Thread: running triforce dumps on GC possible??

Ngc Orange01 running triforce dumps on GC possible??

Hi

I'm new to this site and i have read allot about the progress for emulating triforce arcade games. Since i'm kind of new to all this stuff and i have allot of things to learn before i can understand the technical stuff i would like to ask a few question about the possibility to play triforce games on a (modded)gamecube. Since the hardware is somehow the same and most of the games are dumped is there not a way to use this game data from the triforce games to run these on a gamecube? Or create a kind of triforce loader disco that loads this data?? Sorry for the noobish questions :) but i'm very interrested in this kind of matter and i want to try to learn as much as possible, but there is not exactly a guideline how to or where to start. also don't mind the spelling errors, english is not my native language (not even the second lanuage in my country).

Thanks in advance

Combat Soldier

There's sources in MAME I think, or if not, probably The Guru's site about how to emulate triforce games.
    If you wanted to get them running on GC hardware then you'd need to either patch them to make them read data differently, and ignore the security chip, and read the controllers correctly, or just make an emulator which would run quite a bit slower.
    So either way, good luck with that...!

So if i got it right you need to take the dumped game and modify it with a patch so that the GC can read the game file correctly? What programs do you need to apply a patch on these files? Just a thought: if there could be created some kind of triforce loader (like the sd loader for the gamecube) would a gamecube recognize these files? Are these the same of the same kind like the GC games (.gcm).
    I'm reading allot of information about the internal structure of the GC but it is still not clear what the real differences are between the cube and the triforce (expect for the security key and the input). I can buy a triforce pcb from somebody nearby, but is it necessart to have one of these ? It would be useless to spend (some) money if it is not really necessary.

Combat Soldier

Well what I meant is no such tool exists, if you want to research about it and make one, feel free!
    An emulator for the Wii exists.

Combat Soldier

Triforce isn't just a GameCube in a different case with a GD-Rom attached. It has twice as much system RAM and probably quite a few other differences from the home console.

Combat Soldier

It is possible to run triforce games on Wii, not GC, but if you want to actually play, you'll still need to do this:

Quote Originally Posted by splith
    patch them to make them read data differently, and ignore the security chip, and read the controllers correctly, or just make an emulator which would run quite a bit slower.
    I'd rather stick with hacking Dolphin emulator, it's easier (no hardware mods needed) and games will look a lot better in full HD.

Member Elite

did crediar release anything yet

I did not heard anything from a release of the triforce loader for the Wii... Just to come back on the topic, i have read somewhere that the memory of the triforce is the same as the gamecube and not double as many believe. i saw the pictures of the board and i could not find any difference on the cube board, is there anybody who can confirm this?

Combat Soldier

Probably can be expanded through adding boards and whatnot;
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=545
    Main RAM : Main Memory 48 MB MoSys 1T-SRAM, Approximately 10ns Sustainable Latency.
    RAM : Version "A" upgradable RAM modules, up to 512MB (possibly higher)
    RAM : Version "B" unknown

Though on the NAOMI the extra RAM was for holding the GD-ROM data in. I think in the chichario you could add an extra 512MB of RAM for outrun and it'd actually use it as RAM for the game, not for storing the GD-ROM data on.

I just read this on Tmbinc website (http://debugmo.de/2008/05/part-1-dum...-triforce-ipl/) > "I’ve already described that the heart of the beast is a basically unmodified retail Gamecube board. Rumors tell it has 48MB of (MEM1-)RAM, but based on the memory chip quantity and description, I cannot confirm that – they exactly match a retail Gamecube. As a side note, games seem to be 512MB max. I won’t give any further comment about the possible implications of these facts ;). ". I think he reffered this for a type a board. Maybe that the type b board has a different setup for the memory... (i'm still checking for scans of this pcb.