I got bitten by the 'rip the mask ROM off and solder on a EPROM' bug a little while ago. Nothing too fancy but I felt like sharing :-)
First up it's a couple of GB Classic carts. Here's my first GB cart I made, an old Killer Instinct cart converted 'ghetto style'. I felt no shame in doing this as KI on the GB is probably the worst port I've ever played:
I ended up just Aradite'ing the fecker, the DIP switch is to switch between different games, proper ghetto:
I decided to try and do a better job next time, so I grabbed a Warioland II cart off ebay and got the tools out:
Stuck it back in the case and popped a ZIF socket on it, job done:
Next up is a photo of my current project, SNES carts. Again I feel no shame in cutting up an old 'Super Soccer' cart as it's a dreadful, dreadful game:
The grey box on the left is my Dataman S4 programmer emulating a 27c040 chip, plugged into the ROM socket on the 'Super Soccer' cart. It's a fairly old clunky device, it's limited to 4mbit and ROM's are uploaded via RS232. Still can recommend them, they have a fairly common fault where the internal battery pack fails and causes the device to stop booting up, even when connected to external power. For this reason they pop up on ebay broken fairly cheap, swap the internal battery and you are back in business.
Fairly pleased with this one as I nailed it on the first go. It was a trial run for my SuperFX cart which I'm intending to convert into a Starfox 2. Then the next step is disabling the CIC chip and adding in a 50/60Hz switch.
Wish me luck!