Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everdrive 64 v2 or 64 Drive

Site Supporter 2014 Foot Soldier

N64 CartB01 Everdrive 64 v2 or 64 Drive

Hi guys,

just wanted some advice on your experiences with the 2 carts. Im looking at purchasing one, and am personally leaning towards an Everdrive v2 as I've been following Krikkz's progress for awhile now and love his work, but the 64 drive also keeps popping up.

From what i understand, the everdrive emulates the 6102/7101, however the 64Drive appears to use an actual 6102 chip. Whilst this will make absolutely no difference to the gameplay (only the protection scheme is emulated, not the game obviously), does it have any compatibility issues?

The other advantage of 64Drive Ive come across is CF compatibility which is a plus as i have many CF cards laying around.

i guess what im looking for is the following:
    • Compatibility
    • Future Proof
    • Features
    • Price

If there is a comparison chart on features someone could point me to it would be appreciated, otherwise yap away some advice!

Member Elite

everdrive 64 does not emulates cic6102, ed64 also use actual 6102 and boot emulator for pass protection in games which used another cic (non 6102). boot methods completely same in all existing carts, cuz it is the only possible way on this moment
    I looking for genesis 2 with motherboard VA2

Quote Originally Posted by KRIKzz View Post
    everdrive 64 does not emulates cic6102, ed64 also use actual 6102 and boot emulator for pass protection in games which used another cic (non 6102). boot methods completely same in all existing carts, cuz it is the only possible way on this moment
    ah thanks for that. i read on krikkz page that it emulates cic6102 so wasnt sure?!?
    anyone able to give me an idea of the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Foot Soldier

They are almost the same(but be sure to get a V2 Everdrive, V1 was inferior). The 64Drive promised to have some advanced features later on but so far nothing worth mentioning was released ;)

I myself have the 64Drive and I love it, only reason I prefered it was that Krikzz doesn't ship to germany and Marshall does :P
    Last edited by sanni; 05-24-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hi, i own the following N64 Carts:

Neo Myth N64
    64Drive
    Everdrive 64 v1
    Everdrive 64 v2

The Neo Myth N64 is pretty old, and its based on memory cards sold separatly, cannot load roms over 256 mbit from SD Cards, and it should use a cart with the cic of the game you want to run, the only one advantage is that it can run Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini (Uncracked Version).

Sometime ago, the 64Drive used to be faster at loading games, and used a pretty good looking interface, after Everdrive 64 v2, things changed, and now ED64 v2 its abosutly the fastest and in my opinion the best one, the only advantage on 64Drive is that can play mp3 files on your n64 wich could sound trivial, but a nice feature too.
    Last edited by happyhacking; 05-24-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Insane redneck retro gamer... ASSEMbler Elite

Blog Entries
    I have the ED64 too and it works wonderfully for me. Played lots of Conker's Bad Fur Day on it. That game is around 60 MB (480 Mbit) in size and can be played. It loads in like 8 seconds or less. ED64 can play Banjo Tooie if a 6105 is installed in place of 6102 chip (for NTSC models). All other games seem to be supported if everything is set up correctly and the games are good dumps. (Some games I have crash. Must be bad dumps. AAAUUURRRRGGGGHHHH!!!) Best of all, the ED64 is like $55 to $85 cheaper than 64 Drive depending on options if purchased from Retrogate. I may be wrong in some of this but is what I've either experienced or researched.

PS: I'm talking about ED64 V2.
    Last edited by sonicdude10; 05-24-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    What ever you do, DON'T CLICK HERE!!!
    I'm now on Sega-16

Combat Soldier

Without comparing the two carts, all I will say is that you can actually get an ED64 ($129.00 with CIC installed and Case cut out) or the Stone Age Deluxe ($174.99). They are normally in stock. The 64drive is perpetually on pre-order, and really the only rational option is the full case/CIC/cart for $199.00, more than the ED64. I haven't followed how long it takes to get one, but I imagine the 64drive like I said involves a long wait time to get.

aleomark did a speed test last year, although the ED64 may have gotten faster since then. I think you have to hit reset to save on both carts (if the rom is one that used onboard storage). The 64drive GUI is much nicer, but Krikzz really hasn't had time to ramp his up yet.

Site Supporter 2013 Foot Soldier

One thing to note is that the 64drive USB speed is much faster then the EverDrive 64, so if you're a developer that will help.

Foot Soldier

You can play MP3s on any setup actually. There's a few players for those and certain tracker formats floating around the net. Two that come to minds are Namp64 for mp3s and mikmod for tracker, but there are newer ones as well. With either option above you'd have to use their provided programs to tack tracklists to a copy of the player's ROM. I've done it on and off with a V64jr.
    Last edited by Zoinkity; 05-24-2012 at 06:20 PM.

ok, thanks for the input. am i correct in saying if i purchased an Everdrive 64 with a cic6105 installed in place of the 6102, it will not cause any compatibility issues with games that use 6102?

Would that result in the best compatibility rate?

also, SonicDude, yeah im gonna play the crap out of Conkers when i get it lol :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zetrox2k View Post
    ok, thanks for the input. am i correct in saying if i purchased an Everdrive 64 with a cic6105 installed in place of the 6102, it will not cause any compatibility issues with games that use 6102?

also, SonicDude, yeah im gonna play the crap out of Conkers when i get it lol :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think a 6105 in the ED64v2 causes problems with 6102 games, I think it only causes problems with some 6101 (or maybe its 6103) games that use a certain save format, maybe KRIKzz or someone else can elaborate.
    Last edited by StoneAgeGamer; 05-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    I beat the game on all 3 save states. Then my PSU fried and I broke the controller in anger. Damnit!
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    I'm now on Sega-16

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdude10 View Post
    I beat the game on all 3 save states. Then my PSU fried and I broke the controller in anger. Damnit!
    Lol. that controller. got my hands back on one last night after about 12 years or so... and damn..... that thing feels awkward.... i wonder if any 3rd party still makes anything similar to the dreamcast controller thats compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think a 6105 in the ED64v2 causes problems with 6102 games, I think it only causes problems with some 6101 (or maybe its 6103) games that use a certain save format, maybe KRIKzz or someone else can elaborate.
    Would it be possible to install both and connect them through a small switch?

Blog Entries
    Would it be possible to install both and connect them through a small switch?
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...older-tutorial

Start at post #12 and go from there.
    I'm now on Sega-16

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by sanni View Post
    They are almost the same(but be sure to get a V2 Everdrive, V1 was inferior). The 64Drive promised to have some advanced features later on but so far nothing worth mentioning was released ;)

I myself have the 64Drive and I love it, only reason I prefered it was that Krikzz doesn't ship to germany and Marshall does :P
    Pretty sure marshall hasn't lied about future features, he's working on various things for the 64drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdude10 View Post
    I have the ED64 too and it works wonderfully for me. Played lots of Conker's Bad Fur Day on it. That game is around 60 MB (480 Mbit) in size and can be played. It loads in like 8 seconds or less. ED64 can play Banjo Tooie if a 6105 is installed in place of 6102 chip (for NTSC models). All other games seem to be supported if everything is set up correctly and the games are good dumps. (Some games I have crash. Must be bad dumps. AAAUUURRRRGGGGHHHH!!!) Best of all, the ED64 is like $55 to $85 cheaper than 64 Drive depending on options if purchased from Retrogate. I may be wrong in some of this but is what I've either experienced or researched.

PS: I'm talking about ED64 V2.
    If a 6105 CIC is installed in the 64drive, it can play Banjo Tooie as well..

Quote Originally Posted by happyhacking View Post
    Hi, i own the following N64 Carts:

Neo Myth N64
    64Drive
    Everdrive 64 v1
    Everdrive 64 v2

The Neo Myth N64 is pretty old, and its based on memory cards sold separatly, cannot load roms over 256 mbit from SD Cards, and it should use a cart with the cic of the game you want to run, the only one advantage is that it can run Banjo Tooie and Jet Force Gemini (Uncracked Version).

Sometime ago, the 64Drive used to be faster at loading games, and used a pretty good looking interface, after Everdrive 64 v2, things changed, and now ED64 v2 its abosutly the fastest and in my opinion the best one, the only advantage on 64Drive is that can play mp3 files on your n64 wich could sound trivial, but a nice feature too.
    The ED64 is only faster at loading games at the moment due to the 64drive being capped at 9 meg/second.. Marshall's working on an update, it'll be uncapped and the 64drive will once again be faster than the ED64.

As far as I'm aware, using the 6105 CIC in the ED64 will cause compatibility issues with games that use the 6103 CIC.. This issue doesn't exist with the 64drive; I'd know, I own a 64drive with a 6105 CIC installed. If you want me to be honest (No, I'm not trying to down the ED64,) the 64drive has the best compatibility rate.

Note: Why is this in the ED64 section when it's pretty much a discussion about the ED64 and the 64drive?
    I come off as an arrogant jerk sometimes, feel free to bring me back down to level when that happens; however, it's not intentional most of the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Consoles: Sega Genesis | Nintendo 64 | Nintendo Gamecube | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Nintendo Wii | Sony PSP | Sony PS2 | Sony PS3 | Microsoft Xbox | Microsoft Xbox 360
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member Elite

C-Kronos oh, 64Drive promo manager come back in ed64 thread :p you have 64drive, but don't have ed64, so i wonder why you post so many messages about ed64 here, and on some other forums? like this for example. i would be happy to not hear your objective point of view anymore, but i am just a thief from crappy country, and probably i must shut up and endure

well i don't care about a few seconds loading speed mp3s or banjo tooie ^^
    i just wanted to buy the cheaper one :D

the main reason why i bought a ed64 is that the ram in my doctor v64 is broken

that could be a new product, krikzz ^^ memory extensions for old systems, if you could find the ram-chips - some are really hard to find

Member Elite

you mean something like ram for old backup devices?

Quote Originally Posted by KRIKzz View Post
    you mean something like ram for old backup devices?
    yes for example ^^ or whatever could be extended with more ram old ataris or similar home computers

i think dram was often used at this time

edit:
    your japanese distribution partner for example is selling old used ones for the doctor v64, perhaps they know better if there is a market or not

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.p...f7ljkc90t7i2t4
    Last edited by saturnu; 05-26-2012 at 04:12 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast