Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32X - hissing sound, not good...

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

MD Super32X01 32X - hissing sound, not good...

I tried to turn on my 32X the other day, and it made a hissing sound. It will not load anything, although the screen does flicker when I turn the Genesis on. If I disconnect the power from the 32X, it doesn't make this hissing sound. This makes me think that there's something wrong with the AC adapter. It's really weird; I've never had a solid state console make a sound before. Either there's something wrong with the AC adapter, or there's something really fucked up in the 32X itself. It didn't seem to damage my Genesis or my monitor, though; they're still functioning. I'm hesitant to even try it again, though, because I don't want to cause damage.

Member Hardcore

Caps. Hissing sounds is always due to caps.
    Plug in the AC adapter, turn on the console. Move them far apart and listen to each- whichever is hissing at you needs a fix.

If you've used the AC adapter for something else that put strain on it, most likely it's the issue.

EDIT- IF it's caps, using it again shouldn't cause too much damage, if you don't keep it on for a while. I had a router with a cap/hissing issue and it ran with no issues, just made noise.
    Be careful not to run it for extended periods of times, or have it on multiple times in a short period of time- That router I had went "bam" and the caps blew. Smelt like shit.
    Last edited by DefectX11; 04-28-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    Its not always caps for hissing noises (but it probably is in this instance)

Also, he should replace them and not use it. Caps can short circuit or they can fail and be open...

Have no idea what you are talking about with the using the AC adapter on something else though.

In short, get it recapped.
    Last edited by Bad_Ad84; 04-28-2012 at 05:55 AM.
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Member Hardcore

What I mean with the AC adapter is you used it for something that needs a higher amperage than what it's rated for. Adapters can crank out extra amps, but not without strain on the system.

I doubt that's the case though.

And I'd go with Bad-Ad84 and say don't use them. if you want to you can open them both up and check to see if any of the caps are bulging on the top.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Well, I opened it up, and I there wasn't anything visibly wrong with any of the capacitors. They weren't "bulging" as you said. However, I did find a lot of what looked like very small, blond hairs - not mine. I cleaned them out, put it back together, and now it works again - but it's still making the hissing sound. I don't trust it for now. Any other ideas? Could the caps still be fucked even though they look normal?

I don't like the "3000" Image below.
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by la-li-lu-le-lo View Post
    Well, I opened it up, and I there wasn't anything visibly wrong with any of the capacitors. They weren't "bulging" as you said. However, I did find a lot of what looked like very small, blond hairs - not mine. I cleaned them out, put it back together, and now it works again - but it's still making the hissing sound. I don't trust it for now. Any other ideas? Could the caps still be fucked even though they look normal?
    Exploded Capacitor.jpg

Yup. Just find out the names of all of them (should be a spec sheet somewhere if you can't read them on the caps themselves) and just replace them all.

I can't remember what the internals of a 32x look like but I can't imagine that it'd be too difficult and I'm sure someone on the board would be able to help you out.
    Last edited by Twimfy; 04-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

I'm confused - are you saying that photo is what I described, or that's what's going to happen? Because that's not what I saw. As I said, the capacitors looked normal. The yellowish hair-like things were centered around the cart connector; there were a few elsewhere, but they were mostly centered around the cart connector. There was also some dust elsewhere.

If replacement of all caps is really what it needs, I'm not sure it's worth it, considering a replacement 32X would not be that expensive.

EDIT: I just remembered I have another non-working 32X. Maybe I could do a transplant.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 04-29-2012 at 11:27 AM.

I don't like the "3000" Image below.
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Soldier

When you mentioned yellow hair I immediately thought of the picture above but perhaps it was simply just yellow hair.

I'm not saying that's going to happen but it really does sound like a caps problem.

サンボマスターファン
    Site Supporter 2014
    Site Benefactor
    Member Hardcore

I don't know if it's just me but the 32X seem one of the most failing hardware I've ever had. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    In which Al Qaeda cave did you take those pictures?

