Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: PS4 is just a shitty PC, why not join us, the PC gaming master race?

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries

Ps2tool Assemblergames PS4 is just a shitty PC, why not join us, the PC gaming master race?

"supercharged pc architecture" = 4 gen back gpu
    "X86 cpu" = 4-8 core celeron or some nonsense
    "Enhanced pc gpu" = Shitty 4 gen back gpu shrunk to 22nm or less
    "8 gb unified memory" lol, what?
    "Local storage hdd" = No ssd, still platter technology.

Undoubtedly the Pc I was playing two years ago is more powerful than ps4 ever will be.

$2.00 games on steam
    $15.00 MODDABLE games

Dedicated server

Join us my brothers...
    Last edited by ASSEMbler; 02-21-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Member Hardcore

Well it may be worth the exclusive titles, assuming you have a budget that allows for it with some ease.

Otherwise, PC master race reporting in.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    "now with facebook and youtube"

- every pc since 2006

You have the right to an attorney. NOT! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Pushing aside all the "extra" features, it seems like a good system. All I want is a console, and plenty of good games. I'm over PC gaming anyway, since anything else other than a shooter you need a controller anyway. Also I want the comfort of my living room, with my sofa and pillows, staring at a huge display, with HD graphics. That's all gaming really needs to be, regardless of specs, it's how developers use it.

I honestly think Sony has a winner with the PS4.
    YouTube | Twitter | Feedback | XBOX Archive
    if you send me more than 1 PM with the same question, prepare to be ignored

Member Hardcore

Could be.

I like gaming on the couch, and I'd like to finally make use of my parents 60" LED TV. They have standard def TV coming over composite cables.
    But then again, I can just slide back my chair (just as comfortable) and use a PS3 controller with my desktop with surround sound. Pretty much the console experience.

Conscript

Agree 100%. They are nothing but locked down and highly limited PCs. Mid range gaming PCs of yester year no less.

I hope this gen will be a big boom for PC gaming, hopefully more people will wake up.

Foot Soldier

Steam alone makes PC gaming more attractive to me.

What's 30$ at Gamestop for my 360 is 2.50$ on Steam during a sale.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

So after what? 30 odd years PC gaming is now up to the level of console gaming at the same price? I couldn't care less if it is or isn't. This whole new gen is not looking good to me. I may call it a day and stay in current gen and retro from now on. The buzz of owning new hardware and collecting games is gone.
    Last edited by Yakumo; 02-21-2013 at 01:49 AM.

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld
    I think Already gave Sony their Marketing slogan for the PS4.

PS4: WE BUILT YOU A FUCKING COMPUTER

Yes the profanity is necessary.
    http://retrocadefantasia.blogspot.com

Retrocade has it's own hub now!

Conscript

All I can say is I can't wait to see when the PS4 is hacked...and when we will be playing the games on our custom built PCs

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keberasky View Post
    All I can say is I can't wait to see when the PS4 is hacked...and when we will be playing the games on our custom built PCs
    All the codecs will be proprietary for sure.

You have the right to an attorney. NOT! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Reckon it will be easy to hack, due to the x86 technology?
    YouTube | Twitter | Feedback | XBOX Archive
    if you send me more than 1 PM with the same question, prepare to be ignored

Sorry, I'm a console peasant :-)

Foot Soldier

Outside of the Dreamcast and the xbox360 for certain contemporary game titles, I mainly play on retro systems, albeit emulators and massive game libraries housed on external hard drives so I am partially master race. Right now I am playing through the entire Playstation one back catalog. Rather than be on the razor's edge of every new gaming release, I bargain hunt picking up games several years old or more, regarding current gen titles. I just picked up Deathsmiles and Lost planet for Ten dollars a few days ago. Interesting though, I play retro games 90% of the time.

If gaming pc's could be gotten cheaply, I would definitely participate.
    Regarding your direct argument, the lines are definitely blurring between next gen consoles and pc gaming. The only thing that consoles seem to bring at this point is exclusivity in certain titles and the hand holding that comes with simple interfaces which are family friendly and can easily be plugged into the idiot box. What consoles have in their corner is plug and play.

Perhaps the master race issue is more about lifestyle and the layout of one's living space.

Combat Soldier

Blog Entries
    I for one welcome our new giant crab overlords...

That being said, I am not going to rush into it,

The social sharing aspect of the console: Scares the @#$@# out of me, just think back with the whole trail against Geohot and how they were so desperate to prove he was on PSN, as well as using your real name, and social spamming on facebook.

Game distribution: They never confirmed or denied if games will be available via normal retail means, while I like the idea of being capable of playing your games almost instantly while they download, I doubt the feasibility of this on slower internet connections, same with the HD Caption "share" option,it all just seems way too demanding for a 4meg line.

Will it function without internet connectivity: This has to be asked, internet is slow here and a lot of users dont have access to internet here, and lets not forget sooner or later, sony will pull the plug on the consoles internet connectivity, and the last thing I want is a then "retro" console thats a complete brick.

Everything els I think is just fluff, and its not like we havent heard from Sony how Remote Play will change our lives...

I welcome the architecture though, PC gamers will probably enjoy better ports from now on :)
    Last edited by fasman; 02-21-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    My website: The Retro Game South Africa
    Youtube: HPZeta

PS I really want to commission some one for some proper banners for the website, let me know if your interested.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by HEX1GON View Post
    Reckon it will be easy to hack, due to the x86 technology?
    Maybe not so easy, but we all know what happened to TypeX or eX-Board. Never thought i'll be playing BlazBlue in linux but it happened.
    But... original XBox is PC, but we still don't have quality emulation, or some wine-like compatibility layer, which, of course is also possible.

itchy
    PS4: x86
    Durango : x64

PS4 will be a massive failure.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    PS4: x86
    Durango : x64

PS4 will be a massive failure.
    The PS4 is x64. x86-64, to be more accurate.

The problem with PC gaming - and I've experienced this my whole life, since I was a kid playing StarCraft and Motocross Madness - is that it's very hard to get games to run reliably and at a decent framerate, even if you have a very high end PC. Take my PC, for example, it's pretty powerful. It has: 3.5GHz (stock) Core i7-3770K CPU (Ivy Bridge), 16GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 560 Ti, 240GB SSD, etc. Obviously the graphics card is its weakest link, but that's only a little over a year old, and is still pretty powerful. Everything else uses the newest technology, and is benchmarked higher than any other hardware in its pricerange. Certainly you could spend more and get a faster PC, but given a budget of less than $2,000 (which is more than most people are willing to spend on a PC), I don't think you can do much better. And yet, this system still struggles with certain games. It even struggles with some games that ran perfectly on my system until I upgraded it, like Portal 2. Other games run much smoother. Go figure.

Consoles will always (unless they disappear entirely) have the advantage of being a fixed system. The downside is that you can't upgrade, and you're stuck with the same hardware for 8-50,000 years. The upside is that developers know exactly what the system is capable of, and therefore develop their games to fit that purpose.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 02-21-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Member Hardcore

Interesting times, I wonder how different the new Xbox will be, if at all. I guess Sony finally listened to developer and provides a far more generic platform to develop on. Cell was a great concept but quite complex for developers on day one and very costly to make. x86 sounds quite boring especially when we're all hoping for the next killer custom chip in our consoles. I think the current economy pushed Sony to get real and go further down the COTS route. Probably IBM didn't cut them a good deal for a new PPC based chip who knows!!! I wonder why Intel wasn't picked over AMD?

Conscript

First it was the Emotion Engine, then it was The Cell, now it's 8 GBDDR5. Couldn't their marketing department make up a more interesting name for it? Like "Super Faster Mega RAM from Heaven" or some shit like that.
    Last edited by Golan Trevize; 02-21-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast