Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario World 64 (Unl) - the infamous Mega Drive port!

Foot Soldier

Genesis Super Mario World 64 (Unl) - the infamous Mega Drive port!

A big round of applause for Eke and Bootsector because without their help this would not have been possible.

After beating my head against a wall for a year or so trying to get this dumped I finally gave up and contacted Eke. Using the SGC Explorer designed by Bootsector he was able to pull a working dump from the cartridge and document the protection. He currently has all the routines implemented in the Wii version of Gens Plus GX 1.7.3.

It is currently possible to run Gens Plus GX under a Windows environment but I will let Bootsector explain that.

Super Mario World 64 ROM

Combat Soldier

Sorry, what is this exactly? Is the rom supposed to work in an emu?

Combat Soldier

JAMMA compatible ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Holy shit, the Mario music sound horrible on a Mega Drive. Maybe they did not the best job on porting the sound to the MD's soundchip, but gosh... that's terrible. Note that I am usually a great fan of the Mega Drive's sound, I love it much much more than the SNES sound generally speaking.
    59,630 > 57,300

I post here on the toilet sometimes.
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

It would have been amazing if the game did the classic "SE-GA!" right before "it's a me, mario!"

I would rather buy a SNES and a copy of SMW rather than play this pants version!!!

impressive that they made it work on MD but really.. what next... God of war for PC Engine?

Insane redneck retro gamer... ASSEMbler Elite

Blog Entries
    I will check this out now. See if it plays on my EDMD. Stay tuned for my results.

RESULTS: No dice. I tried it on several Genesis including my all region model 3 in all 4 region settings. I either got a black screen, blue screen, or alternating black and blue screen. Header issues maybe?
    Last edited by sonicdude10; 01-15-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    What ever you do, DON'T CLICK HERE!!!
    I'm now on Sega-16

Member Hardcore

Maybe the OP wasn't clear, but this game uses special protection that no emulators emulate, except for Gens Plus GX, as that's the emu that the dumper Eke-Eke works on, so he knew what to do to fix it up specially for this game.

Last I saw andlabs was going to make a patch for other emus if possible eventually.
    I'm Pro-A'can

Combat Soldier

thanks been wanting to try this for a while

here is full walkthrough

played on http://themaister.net/retroarch.html with GenPlusGX emulation core

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

I've owned this on cartridge for years but my one isn't the complete game. Well, it is a complete game but after so many stages they just become nothing like the original Super Mario. Is this rip the same one? Maybe I should check it out on my son's Wii since that has Gens Plus GX or at least I think that's what MD emulator is on it.

Here's what the cover and cartridge look like.

Name:  supermario64-cart.jpg
Views: 6079
Size:  27.7 KB
    Name:  supermario64-cover.jpg
Views: 10953
Size:  258.6 KB
    Last edited by Yakumo; 01-15-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

Member Hardcore

You're sure it's not exactly the same as the one in that video? The levels start to become custom layouts that don't resemble anything in the original I think towards the end IIRC, but that doesn't make it anything I'd call incomplete.
    I'm Pro-A'can

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    Holy shit, the Mario music sound horrible on a Mega Drive. Maybe they did not the best job on porting the sound to the MD's soundchip, but gosh... that's terrible. Note that I am usually a great fan of the Mega Drive's sound, I love it much much more than the SNES sound generally speaking.
    For Taiwanese sweatshop programmers in the mid-90's without an official SDK and probably hammered together in minimal time, I think it is passable.

Sad that it's not as playable as the Famicom port, but for unlicensed fare it's pretty cool. Hell, it's better than a lot of licensed MD platformers (Awesome Possum, Bubsy,... yeesh).

Conscript

What's with the "64" in the title? I was expecting some godly 16-bit version of the 3D game. :P

Combat Soldier

Wait a minute, is the ending music the Final Jeopardy Theme? Haha!

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Quote Originally Posted by Bramsworth View Post
    You're sure it's not exactly the same as the one in that video? The levels start to become custom layouts that don't resemble anything in the original I think towards the end IIRC, but that doesn't make it anything I'd call incomplete.
    Yeah, that's what mine does. It's a shame they never did a good job but that's Chinese originals for you.
    I can't see the video though due to this awful PC I'm using in work. Well, I could watch the video but it takes an age to start and when it does it skips frames like hell.
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

Works in Everdrive flashcart? Thanks for share this ....errrr...... "jewel? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    For Taiwanese sweatshop programmers in the mid-90's without an official SDK and probably hammered together in minimal time, I think it is passable.

Sad that it's not as playable as the Famicom port, but for unlicensed fare it's pretty cool. Hell, it's better than a lot of licensed MD platformers (Awesome Possum, Bubsy,... yeesh).
    Bubsy is much, much better then this in the music department from what i hear.

Foot Soldier

My playthrough.

Part 2

Heavily edited, this is hard as fucking hell (well, maybe not as hard as other pirated games like the Donkey Kong Country featuring Lion King). Framerate sucks, scroll sucks and, of course, interia SUCKS, plus the delay on controls it makes it pretty unplayable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast