Thread: Playing Sonic in the Age of Austerity & Ascetic Living - a conundrum

Combat Soldier

Genesis Playing Sonic in the Age of Austerity & Ascetic Living - a conundrum

Howdy,

It's been a long time since I posted here - much less started a discussion - but I find myself in a situation that *you* are probably best-suited to answer ;-)

The short version of my 'problem' is this: I moved from Holland to London the other day to start work and had to leave my rather massive collection behind, selling some of it off to fund my move. As I couldn't be arsed to rent a van or drive across the Channel twice I barely managed to take my latter-day CRT telly and backwards compatible Euro PS3 with me, a bad choice, mayhap, but it doubles as a media center and at least it plays the few PS1 and PS2 games that I managed to bring. I'll probably bring over a Saturn and SNES later on, but given the cramped nature of my dwellings space is at a premium.

So, enfin, I felt an inexorable urge to play the 16-bit Sonic games this morning. This is not new, but today I felt like acting upon this desire. However, always having had the luxury of original hardware close at hand I'm a bit at a loss. From what I can tell there are several options in my situation:

- Get one of several PS2 Sonic compilations: cheapest, but no 60hz option apparently? Which one is best?
    - Get that big PS3 Megadrive compilation: no lock-on games, does it have 60hz?
    - Download the PSN re-issues of the original games: what are they like?
    - Buy a Megadrive + games locally: don't really feel like it, and stuck with PAL again unless I fork out for imports

What would you recommend? I'm looking for something close to the Sonic Jam experience - just the "main" games, but in decent quality and in 60hz. I'm a bit miffed that only 350km away as the crow flies is an attic crammed full of systems that would most likely do a better job at this, including the original hardware, a region-modded GC, my Japanese Saturn and a TEST with the US version of Mega Collection.

I don't like the "3000" Image below.
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Soldier

The PSN re-issues are pretty good, can't remember if they do lock on though as I only bought 1 and 2.

My recommendation would be to plug your PS3 controller into your PC/Laptop and get those bad boys running on Kega Fusion with VGA out to your TV if it supports it.

Alternatively grab a cheap model 1 MD off Gumtree or something and then buy the parts to mod it at Maplins. Will cost you 20 for the parts and a cheap soldering iron and can be done in an hour.
    Last edited by Twimfy; 03-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Combat Soldier

Which part of London are you in?

If you head to croydon (just south of central london) there is a retro shop there which has pre-modded megadrives in stock, I forget how much they're asking for them but they also usually have the sonic games in stock, alternatively they are likely to be able to advise on the best compilation or if you ask nicely they will let you test any compilations they have in stock for 50/60 hz

It's called M&M games by the way
    Last edited by Hedgeyourbets; 03-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Combat Soldier

Thanks for the advice guys! That'll give me something to think about. I might try the laptop idea, it sounds like an interesting project and my TV has VGA. Anything that doesn't require additional hardware is a plus.

I'm in Hampstead by the way. I'll check M&M out someday, sounds like a decent place!