Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: PS4 is just a shitty PC, why not join us, the PC gaming master race?

Quote Originally Posted by dakooldog View Post
    But yet, there are no modern consoles that can even par up to a gaming PC.
    Graphically, that's true. But gameplay-wise the PC isn't superior (or inferior) to the consoles, it's down to each particular game.

If you say that most console owners don't buy their console to be apart of the crowd, ask any crowd of console gamers why they own their xbox and ps3. I can guarantee, the majority will say "Because me and my friends play call of duty" or the most recent sports game.
    Most of my console owning friends don't play sports games, and whilst some (maybe most) play the various CoDs (I don't) I honestly don't think any CoD game has played any part in any of my friends' decisions to buy a particular console.

People buy consoles for ease of use, for their exclusive games, and because they don't have to wonder if game x will run full speed on the console.

Explain to me what advantages consoles have over PC other than good local multiplayer.
    Good exclusives (as does the PC, but if you want to play the Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4, LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, etc, then it's a console or nothing), ease of use, no worries about viruses or malware, no driver conflicts or crashes, no worries about if a game will run on your system, and (though this means nothing to me) most console games aren't tied to one machine/account via DRM so you can sell the game (or buy it used).

Not that these reasons make a console objectively better than a PC. A PC has it's own advantages, such as raw power, potentially being able to run a given game with much better graphical prowess (frame-rate, texture quality, viewing distance in a 3D game, etc), being able to make mods on a PC, being able to use other peoples' mods on your PC, the flexibility of being able to do many, many things on a PC that you can't on a console (gaming things and non-gaming), being able to upgrade your PC's hardware as and when you choose, being able to write PC games and sell/give them to anyone you like with no fees to pay to anyone (all the profit goes to you), and the maintenance that a PC necessitates (which is very minor if you are careful and know what you are doing) can be interesting and can help you get a job in a related field.

PC gaming is great. Console gaming is great. Neither is empirically better than the other, as if one was better than the other, then everyone who could would go over to the better side. But people have their preferences, and they stick to them, as is their right. And it's only elitists and fanboys who feel the need to criticise others for their tastes and choices.
    Last edited by Conker2012; 03-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.

KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!! ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

I'll go PC-only when a I don't have to pay $1000 for a highend GPU that will be obsolete in a year...

Win8 sucks, Win7 already gave me more BSODs than XP or Vista did, guess ms doesnt cares about drivers anymore.

As for Ubuntu, I'm using it most of the time but Steam is still a ways to go, and I dont see any devs rushing to port games, not even valve seems in a hurry

Overall I just dont give a shit: my game backcatalog is so extensive I could stay the whole nextgen playing existing games

There are no games on the horizon that I give a fuck about, EA just killed DeadSpace, by far one of the few single-player player games worth something

Everybody is going F2P, even gaben which I bet doesnt even remembers he made half-life, is now more concentrated on catching up with zynga, a company thats dying from the inside out

The wiiU sucks, sony's PS4 showcase was half about social crap at a time when my generation cares less and less about social crap and oversharing, cool story bro...

So basically I'm going full-retro, fuck the nextgen!

Foot Soldier

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlayer View Post
    As for Ubuntu, I'm using it most of the time but Steam is still a ways to go, and I dont see any devs rushing to port games, not even valve seems in a hurry
    i think that valve is waiting till they have all their older games up and running on "steampipe" rather then the old gcf model.
    and also they seem'd to have massive problems with the old half life engine working properly on windows after they ported/updated it(removed directx)...lots of players reported weird problems of not starting etc. so i guess they need to fix that first.

i think nobody is really interested right now in releasing anything on linux besides valve(dont count in the blizzard rumor), too bad, since i'm only running ubuntu right now. i just hope that we see some sort of announcement of a AAA game soon, but i dont think so. steam on linux didnt changed much, we still have no big games on linux, only small indie games, and old valve games.
    Last edited by richi902; 03-05-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by richi902 View Post
    i think that valve is waiting till they have all their older games up and running on "steampipe" rather then the old gcf model.
    and also they seem'd to have massive problems with the old half life engine working properly on windows after they ported/updated it(removed directx)...lots of players reported weird problems of not starting etc. so i guess they need to fix that first.

i think nobody is really interested right now in releasing anything on linux besides valve(dont count in the blizzard rumor), too bad, since i'm only running ubuntu right now. i just hope that we see some sort of announcement of a AAA game soon, but i dont think so. steam on linux didnt changed much, we still have no big games on linux, only small indie games, and old valve games.
    baby steps, steam sucked major ass when it first popped up for windows, all thoes years ago, and its only just out of beta, there is the likes of serious sam 3 and of course CS:S / TF2, i assume valve are working on alot for their steam box console thingy, as for 3rd party AAA games thats down to the individual studios / publishers, it will come, just slowly i think. the client itself is working great i've been playing a fair bit of CS:S.

also released,
    The Killing Floor
    Crusader Kings 2
    Amnesia The Dark Descent
    Postal 2
    Trine 2
    Penumbra OverTure
    Wargame: European Escalation
    Serious Same 3 BFE
    Red Orchestra

decent selection for only just being out of beta
    *Insert Awesome Signature Here*
    ..... Inserting.....

***Syntax Error***

Quote Originally Posted by dakooldog View Post
    Consoles are mainstream. They have always been, since snes. Consoles are what most people buy, so they just buy them to be with the mainstream of people and friends. Consoles are in general, also cheaper than building PCs. People don't understand it, so they just get a shit console to be apart of the crowd. Everyone knows PC gaming is much better and more powerful, they just choose not to use it.

It's like, the idiotic money spenders. It is the same reason people buy Beats and Macs.
    This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. Do you live in the real world? Do you know anything at all about gaming history? Are you 14 years old or something?

In the past, people did not buy the major consoles just because "that's what most people buy". They bought them because having a PC in your house at all was rare and unusual, and 99% of games they were interested in playing were console exclusives.

People don't buy a "shit console" just to be part of the crowd. They buy them because they want to play video games on them. That "vast majority" buy their systems to play with, not as a fashion statement. And no, they don't all play Call of Duty.

Console video gamers exist. In vast fucking numbers. Far more than PC gamers.

Jesus Christ.
    Last edited by JackBurton; 03-06-2013 at 07:47 AM.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

All of you need to chill the fuck out. The thing you have to realize is that consoles and PCs are just two different kinds of devices. They're built for different things, and developers use them in different ways. As is usually the case in this kind of situation, I don't understand why there is such an antagonism between people who use different devices. To me, the motive behind it seems to be similar to the motive behind racism, nationalism, sexism, etc. It's just about identifying with a group, and then exalting that group above all others because it makes you feel better about yourself. It never seems to occur to people that maybe these platforms are about equal, or maybe they're different in ways that make each interesting in its own way. No, that'll never happen, because people are too fucking dumb to embrace different ideas, or to acknowledge the legitimacy of anyone with a differing opinion.

Am I arguing that we should all be free and love one another? Fuck yes, I'm saying that. But the other thing you have to remember is that none of this really matters​ in the larger scheme of things, so it's even more pointless to get upset about it.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 03-06-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Member Elite

damn it with all the peace and love, i wanted to beat someone with my keyboard
    ..... Inserting.....

***Syntax Error***

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by la-li-lu-le-lo View Post
    All of you need to chill the fuck out. The thing you have to realize is that consoles and PCs are just two different kinds of devices. They're built for different things, and developers use them in different ways. As is usually the case in this kind of situation, I don't understand why there is such an antagonism between people who use different devices. To me, the motive behind it seems to be similar to the motive behind racism, nationalism, sexism, etc. It's just about identifying with a group, and then exalting that group above all others because it makes you feel better about yourself. It never seems to occur to people that maybe these platforms are about equal, or maybe they're different in ways that make each interesting in its own way. No, that'll never happen, because people are too fucking dumb to embrace different ideas, or to acknowledge the legitimacy of anyone with a differing opinion.

Am I arguing that we should all be free and love one another? Fuck yes, I'm saying that. But the other thing you have to remember is that none of this really matters​ in the larger scheme of things, so it's even more pointless to get upset about it.
    I would argue that this simplistic us vs them duality mindset, or what is known as the Western Dichotomy, stems from Christianity and it's concepts of Heaven and Hell, Good vs Evil, everything being demarcated on rigid simple lines of contrast.
    Our Western traditions are in the proverbial drinking water and affect us in ways we aren't aware. Even the Western atheist is tainted with the centuries old traditions that may not be seated securely in logic.

If we were to take an eastern Buddhist stance, let's say of the Mahayana tradition, you'd be dealing with a situation of "ku" or potential energy that is latent in everyone. This potential energy is total in it's expression and everything derives from it. By being aware of this potential, it becomes clear that demarcation and dichotomy isn't necessary when far more complex patterns can emerge. We don't have to be trapped in such a limited constraint.

So, yes, both have their merits and faults and together they can fulfill a more enriching, dynamic gaming experience through taking advantage of many points of light, or choices. Actually, the lines are blurring between both devices and I predict that ultimately , a hybrid machine, facilitating aspects of both will emerge as the single entity in the market place.

For now, let's gather our rocks and sticks and attack each other over tribal affiliation, brought into existence by someone who either purposefully or accidentally played the role of village witch doctor, making villain of one or the other gaming platforms.
    Last edited by Lowerlevels; 03-06-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Saturn > PS1+N64 ASSEMbler Soldier

Blog Entries
    If you've followed the SimCity launch, you'll realize the worst thing about PC games today: in many cases there's terrible, intrusive DRM out the ass.

Foot Soldier

Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Since this gen, I've fully converted to PC as consoles, arcades and PC games have inevitably converged to cost effective PC hardware. I do love how my 3 year old PC is giving me next gen visuals now but the amount of PC releases which aren't supported after release and in many cases don't get the DLC which their console counterparts do is particularly annoying for me.

Some examples...
    Aliens: Colonial Marines - still not working for a # of people including myself with no usable response from Sega or gearbox
    Batman: Arkham City - tons of issues with the installer, save bugs, etc that didn't get dealt with for a very long time
    Daggerdale - doesn't work for a number of people, seems like locale settings were not dealt with at all, Atari will deny supporting in any meaingful way
    The Saboteur - doesn't work with multi core CPUs and AMD GPUs, no thanks to EA shutting down Pandemic

XBOX, 360, One, Chihiro Moderator ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Force View Post
    If you've followed the SimCity launch, you'll realize the worst thing about PC games today: in many cases there's terrible, intrusive DRM out the ass.
    That's all over the internet right now. I JUST don't get what's so fucking complicated about making it simple for people who spend $70 on a game, and being treated like customers, without all this bullshit DRM.
    It's why people pirate a game, since cracks are just easier to use than all this 'make account here, sign in here, download this, enter CD key, sign in again, verify and it goes on...' oh well, I don't see this taking off well at all.
    XBOX Games: 154/993 | XBOX V1.2, Xectuer X3, 80GB, GDR8050L, Blue ROL+USB1.1
    XBOX Limited Edition Consoles: 5/22 | XBOX 360 Pro Matte Black Jasper v2, Xecuter Coolrunner, 500GB, 10th Anniversary DOAX2 Faceplate
    XBOX MS Equipment: 3/XX "You're a lot more serious now, than you were on the job!" - Mei (Double-S.T.E.A.L The Second Clash)

Member Elite

one i recently had an issue with is sins of a solar empire, pain in the ass that was having to go through both stardocks system and also through gamestops app, for a retail copy of the game which i ended up just having to download through gamestops app anway #facepalm

another game i got on steam used both steam and games for windows, i cant rememer which game it was but it was a pain to get working too due to DRM

still you get issues with console gaming also, xbox 360 updates are a pain in the ass and slow too.

majority of the time there's a workaround though and once they work, they work pain in the ass DRM doesnt put me off i just wont buy the game, and if i do normally there's a nice way around it. :)
    ..... Inserting.....

