Thread: Devil May Cry HD Collection not surround cutscenes?

Foot Soldier

Devil May Cry HD Collection not surround cutscenes?

Today i got the chance to try Devil May Cry HD Collection on my PS3. First of all i tried my all time favourite Devil May Cry 3 SE. When the intro movie began, i noticed that sound was coming from only 2 front speakers of my surround system. I rechecked my PS3 audio settings to be sure that it is sending 5.1 audio. Yes everything for my sound setup was perfect. The next cutscene was stereo too. Only after the game began, i began to get surround audio. Of course first i couldn't believe as the game is advertised as supporting both Dolby Digital and DTS audio and even the PS2 version had dolby surround audio for its cutscenes. I then checked my PS2 Devil May Cry 3 SE. It is connected via optical output to my Home Theater. First i chose the option Dolby Digital Prologic II in sound settings (They are trying to say Dolby Digital). I then got my Dolby digital surround audio in glorious 5.1 from all speakers. So what they did was to upconvert stereo audio to 5.1 for in-game music,sounds and downconverting 5.1 audio to stereo for cutscenes. I searched the web and got surprised that nobody mentioned this in reviews.

I post here on the toilet sometimes.
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

audio quality is unfortunately over looked most of the times. It doesn't help most people know jack shit about it.

Bleep.
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Member Elite

Am I misreading this: you only get surround sound from the PS2 version if you have it set to Dolby Pro Logic II? Do you get surround if you set your PS3 to output stereo only and then switch your amp to Dolby Pro Logic?

I'm asking this because Dolby Pro Logic is NOT the same as Dolby Digital. Dolby Pro Logic is created by using some jiggery-pokery to extract the channels from the left & right channels. Dolby Digital is real separate channels. So sometimes, if you have a stereo source and turn Dolby Pro Logic on, it gives the appearance of it being surround sound even when it's not.

If they used the original soundtrack files, it might be that the cutscenes were always in stereo, and Konami had messed up from the start.

Still, it's a shame if no-one has noticed this issue throughout the duration of playtesting this, and no-one else appears to have noticed this issue in all the reviews, the Devil May Cry forums or even the GameFAQ forums, as far as I can see.

EDIT: I don't know why but the first time around I wrote 'Silent Hill' where I've highlighted. Silent Hill also had issues with the audio (as well as everything else wrong with it), but a patch being issued for it. Obviously, seeing that all over the internet made me type the wrong thing. This is why you shouldn't browse ASSEMbler before bed, kids!
    Last edited by mooseblaster; 08-26-2012 at 06:32 AM.

ASSEMbler Elite

Wrong game, this is Devil May Cry HD Collection.

Not Silent Hill HD Collection.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by mooseblaster View Post
    Am I misreading this: you only get surround sound from the PS2 version if you have it set to Dolby Pro Logic II? Do you get surround if you set your PS3 to output stereo only and then switch your amp to Dolby Pro Logic? I'm asking this because Dolby Pro Logic is NOT the same as Dolby Digital. Dolby Pro Logic is created by using some jiggery-pokery to extract the channels from the left & right channels. Dolby Digital is real separate channels. So sometimes, if you have a stereo source and turn Dolby Pro Logic on, it gives the appearance of it being surround sound even when it's not. If they used the original soundtrack files, it might be that the cutscenes were always in stereo, and Konami had messed up from the start. Still, it's a shame if no-one has noticed this issue throughout the duration of playtesting this, and no-one else appears to have noticed this issue in all the reviews, the Silent Hill forums or even the GameFAQ forums, as far as I can see.
    Well i think i should explain it better. I know the difference between Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital. But for some reason Capcom listed Dolby Digital as Dolby Digital Pro Logic II in DMC 3 audio setting menu. It was the same in Onimusha 4 too if i don't remember wrong. The PS2 Devil May Cry 3 SE (or the normal edition) has 4 audio settings:Mono,Stereo,Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital Pro Logic II.

Mono and stereo options are self explanatory. Dolby Pro Logic II is just what you described. Stereo sound in fact using some tricks to make it surround. Most Home theaters can easily decode this in DPL II mode. The fourth and the last option Dolby Digital Pro Logic II (there is nothing described as this in dolby site) is pure Dolby Digital Surround which is 5.1 discrete channels. I can confirm i am getting Dolby Digital audio in cut-scenes via optical audio output if i choose this. The in-game audio on PS2 is DPL II.

PS3 DMC3 SE has no audio setting and when i begin the game i just get 2 channels audio in cutscenes as i described above. I did some more research and fiddled with PS3 settings and found out the reason. The game sends 5.1 Dolby Digital (or DTS depending on your PS3's audio settings) audio at all times as promised on the cover. But the problem is that, in the cutscenes only L and R channel info is sent wrapped in 5.1 audio packets. It means that the rest 4 channels are quiet. As the home theater thinks it is true 5.1, it doesn't apply Dolby Pro Logic II algorithm on it even if you enable the option. It is a known problem when you play ps1 games in your PS3 when your PS3 is connected to your HT via HDMI. PS3 sends the audio as 2 channels wrapped in 5.1 channels, so Home theaters refuse to apply DPL II unless you disable all 5.1 output on your ps3 audio settings.

When you begin the game, you get all 6 channels Dolby Digital audio. There is no real solution to the problem i descibed. If you disable all kind of 5.1 audio output on your PS3 to be able to apply DPL II algorithm on cutscenes, you will succeed to hear 5.1 audio in cutscenes (It is DPL II though not Dolby Digital as in PS2) But this time you will lose Dolby Digital sound for in-game audio and you will have to do with DPL II. Hope i am clear enough. I might provide more info if needed.

P.S. I forgot to say that my PS3 is connected to my HT via HDMI. I know that if i connect it via optical output, it will solve the upconverting issue in cutscenes but again this doesn't change the fact that they didn't include full 5.1 dolby digital sound for cutscenes which was available on PS2. To be able to test this on any HT, disable any kind of sound up-converting algorithm on your HT (DPL, DPL II etc).
    Last edited by reprep; 08-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Bleep.
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Member Elite

Ah, sorry - in the lateness of the hour, I misunderstood the settings you described in the PS2 version.

This *is* a bit of a weird one.

Foot Soldier

I played a few more levels and interestingly i began to get dolby digital surround sound (or DTS according to your PS3 audio settings) for the following other cutscenes.

But i still get stereo audio for the first two cutscenes which are full 5.1 on PS2. Strange.

I post here on the toilet sometimes.
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by reprep View Post
    I played a few more levels and interestingly i began to get dolby digital surround sound (or DTS according to your PS3 audio settings) for the following other cutscenes.

But i still get stereo audio for the first two cutscenes which are full 5.1 on PS2. Strange.
    Probably when they were porting it someone decided to cheap out and some one else on staff doing other cut scenes did it right. shrug it off.

Member Elite

Can anyone else Test this?
    This would be a major oversight :(

Foot Soldier

Just for the info. I tested this on PAL devil may cry HD collection on a PAL PS3 and NTSC devil may cry 3 SE on a PAL PS2.

Conscript

Cutscenes didn't get a HD treatment (they are 4:3 just like the menus, and as you can see stereo-only), so i guess they did a poor job on the porting process.

Member Elite

And you have verified and tested this yourself?

Some of the menus didn't get 16:9 treatment because it was basically impossible to do so. Some of the original developers have commented on it and said as much,if only I could find the article ..

And seriously 4:3 isn't such a big deal. GOW 1&2 collection didn't have HD videos either(they were the original SD videos just upsacled), you didn't see people calling it crap for it.