for ActiveX (security vulnerability) and has no support for extensions that customizes its behaviour.

For at least me, I really did not like the idea of using a browser that broke the HTML/CSS standards.

But if you're just looking for a web browser that only browses the Internet regardless of its problems, well... Internet Explorer does work.

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

Vastly improved than IE, still not something I want to touch even though it's on par with Firefox/Chrome now

3. svotib

svotib <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

I do not know why you guys do not like Chrome? I use it every day and I'm quite happy with his work.
    And I use FireFox on Windows XP, because FireFox ESR is almost the only modern browser that still supports Windows XP and is updated from time to time.

4. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Who would create an account to post an off-topic question about internet browsers is the real question here.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015 Staff Member

[​IMG]

Syclopse likes this.
  6. Darkhero

Darkhero Active Member

I've been using Firefox since around 2008 and I have no desire to change. Tried chrome for a bit but I didn't want Google to track me more than they already do. On my main PC there isn't really much of a difference (if any) in terms of performance between the two.

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Barely any add-on support. No sugoi.

8. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Hasn't everyone moved on to Chrome?

9. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

Chrome has support for a really awesome extension that can help me in one of my favourite games, but I don't feel like I want to give up the browser that made me love the Internet. Particularly when it's still serving me well.

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I was using Chrome for a long time, but at some point I did some comparisons with Safari, and found that Safari is generally faster. I like Safari's interface a lot more too. So now I pretty much just use Safari, though I use Chrome for Windows (but I don't do much web browsing in Windows).

11. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Firefox is great when it isn't slowing down to a crawl and using a shit ton of CPU.

12. Krayzar

Krayzar 75% Weasels by Volume

IE 4 LYFE!

Seriously, Firefox and chrome a the only usable browsers with decent plugin support these days. I use both.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

Chrome botnet, no thanks. I use Palemoon.

14. stayhye

stayhye Member

Waterfox portable all the way. All that complaining about firefox will go away with this clone/fork......I can't see why people use Chrome. Not nearly as many useful addons.

15. FlamingSpaz

FlamingSpaz Active Member

Y'all should give Firefox another shot, the past 2 years of performance work is finally starting to land in the stable releases and holy crap it's fast and only getting faster. Nightly definitely feels just as fast as Chrome.

As for forks, you're much better off using Chrome and being datamined by Google. The forks are usually a handful of people changing up core parts of code and most likely introducing a ton of security issues.

16. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Chromium. Too bad Opera turned from the shit to just plain shit...

Also, I recommend installing some extra adblock filters to block (most of) Google's (amongst others, like Fecesbook...) domains altogether, just for good measurement.

17. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

I've recently migrated from Firefox to Vivaldi for my Windows and Linux installs. Firefox was good and it's UI is decent enough and configurable. However its so slow and crashes a whole bunch. Chrome is decent performance wise, but Google constantly forces users into doing what they *think* users want, as opposed to letting us choose what we want ourselves.

Personally I like Vivaldi because it uses the same engine like Chrome, but gives you freedom of choice to customize the browser the way you want. You want a traditional File Menu bar, Status bar, Stacked tabs, or even separated search bar beside your URL bar? No problem! You can configure all of this and more to your hearts content. Sure, they might recommend defaults, but they don't hide the settings from you or prevent you from regressing back to the way you liked things. In addition, because it uses the same engine as Chrome, you get the whole plug-in ecosystem as well as they work both in Chrome and Vivaldi.

18. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

I found essentially all of my Firefox crashes to be mainly caused by Flash. It affects Chrome too. But seeing how it only affects some PCs, it probably does not affect everyone.

I do not understand how it could have gotten so bad, but thankfully it will be dead soon.

19. ktfdemo111

ktfdemo111 Nintendo Demo and Collect

Personally prefer chrome

20. Syclopse

Syclopse .