A Bunch of Saturn Dev Software

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by tdijital, Apr 4, 2016.

1. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Peppy Member

wow, thank's share :)

2. Ced2911

Ced2911 Newly Registered

Hi thanks for the share. I get an access denied on the link? Is it normal ?

3. tdijital

tdijital Member

It should be re-enabled. I took down the img files I posted and accidentally took down the zip with the dump of files. If you want to check out the zip it's back up.

Once again the guy that owns these is thinking about selling them. He has a bunch more than this. He is a great guy too. I'll let you know if he tells me where he's planning on auctioning them. Hopefully whoever buys them likes to share :)

4. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

Always when I'm broke :( heh

5. cafealpha2

cafealpha2 Site Supporter 2015

Thank you for sharing theses development resources !!!

I just checked Saturn development related files, and found some interesting ones :

- Sega Developer Tools\SATURN\DOCUMENT\SATURN\TUTORIAL -> Tutorial.pdf : contains a VERY complete overview of Saturn hardware. Recommended to everyone (from newcomer to veteran) wanting to do some Saturn homebrew project !
    - Sega Developer Tools\SATURN\EXAMPLES\DSP : sample project using SCU DSP ... I'm not sure it was made public until now.
    - Sega Developer Tools\SATURN\LIBRARY\SBL : SBL, probably older than the one available in SaturnOrbit ? It contains sample program source (SEGAGAM1) that wasn't released so far too.
    - Sega Developer Tools\SATURN\LIBRARY\SGL_1.3 : old version of SGL, packed in USR131.EXE : no sources for SGL itself (only .A and include files), but many sample projects. Documentation is in Japanese only.
    - Sega Developer Tools\SATURN\EXAMPLES\VSHELL4 : Low level C/ASM library for Saturn. Contains nearly all essentials parts, except CD block related ones. Modern libraries such as iapetus or libyaul are more complete IMHO, but this VSHELL4 is a good find anyway :)

There are also many tools, sources etc for 32X, but I don't know if theses weren't made public so far or not.

Is it possible to publish development resources with other ones already available on internet ?
    "Development resources" means :
    - Libraries, sample code sources, technical TXTs/PDFs, compiler output (.o, .a files, etc), development executables (compilers, conversion programs, etc).
    And excludes :
    - Game builds, game level/graphics data, misc resources (for example Sega Channel related)

And if it's possible to publish development resources, what should be credited near theses documents ? (example : "special thanks to tdijital for sharing the documents", a link to some homepage, etc)

Wow, do you have other development resources ? There are still (few) dudes making things for Saturn, so please inform us if theses are auctioned :)

6. tdijital

tdijital Member

@cafealpha2 Thanks for the breakdown that's awesome. I know when I was digging around when I first posted about these I did find a link that had a Sega Developer Tools from a later year. So I assumed newer versions of this stuff was out there.

Yeah the guy has a bunch of floppy disks and he thinks he may have even more CD's. When I first met him he swore he saw stuff from Panzer Dragoon on one of the disks. It could be just wishful thinking and his memories manipulating the past a bit unintentionally. A lot of collectors know that would be the holy grail and memories can be malleable. He isn't a video game collector though he just came across these in the late 90's and has had them since.

I will follow up with him today. I sent an email asking if I could share images of the disks and he asked me to hold off and that he was thinking of auctioning them, but that's all I heard. He is somewhat old school so I don't think he meant ebay.

Also no need to credit me. I just think this stuff is cool and wanted to share / learn more.

@retro Ha I hear you about the money thing. I asked the guy if he would be interested in selling the lot knowing full well I don't have the money :p

7. Druid II

Druid II Officer at Arms

Most of the docs on the DTS disc are present on other DTS discs too, the June 1995 one has the above mentioned game sample, and the March 96 has all the other stuff and newer versions of SBL and SGL. Still, it is extremely nice to finally have proper CD images of one, for a change. Things like the timestamps on the files can give out quite a lot of useful details, and when you just do a folder dump, they tend to be changed by things like thumbnail files.
    So, thank you very much for dumping these. I managed to grab the cd image for the DTS disc, I can rehost it if you deleted it already.

It would be interesting to see if he has more - there were references to Garfield Lost Levels among the Sega Channel files, but no actual game code. That's one of the Sega Channel exclusive titles that has been lost forever. If he has Sega Channel backups with a later date, they might be included there.

I remember seeing a guy from sega extreme who found a prototype build of Panzer Dragoon on a devkit once. I wonder what became of that. It could be the same person maybe?

8. cafealpha2

In advance, thank you for keeping us updated :)
    Finding Panzer Dragoon stuff would be cool. I personally would be very interested in getting SCU/SMPC/VDPs docs (user manuals, or even more technical stuff) in Japanese. Because English version of the documents (that can be found on internet) sometimes suffers from confusing translation.

Are theses DTS discs publicly available ? I couldn't find them, but didn't searched in depth however.
    If not available but somebody could dump theses, I would be very interested :)

9. Headcrab

Headcrab (BigEvilCorporation)

It's got a fully working sample for the SNASM2 MegaCD kit, with the vector table setup for the MegaCD debugger (I've been unable to get this working) along with the elusive SEGA.EXE loader.

Also seems to have the ISO tools so I can finally get the CD emulator ISA board working.

I'll keep digging through, very excited :)

...there's also a file called 'HORNY' containing a phone number...

It looks like there's a batch file which assembles and deploys this whole game to a devkit, I'll get it all set up tomorrow and see if it works

Insomnia strikes, so I set up my gear and managed to build the game.

Ok, you've found Super Strike Trilogy, an unreleased MegaCD compilation disc!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's very unstable, can't get past the title screen, but the debugger seems to be working (this is the first time I've got the MegaCD side of my devkit working, so I'm relieved!) so I could try and figure out the problem if I get time.

Managed to get it into ISO form, enjoy: https://www.mediafire.com/?f5x0d7sdxdjcdwk

It's a bit unstable and there's some audio missing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
    shicky256, good, Getta Robo and 5 others like this.
  10. tdijital

tdijital Member

This is so cool! I just played the first level of Urban Strike. It crashed on me the first time. Then I ran it again and everything worked well.

Does this mean we get Tanglewood on the Mega CD now? ;-)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. Headcrab

It means you'll get *something* on the MegaCD from me, maybe TW maybe not. It'll be after TW releases though. We'll see.

tdijital likes this.
  12. Ray Vasquez

Ray Vasquez Newly Registered

If he moves to auction, I'd be very interested in that sega channel backup cd. I love collecting specifically for that, and it would be an awesome piece to add. And with the data being public now...I'd love it for the historical value and relation to the service.

13. cafealpha2

OK, so do you confirm there are no problem to upload files from Sega Developer Tools\SATURN folder (and sub folders) on my homepage ?
    Is it also OK for antime's homepage ? This is the reference page concerning Saturn development resources, so antime will probably want to add some document(s) there from your archive too.

Great, nice find !!! That very cool to see your development machine at work too :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  14. tdijital

tdijital Member

@cafealpha2 I'm super happy to contribute to the community and see real use out of the content on these disks. Could you hold off a bit before posting them somewhere super public. I don't want to interfere with anything if the owner of the actual disks decides to auction them.

15. good

good Spirited Member

It looks like the CD music for Strike Trilogy is here: STRIKE\FHTS\EMU\SOUND\RED

Wow! We must to find a way to insert it into a game

Update:
    It looks like we need to edit
    \STRIKE\FHTS\EMU\CD.DSK

And replace [SRCPATH] on the actual path to the music files.

But I can not do this in my environment:(

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  16. Headcrab

'Red' likely means Redbook - I'll have a poke around the scripts and see how to burn these to the image

17. good

good Spirited Member

This's just a RAW sound files, actually

You will not believe me

It seems that I'm the first one who played it, except Devs

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
    tdijital likes this.
  18. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

VERY nice to see S.S.T. has been found! Would've made a great release...if it ever came out.

19. Piratero

Piratero Peppy Member

Wow, I'm excited to get a chance to read through the Saturn files!

Maybe there's some useful information that I could use to help libyaul.

20. Headcrab

Managed to create an image with CD audio: https://www.mediafire.com/?x85l0h3uomfbmxb

Tested with Fusion, use the CUE file (not the ISO). If someone is able to burn this to disc (mixed mode) and try on real hardware, I'd appreciate it :)

good likes this.