Thread: Xbox Alpha Controller (+ Internal pics)

Is secretly 32-bit
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Xbox Pad Xbox Alpha Controller (+ Internal pics)

Don't have anything to say except enjoy.

I find this a very nice looking controller. Those 2 white ovals are lights. Also notice how it has a 6-button layout like the Sega Saturn controller. The buttons are labeled A-F. Start and select buttons in the middle are unlabeled.

This looks like a later alpha and has the final xbox logo. The shiny plastic is translucent, but the camera couldn't pick up it's innards. The entire controller is also translucent.

A quick look at the pivot area of the analog stick. Reminds me of the N64's.

A look at the top of the controller. At this point, the xbox had bumpers and triggers. The bumpers are designated as 7 and 8, probably to avoid confusion because the letters A-F are the first six letters of the alphabet. Also, can someone enlighten me on why there is a power input on a wired controller?

The two triggers are on the back and are unlabeled. They are flat, so I find it very easy for fingers to slip off. Also, can anyone also explain why there is a battery compartment as well on the controller?

Now for some internal goodies. I only took pictures of the back of the board because I couldn't get the board out. Short wires, screws and tight fittings. Ugh. No sense in destroying this thing yet! :P

Eventually I'll get my dad to help me pry the board out and get pictures of the front. He's better at handling this stuff than I will ever be. One useful gene that didn't get passed down.

I post here on the toilet sometimes.
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

I believe I took pictures of this controller when I was visiting the Microsoft campus and they had it on display. I posted the pictures on this forum a few years back. Mine was a bit blurry since there was a no photos rule lol

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Very nice.

That's cool looking

Foot Soldier

Interesting design. It looks like a combination of an N64, Saturn and 3rd party PlayStation controller. lol

It definitely haves the Sidewinder look on the button layout and the D-pad thankfully it's just a prototype.

If I have to guess the DC plug is to supply enough juice for the rumble feature probably you can follow the traces to see where they lead and the battery pack could be that they wanted to make them wireless like the 360 controllers back in the day who knows! same casing for different tests.

I n any case is a nice piece of history and assuming by your comments is better to leave it like that if you are not confident on taking it apart.

congratulations on the great find!

Site Supporter 2014 Foot Soldier

Awesome! Didn't they nickname this controller the "hammerhead"?

PtoPOnline.com Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Thats one of the later ones, always neat to see.

Site Supporter 2014 Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    Thats one of the later ones, always neat to see.
    What is the difference, I know some that just had an "X" on them where this one says "Xbox" but that is all I can tell.

Admin
    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Blog Entries
    Those are the buffalo pads I beleive

Yeahhhh!! FREE DINNER FOR ME! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    What exactly are the lights for? The controller looks amazing though, also what's with the battery compartment?

PtoPOnline.com Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by ASSEMbler View Post
    Those are the buffalo pads I beleive
    Interact Hammerhead controllers.

http://www.joy-stick.net/reviews/gam...hammerhead.htm

Foot Soldier

I would love to have something like that in my collection! You're very lucky. Please don't break it!

Since it's standard USB connection, it'd be interesting to plug into a Windows 7 machine and see what it's recognized as. ;)
    Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law.

Is secretly 32-bit
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

When I plugged it into my computer, the left light came one, so it's probably player 1 and then player 2. What surprised me even more, is when I plugged it into my computer (Windows 7, 64-bit) it was recognized. Wonder if any Steam games would work with it.

Foot Soldier

If you can, please go to your device manager. I wonder if it's recognized as a Sidewinder gamepad, or more likely an Interact gamepad.
    Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law.

Is secretly 32-bit
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by gs37 View Post
    If you can, please go to your device manager. I wonder if it's recognized as a Sidewinder gamepad, or more likely an Interact gamepad.
    It's a little weird, unless I wasn't looking in the right spot or it was using a generic driver. But it didn't show up under the USB tree. Anyways, When I plugged it into a different computer and it installed the driver, it was recognized as an Interact gamepad.

Hey i have 2 of those! i bought them in a dutch pawn shop called used product's! (im from poland but i live in holland)

PtoPOnline.com Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Let me know if you ever want to sell them :P