1. HANZO - THE ULTIMATE DREAMCAST VGA BOX WITH SCANLINER

2. KURO – DREAMCAST VGA BOX

3. SLR – SCANLINER

4. NEW!!! SCANLINER CABLE FOR HANZO

***THE LEGEND HAS EVOLVED***

***BEST INVESTMENT FOR YOUR DC***

F.A.Q

1. Who is Hanzo?

Hanzo was a legendary Samurai in the Sengoku era of Japan. You can recall him from the Kill Bill movie series and some fighting games too.

2. I meant "What is Hanzo?"

HANZO is a Dreamcast VGA box with built-in scanline generator. A few months ago, when we first started we built these boxes and gave a small run.
    www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?42388-Dreamcast-VGA-box-amp-Scanline-generator&p=639703&viewfull=1#post639703
    However it took too long to build one, because of drilling and soldering works. So we decided to design a PCB to make it more robust and durable also easier & faster to build.

3. What are the benefits of a VGA box?

Dreamcast natively supports VGA output mode however you need a special cable to enable this mode. So you can play your favourite arcade games in higher (480p) resolution on VGA monitors, modern displays like plasma and lcd screens.

4. I am happy with my RGB Scart cable. Is it worth the upgrade?

RGB Scart cable can support up to 480i, which is interlaced and not progressive as a VGA box. RGB Scart gives only 15khz, however VGA is 31khz, which enables clearer, sharper and more detailed images that you can't get with an ordinary composite, S-video or Scart cable.

5. I heard that some games don't support this VGA mode, is it true?

Yeah, it's true, some games don't support the VGA (31khz) mode. Dreamcast checks the type of cable plugged while booting and it refuses to boot if the game doesn't support the VGA box.

6. So how can I play these games with this VGA box?

It's possible to trick the console to pass this limitation on those games. Our DC VGA boxes includes a switch to let you change between the 15khz and 31khz modes to alter this check.

7. What about audio?
    It has RCA Stereo audio jacks to let you plug your console to an amplifier or a stereo system or simply your TV.

8. I heard about scanlines but I am not sure if I need them. Do I really need them?
    Modern displays don't give the feel of our old CRT TVs. Old games look better on old TVs,
    however your new hi-tech screen gives edgy, pixelated graphics which decreases your gaming appetite. This is because CRTs have scanlines and games were designed for these displays. If you are an enthusiast of 2D fighting games or shoot 'em ups, you will notice it's even worse in VGA mode because of the higher details. Scanliner (what I call for our scanline generator) eliminates this problem by enabling scanlines in VGA mode. So you can play your Street Fighter 3 game in full glory even better than before. To be honest, Dreamcast was never my system of choice for playing those fighting games until I discovered scanlines. I was missing the old days with my Sony CRT. Now I can’t stop playing them on my plasma monitor.
    You can find more technical info here: scanlines.hazard-city.de

9. What other features does Hanzo have?
    You can turn off Scanlines easily with a switch, you can select even or odd scanlines, you can change the width of the scanlines, thin or thick for a resolution like 1024x768.
    It's also possible to use Hanzo as a standalone Scanliner for other consoles/PC with VGA output if you use the extra Scanliner cable, no need for any other Scanline Generators.

10. Is that all ?
    We use high quality shielded video cable for better picture quality on our boxes. It has a blue power light. Hanzo name is laser etched on top.

11. How much does it cost?
    Hanzo costs $60 excluding shipping. Airmail shipping is $5. Each additional item is $2 more.

12. What method do you use for shipping?
    Regular Airmail with tracking number and signature upon delivery.

13. How long does it take to arrive?
    About two weeks, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. It may even arrive in 4 days, if you are lucky or 4 weeks if it’s season.

14. Where are you located?
    Istanbul, Turkey.

15. Do you have them in stock?
    Please ask for availability.

16. Do you offer any warranty on your products?
    Yes, it’s a 1 year warranty. In case of any failures or damages on the product, it can be replaced or fixed if you return it.

17. Does it include any manuals?
    Yes, it includes a downloadable PDF instruction manual to make it easier to operate.

18. Do you have a website or blog?
    Yeah, we are building one and will launch it soon.

19. What about Kuro?
    Kuro was a regular DC VGA Box with headphones jack for audio output and a 15khz/31khz switch. It’s discontinued because of the same reasons above.

20. Will you release it again?
    Yeah, it will be build on the same design, it costs $40 + $5 shipping. It has RCA jacks instead of the 3.5mm headphones jack. Photos soon...

21. What about the Scanliner?
    Again, same design. VGA(HD15) MALE pigtail cable to VGA FEMALE. Includes On/Off, Even/Odd Select, Width Select switches. It costs $35 + $5 shipping (as above).

22. How can I place an order?
    Please reply in this thread to place your order and I will PM you for payment details...

23. How big is it?
    It's very small, about 2.3x2.3x0.59 inches or 5.8x5.8x1.5cms

Hanzo Manual can be downloaded from:
    http://anten.com.tr/content_files/ba...anzomanual.pdf

REVIEWS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHjV7QYbmX0
    http://bwnfb.blogspot.com/2013/05/re...scanliner.html
    http://retrorgb.com/dreamcast.html
    http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/view...php?f=2&t=5769
    http://www.retroblog.fr/2013/10/11/t...nzo-dreamcast/
    http://pixelor.de/hanzo-die-ultimati...mit-scanliner/
    http://www.segacity.de/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5777
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbpbRld4ds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCsiZFs6DE (first version)
    mentioned in:
    http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/45...t-retro-games/
    http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

how it all began...
    http://x-community.grafbb.com/t837-scanliner-la-review

pl.jpg

Hanzo Manual can be downloaded from:
    http://anten.com.tr/content_files/ba...anzomanual.pdf

Kuro Manual can be downloaded from:
    http://anten.com.tr/content_files/ba...kuromanual.pdf

Orders can be tracked from the following link:

http://www1.ptt.gov.tr/tr/interaktif...yd_yeniweb.php

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by beharius; 08-03-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Blog Entries
    Sweet :P No internal shot ? to see your pro made skills? (hide any "secret"/"special" parts to prevent me of rebuilding it myself XD)
    Collector and gamer, also hack away stuff. Im a big fan of:
    Xbox, Xbox 360 PS1, PS2, MSX,NES, Wii, all gameboy/nDS series and DC

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Wow that looks really pro, if only I didn't buy a VGA Box recently :( Mine generates some weird verticals line in the background on my PC screen nothing on my projector. Oh well it still looks gorgeous!!! Well done, nice job.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Quote Originally Posted by CodeAsm View Post
    Sweet :P No internal shot ? to see your pro made skills? (hide any "secret"/"special" parts to prevent me of rebuilding it myself XD)
    The schematics are publicly available.... you can rebuild it yourself no problem. People have been for a long time,
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Combat Soldier

Yes, the schematics are everywhere. Parts are also easily available. I used a Matrix board plus 2x74hcxx chips for the scanline unit as well as the switches and wires. It just needs patience and time to solder all in a small box. Labor cost is the important thing here not the parts as you all know...
    For the DC VGA box, same as above nothing to add except the wasted DC AV cables for their plugs. If there is a huge demand I can of course design a special pcb for them. But no need for now...
    Thanks for your interest.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Blog Entries
    Thank you guys, Ill think about it.
    Time and money. if I dont have time for research and building it, I can buy it :D
    Collector and gamer, also hack away stuff. Im a big fan of:
    Xbox, Xbox 360 PS1, PS2, MSX,NES, Wii, all gameboy/nDS series and DC

Combat Soldier

I am now taking preorders for these mini boxes. If you are interested in then please post in this thread, I will contact you when the final product is ready for payment details. I don't want to collect money first... First post first served...
    You can also choose the Scanline Generator with a pigtail (male port hanging around like the DC vga box).

Foot Soldier

I never paid attention to the DC's vga capabilities, so that scanline generator is put between the vga-adapter and the monitor to give it a scanlined look?

Awesome beharius. I might have to buy one off you soon:)
    Last edited by Gamemaker; 10-26-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Combat Soldier

Count me in on a combo unit please for $40.

I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Geist Force Primary Donor
    Staff

ASSEMbler Soldier

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    They look nicer than the ones I built myself. Slider switches too yay :) I'm very tempted in a set but I don't think I can commit to spending $40 right now sorry.

I've personally been looking around for a VGA box that isn't too expensive (unfortunately despite having the skills, I don't have the time or the tools to make one myself) and this thing seems to fit the bill pretty much perfectly (was pretty close to just buying a third party SCART cable instead). However before I put down an order, I'd like to know how you're testing these things? Are you running them for longe periods and are you testing them with different region consoles? (judging by what you've set as your location you seem to be in the same region as me)

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Running them for long period of time is pretty pointless - there arent really any components in the VGA cable - its just a wiring job.

Connecting it up and giving it a shake/wiggle should be plenty to ensure its OK.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

The reason why I mentioned having a long use test would be to see if the soldering has been done properly and if the soldering holds up to the heat generated over time along with some coming from devices in the near vicinity and doesn't start to degrade the solder joints.

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

there wont be any heat (or next to none, its enclosed and there is nothing generating heat inside the box), also bad solder joints either are immediately obvious or tend to take a long time to show their face.

I wouldnt worry about it so much.

Combat Soldier

As I told in the following post:
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...l=1#post624005

These boxes will be built by a professional technician, I trust his fine soldering skills too much. Because I am so clumsy, I can't build them.
    They will be tested in my NTSC system (black Sports one) one by one of course. No much difference between the regions, since they both use rgb output. As Bad_Ad84 stated there is nothing inside to worry about heat dissipation, a few resistors and diodes only. There will be a blue power led. I may add rca gold jacks for stereo output, let you to select some extra options.

I am a bit perfectionist so I don't want to sell a faulty item. These boxes in the photos are not final, just to test working well or not.

BTW I am using the designs in mmmonkey's site, just add some extras. There is no specially designed pcb, maybe in the future depending on the demand. Thanks for the infos.

For an impartial review I can send a finished one to one of the enthusiasts here, Bad_Ad74?

Combat Soldier

I would love one with stereo jacks instead of 3.5mm jacks and a switch to allow the VGA swap trick to force VGA on most games that don't support it naturally. I know quite a few guys in my Dreamcast group ReviveDC will be after some of these. I have systems from every region and extensive knowledge as well as upscalers to test out the equipment under many circumstances and would happily write a review and post a nice HD youtube video. I think a switch for the swap trick is a must TBH as so many games dont support VGA but work after the swap trick. Check out my Sega collection thread and look at the custom clear VGA mod I have done with a switch to get an idea of what I mean as I take my Dreamcast serious.

Foot Soldier

I'd be interested in one (perhaps a dual VGA/Scanline combo), how much would shipping be to ship to California USA? I'm currently working on an extensive write up reviews that covers over half a dozen Dreamcast VGA adapters either available or sought after in todays market. These include

Official Sega
    Blaze
    Naki
    Performance
    Gameware Madness
    Cabou's VGA Cable

I would love to add your rendition of the peripheral to the review.
    Last edited by CD ageS; 10-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Its already got the switch on it.

Combat Soldier

He does the reviews for the ReviveDC blog for us and does a great job I might add and we have nearly 10,000 followers to this date and is highly read by most Dreamcast current users as we release games every week repacked and of a higher quality then the scene rips. But if you youtube my name and ReviveDC you will see the first vga mod i did without a switch that was a mistake as it hindered the amount of games i could play. That is why i did the mod differently in my sega collection thread here on my clear dreamcast.

Edit

Bad_Ad thanks for pointing that out for some reason my cell cuts off half the image and I couldnt see it till I opened just the image alone.
    Last edited by atreyu187; 10-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Page 1 of 70 123456789101151 ... LastLast