Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: New Everdrive on the horizon

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    That isn't about GBA. He meant he'd like an original GB everdrive to support the super game boy.
    my bad. though there can't be a gb flash cart which doesn't support the super game boy as the super game boy is in fact an original gameboy.

ASSEMbler Elite

Better than that, a native 16-bit menu interface should be possible. Space Invaders had some way to switch between gameboy and SNES mode.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Better than that, a native 16-bit menu interface should be possible. Space Invaders had some way to switch between gameboy and SNES mode.
    that is very interesting. and it is quite possible. a game can understand if it is run on gb/gbc/gba/super game boy/super game boy 2.

and we know how cool 16-bit game selection menu for SD2SNES which uses high resolution mode (512x224) looks.

is it worth the effort? doubt it, even official games rarely used super game boy enhancements. they mostly put a cool border and some pre-defined pallettes and called it super game boy enhanced game.

also is it possible to switch back to 8-bit mode? this is what the menu rom should do after choosing the game.
    Last edited by reprep; 03-06-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Conscript

Way past cool. I had no idea that was even possible on the Super GameBoy. Strange that no other games took advantage of such a neat feature.

I know that Donkey Kong got itself some colors and Pauline had a digitized voice yelling "Help" instead of bliip sounds. And games such as Killer Instinct featured a SGB ONLY, 2 player mode. (as far as I'm aware)
    Animaniacs is also a great example of a game that got enchanced on the SGB with better graphics, sounds and a cool border.

A 16 bit menu would be very awesome, or maybe being able to change border from the SD card like the backgrounds on the Everdrive 64 which is by far the most pleasant to look at when it comes to menus.

I guess the Super Gameboy had a lot more potential than I originally thought. It's pretty interesting actually.
    Last edited by CAPTAIN N; 03-06-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Just added some text.
    Cutie-Mark Inquisition Program.

Foot Soldier

blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-gameboy-introduction

here is an interesting read.

i remember beating donkey kong on the super gameboy. what a great game that was :) i still got my super gameboy. i also just aquired a gameboy player for my gamecube and an ezflash 4 gba flashcart cart. think i may get a usb 64m gb/gbc flashcart aswell. they don't see,m ideal but i can get one for about 30.
    if krikzz ever makes gb/gbc or gba everdrives in the future i would still happily purchase them just because they are gonna be more user friendly then whats currently avaliable.

Foot Soldier

these usb 64 Mb carts are good. they work fine with super game boy. also Mottzilla wrote a multi SRAM menu which lets multiple game saving. it was multiple games, 1 save before that.

of course if krikzz makes a gb everdrive, it will be sold with a speed of light.

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by reprep View Post
    blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2350461718/fuck-the-super-gameboy-introduction

here is an interesting read.

That was indeed a very interesting read, I now have a much better understanding on how the SGB actually works, It's just such a shame with all the wasted potential, I can only imagine what a Game Boy game would look like if it was made 100% for the Super GameBoy, taking advantage of all it's features.

If I understand the article right, the way Space Invaders worked was that it sent information to the SNES and when it was done pretty much ran on the SNES itself, circumventing the SGB entirely, I believe the SGB and SNES wouldn't be able to exchange information in this state, so I doubt that a 16-bit would be possible for the Everdrive, as it would cut the connection to the Everdrive and SD the moment it was done booting.
    That's what I get from the article at least.
    I don't know about borders however, I think the biggest problem would be to reload a new border once a game is booting. I can imagine that is something that happens when you start up the system with a game and since selecting a game doesn't reset the actual hardware... Well. I have no idea actually. I don't know anything about these sort of things xD
    Last edited by CAPTAIN N; 03-06-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarify some of text

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN N View Post
    That was indeed a very interesting read, I now have a much better understanding on how the SGB actually works, It's just such a shame with all the wasted potential, I can only imagine what a Game Boy game would look like if it was made 100% for the Super GameBoy, taking advantage of all it's features.

If I understand the article right, the way Space Invaders worked was that it sent information to the SNES and when it was done pretty much ran on the SNES itself, circumventing the SGB entirely, I believe the SGB and SNES wouldn't be able to exchange information in this state, so I doubt that a 16-bit would be possible for the Everdrive, as it would cut the connection to the Everdrive and SD the moment it was done booting.
    That's what I get from the article at least.
    I don't know about borders however, I think the biggest problem would be to reload a new border once a game is booting. I can imagine that is something that happens when you start up the system with a game and since selecting a game doesn't reset the actual hardware... Well. I have no idea actually. I don't know anything about these sort of things xD
    i have some good news about the border for you. the gb 64 mb cart has a multi-rom selection menu too. you can load 1 game to it (and directly boot to it and you have the super game boy border) or load multiple games via a menu. if you load multiple games via menu and then choose a game, you won't get the super game boy border.

but if you reset snes, super game boy bios will reread the loaded rom (not the multi-rom menu) and you will then have the super game boy border (or pallettes etc)

so you have to reset the snes after you choose a game from multi-rom menu if you want to have the additional features like palette or border. and there doesn't seem a simple way to avoid this.

that is true for gameboy color enhancements (game spesific palettes for games) too. but as you can't reset the gameboy color or gameboy advance after you choose a rom from multi-rom menu, you won't be able to use the gameboy color palettes for bw gb games. the only exception is loading only a game to the EMS cartridge (so bypassing the multi-rom menu) which i don't think possible via an everdrive.
    Last edited by reprep; 03-07-2013 at 05:56 AM.

@ reprep cheers for the info regarding the 64m gb card and super gameboy. i didn't know about the multi sram menu. this makes the card much more appealing because that one save limitation was a put off. also the fact the card works well with the SGB is another plus. reseting the snes to get the SGB border after loading a game from multi rom menu is another great tip :)
    when i get my usb 64m gb card i think i will use it with SGB for old BW games to take advantage of the SGB border and customisable game pallette and use it with my gamecube and gameboy player for GBC games.

Foot Soldier

@butfluffy: you are welcome.

there are some gameboy color enhanced gameboy games. like pokemon yellow. some of them look better on super game boy, some of them look better in gba (or gameboy player)

it all depends on the game really.

for example pokemon red and blue looks much better on super game boy than gba or gameboy player.

usb 64mb gb cart is a good investment for 40$. some games don't work but most of them have patches. Mottzilla created patches for a lot of games and still continue to make them.

It will probably be exactly like the SMART CARD 64M but with more feature, like copy/paste of 2GB of games, and beeing able to keep more than one save in the flashcard.

For the GBA, just get the EZ Flash Card, cheap and very good, some real times games are patched, save works perfectly, only multigames roms does not work.

Edit :

reprep : Thanks ! I did not know about this patch, i used to backup my save everytime!!!
    I will try it right now !
    So happy !
    Last edited by justice99; 03-07-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Conscript

Just a quick update on the poll/Survey
    It has definitely gotten a lot more colorful since last I checked :)

vote2.png
    Don't foget to give you own vote if you havn't already ;)
    http://poll.pollcode.com/tbhf1q

Again, remember, this is not an official poll and is not associated with Krikzz or his products.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by reprep View Post
    also Mottzilla wrote a multi SRAM menu which lets multiple game saving. it was multiple games, 1 save before that.
    Where can one find the SRAM menu?

Foot Soldier

A Sega Saturn Everdrive? Other than RAM, memory card and cheat codes could the Saturn actually run games from the cart slot? I don't know why but the poll listing a Saturn Everdrive just really caught my eye.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

The poll is a wishlist. It does not necessarily have a standing in reality. It might in theory be possible to play Saturn games from the Cartridge slot if the games all used standard functions to access the CD for data. You could hook those functions and instead use another storage device. If the cartridge port has Audio mixing pins it could even support CD audio. But this is just what may be technically possible. He has never said anything about actually doing it.

Foot Soldier

Any update on a time frame for the NES everdrive?

the mottzilla sram menu can be found at ​http://thegaminguniverse.org/ninjagaiden4/mottzilla/

Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by BlockABoots View Post
    Any update on a time frame for the NES everdrive?
    Release date of nes version moved to mid-end april. Mail delayed a lot my prototype pcb boards
    I looking for genesis 2 with motherboard VA2

Site Supporter 2013 Combat Soldier

Bummer. Was those mail from China by any chance? Seems like a lot of things were delayed by as much as a month from their New Years holiday. Their holiday are serious business, you can't even find an open place to buy smokes at all.