Thread: NES and SNES LED Mod

everyone knows ps3 make the best games Combat Soldier

NES and SNES LED Mod

Does anyone know the voltages for the NES and SNES LEDs for replacing? Links to preffered LEDs would be nice. If there is a convenient place to get dust protectors for either, then please tell.

What I have to offer in exchange are a story and pics of the modding to be done on the consoles in the future, so watch out.
    Last edited by 1080Peter; 11-28-2005 at 05:44 AM.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Peter
    Does anyone know the voltages for the NES and SNES LEDs for replacing? Links to preffered LEDs would be nice. If there is a convenient place to get dust protectors for either, then please tell.

What I have to offer in exchange are a story and pics of the modding to be done on the consoles in the future, so watch out.
    well, to answer your question, most leds need a voltage of around 2 volts.
    you can really drop in anything you like.

the really strong ones need some more power, use a led voltage calculator for these(can be found everywhere on the net) and replace the resistor next to the led accordingly.

apart from that, im not a big fan of cosmetical mods.
    i like the ones that actually do something better. ;)

for example, i built a snes with some sort of bios a couple of months ago.
    it displays a nice intro screen and information about the inserted cartridge and switches to the right video mode needed for that cart automatically.
    a memory viewer is included aswell.

basically, it consists of a self-written program stored on an eprom and two additional self-made registers, one to switch between ntsc and pal mode and one to switch between the bios and the inserted cart.
    heres a pic:

http://bof2.supernes.de/images/snesx.jpg

btw, the satellaview parts below and on top of the snes have nothing to do with that bios.
    Last edited by d4s; 11-28-2005 at 06:53 AM.

ASSEMbler Elite

that power led doesn't have much voltage, just replace it with a new 5mm one...i think they are 5mm, right? ^^

@ d4s, thats a freaky awesome mod :)

Mamihlapinatapai ASSEMbler Elite

yeah. that was a really cool mod. now I know what to do whit my other snes :D
    This game will make you a sociopath
    ++++++++++[>+++++++++++<-]++++++++++[>--.+++.-<-]>--.

So all I need to do is undo the led already in the console and replace it with another and voila? Nothing else?

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Add svideo, rgb, stereo, a headphone jack, than you're done!

Hell yeah. You all think I'm crazy, but I'll show everyone. Just give me five years. >:)

Yet another question: Is there a specific type of paint I should use for ABS plastic like in the SNES? What are my painting and finishing options (lacquer is it?). I know somebody here's painted a console before.. I'm gunning for a black case with blue LEDs on my finished unit. Here's my plan:

1. Snip the tabs off the cart hole (like breathing air)
    2. Add SP/DIF optical output
    3. Install a blue LED and paint the case black.. Make pushtabs (power and reset) blue or grey..
    4. Hack in a component video output. (Damn, us Americans do get shafted when it comes to video output..)
    5. Hack in a 50/60 Hz PAL switch. Just for completion.

6. (In the future) Add a custom BIOS, whether on my own or cheaping out and sending it to someone to reprogram/replace the chip.

I love this console more than any. Great memories.. The pinnacle of gaming fun, or maybe I'm not as impressionable as I used to be?
    Last edited by 1080Peter; 11-28-2005 at 09:28 PM.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

I bet some Krylon Fusion, Krylon clear coat and vinyl dye would probably get the painting job done, that's the stuff I use on my crap and it turns out really good.

Sally
    I've had a couple of consoles painted, the artist uses acrylic paint, and so far there haven't been any issues. (hehe artist == exgirlfriend)

A matter of personal taste, but what flies better for you: black satin or black gloss? I'm leaning more toward gloss, but since I have no experience, I thought i'd ask you to convince me otherwise. :)

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Unless it's automotive paint, it's going to get dinged up. I stopped using spraypaint, it's not tough enough unless it's a static showpiece.

ASSEMbler Soldier

I would love to see someone take the next step and incorporate a small portable projector that shoots out of the back of the NES. Might have to hack the case to use a smaller famiclone board, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. LED and paint mods just don't do it for me anymore...

Sally

This is an enamel spray painted base coat, with acrylic on top. If you're concerned about dings, give it 2 coats of a clear thin lacquor. This piece doesn't have any protection, and it's never been scratched. I have a watermelon panted game cube with 3 overcoats of laquor (japanese square watermelon), and an underwater/fish painted xbox with 25-30 coats. All were painted with acrylic, then laquored using thin coats from a spray paint can.

As for gloss vs. matte finish, i'll almost always go with matte. But as you've said, that's just personal prefrence.

For the projector in the NES idea, you'd have severe heat issues. Projectors are hot, REALLY hot. I've thought about putting a small lcd on the top of one, but you'd probably have to add some sort of extender to the main body to clear the space. I might try that when i get some free time. On the other hand, i never play NES games, so it would be pointless for me.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Bah, throw in a liquid cooling solution for the heat :nod:

The most fun stuff always has a problem or two to figure out.

I saw some blue LEDs at RadioShack. Does the mcd rating really matter on them? One was 300 and the other was 2600. I'm assuming this relates to brightness?

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Peter
    I saw some blue LEDs at RadioShack. Does the mcd rating really matter on them? One was 300 and the other was 2600. I'm assuming this relates to brightness?
    That's brightness. Generally, more is better :) (as long as the other specs all check out, natch...)

Stone