***Syntax Error***

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlayer View Post
    Well, obviously. I've heard that Valve is known for taking it's time(and plus, since they're probably working on other titles as we speak, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised).
    Last edited by Theguyatthekeyboard; 03-11-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    3DS Friend code: 2836-0617-4710
    Name: Seth

Wii friend code: 6691-5594-9700-1607

Conscript

I think there is a place for both PC gaming and Console gaming. PC's will always be ahead of consoles when it comes to brute strength, but a Console is meant to be an experience. Not just a box that does things. Experience meaning something that is solely and purely 'gaming'.

It's the idea of a device produced exclusively to do one thing, with other features being supplements. With PC's, i've always felt it's the other way around; a PC does this, a PC does that and also does 'gaming'. Gaming is something PC's just happen to do really well because they are already powerful enough to do so. But let's face it. PC gaming hardware wise (to a level that outperforms consoles well enough to change opinion) is expensive. When it comes to buying a device that allows you to experience the one thing you want effectively and consistently, for a good price, consoles will always win.

Yeah i suppose you can get relatively good PC's for the price of a PS4, but that's not the point. A PS4 can't encode music, burn dvd's, convert video etc... There's nothing taking away from the gaming experience with a console (including input methods, consoles almost solely using the synonymous gamepad, whilst keyboard and mouse are synonymous with the PC).

I love gaming on all platforms, PC included. No games look more beautiful than on my PC! But at the end of the day, i feel gaming is an experience that consoles give really well, perhaps better than PC's.

I post here on the toilet sometimes. ASSEMbler Soldier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw1zl...ature=youtu.be

recorded in an hour.

As someone with a gaming pc and every current gen console - I think I can say that PC gaming is fucking garbage. I can't play shit without getting kicked, vetoed, or banned because of assumptions of hacking.

PC gaming is full of elitests, and noobs who think they're elite.

Saturn > PS1+N64 ASSEMbler Soldier

Blog Entries
    What the hell is that game? Some kind of C-grade CS/CoD ripoff?

Sex, Drug, and Rock N' Roll !! Member Hardcore

Was wondering the same thing. Seems like a highly modified Cstrike...
    I always need 5 things in life: Sleep, Food (I'm pretty addicted), Sex (like previous), Time and FINALLY ...
    Time to do sex then sleep after a good meal!

My SelfBootDATA pack for 45000 data/data backup 32bit edition: http://bit.ly/RymfFG

My Gdi2Data pack, to automatically extract data from GDI files: bit.ly/LHnftm
    Binhack32 with complete sourcecode: bit.ly/LHnhS8

It's Cross Fire, it's a Free to Play FPS. It's CS with MMO elements - similar to CS: Online. In Asia, it's actually surpassed Counter-Strike in popularity. The Asian version has De_Dust2 and Counter-Strike: Online licensed the map "Transport Ship" from it. It came out before Counter-Strike Online which uses the same business model for in game items. It plays similar to CS while being different enough to be different. CS rip off? Yeah... C grade? Not so much.

It's been at the World Cyber Games every year since 2009, and in Japan tournaments for it have aired on National TV since 2008.

Last edited by XxHennersXx; 03-24-2013 at 07:31 PM.

KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!! ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Heard of that game, kinda shows the disconnection between western gamers and eastern ones, is like the 80s all over again except we got the internet now and yet it keeps happening.

On a topic-related note I had the funniest (not) day playing WiC Soviet Assault and getting all kinds of weird ass bugs until my rig crashed. The log showed all kinds of bugs that made no sense, if I took them seriously I would have to check everything from the thermal grease to the drivers for some USB3 controller my mobo has.

That's the kind of bullshit I'm tired of, and ironically I had less drivers issues in Linux than I do right now on Windows.

Except for ATI, their drivers still fucking suck