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Twimfy's picture looks like what happened to a sub amp of mine when water got inside and shorted out a voltage regulator. Replace the cap, turn on the sub, BANG. Went off right into my foot too.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Member Hardcore

Ouch. Caps go off like bombs, especially the big ones.
    But really, it does sound like a caps problem. I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. What you could do (wear eye protection) is open it up, turn it on and pinpoint the source of the sound.

Foot Soldier

I highly doubt it's a capacitor issue, try reseating the two ribbon cables inside the 32X and see if that clears it up.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Just tried that and it didn't work; it's still making the hissing sound. One of them did seem a bit loose, but I corrected it and it's still making the sound. By the way, when I listened to it before, the sound seemed to be coming from the left side of the board.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 05-30-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    I highly doubt it's a capacitor issue, try reseating the two ribbon cables inside the 32X and see if that clears it up.
    The shitty white cables of death. This things are a real PITA when it comes to 32X's.

[11-05, 20:14] amiga1200: it's fols like YOU that make me empathise with BOMBERS!

[11-05, 20:12] amiga1200:
    @ CUNTIST, i mean cyantist. aren't you on my shitlist? why are you quoting my responses? i'm not getting sucked into your englishness, sorry!

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by la-li-lu-le-lo View Post
    Just tried that and it didn't work; it's still making the hissing sound. One of them did seem a bit loose, but I corrected it and it's still making the sound. By the way, when I listened to it before, the sound seemed to be coming from the left side of the board.
    I've been troubleshooting the same issue, although mine does boot and play.

There's a high-pitched whistle/whine/hum from the left side of the board.

In looking at a few other threads, there seems to be a lot of discussion on the "inductor" on that left side, and it's quality. It seems that SEGA used an inferior one, or that the inductor goes bad after a while?

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...nd-when-played

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/view...hp?f=18&t=3530

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...g-Crying-Noise

I've taken a look at mine, and the inductor does seem to be the source of the noise. None of the caps around that area appear to be making any sound.

Now, is it possible that bad/failing capacitors could cause the inductor to be noisy, and THAT'S the problem?

Or, is it a bad inductor? I just don't know . . .

The inductor on my unit is labeled "331" on the top, and I am still trying to determine what I should replace it with.

A similar rated inductor? A higher rated one? OR, is it the caps . . . ?

I'd be interested to hear what else you learn . . . it seems that the noise 32x is a common problem, such as this situation:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ter-Burner-32X

There's some great breakdown pictures of the 32x here - -

http://notaz.gp2x.de/hw.php (scroll down to the SEGA 32x section, he has some very high resolution images)

Here's one of his pictures; the inductor is the largest cylindrical object on the left side of the board

32x_case_front_open2.jpg

-a2a

Combat Soldier

Remove plastic cover from it and glue the coil to ferrite core. This should eliminate that hissing sound. It's a common problem with various types of chokes and transformers - coil moves on ferrite core with current frequency, so it becomes a kind of speaker. If it's glued - there's no sound anymore.

Conscript

hissing sound, it might be snakes! Always check your sega for snakes.

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Remove plastic cover from it and glue the coil to ferrite core. This should eliminate that hissing sound. It's a common problem with various types of chokes and transformers - coil moves on ferrite core with current frequency, so it becomes a kind of speaker. If it's glued - there's no sound anymore.
    Interesting! Do you think that standard hot glue gun glue would be okay, and not cause damage? I'll desolder the inductor and take a peek. Good idea - - I think!

Have you done this to an inductor yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by gamecast View Post
    snakesplane-400x270.jpg

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking SEGA!"

;)

-a2a

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    In that case, there's no risk of damage to the 32X or any devices connected to it, right? So the only reason to eliminate it is to get rid of the sound.

I did find 5 snakes inside, but that doesn't seem relevant to the discussion.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 05-31-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Why would I want to check SEGA corporation for snakes?
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast