Thread: Need help looking for a job

Need help looking for a job

At the start of this year I went to university, but I didn't enjoy my course. It was just one miserable day after another so I submitted a form to the university that said I am cancelling my course.

Ever since then I have been looking for a job. By now I've submitted applications to roughly 20-25 different places and haven't gotten a single response. I'm not looking for skilled work, just simple stuff like the cash register at a supermarket and restaurants which advertise "training provided". About two thirds of the positions I apply for are advertised as being available.

Now before I become some lifeless person who eats, sleeps, lives with his parents at 50, spends his day watching anime, browsing forums and gaming then dieing a nobody I am asking for help to get a job and get back on track with life.

Below are my resume (with fake personal details) and cover letter. Any help on how to improve either of these and any other tips would be very much appreciated.

EDIT

It's occured to me no half decent human resources staff would hire someone witout copying and pasting a sentence of someone's cover letter into google to test for orginality. I'll upload a .bmp file of my revised cover letter and resume tomorrow.
    Last edited by gray.fullbusterzzz; 04-29-2012 at 08:40 AM.

STAAAAAAR POWERRRR! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Posting your address on the forum for everyone to view + your number is quite over the top don't you think... You should really remove that information.

Member Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by HeXiGON View Post
    Posting your address on the forum for everyone to view + your number is quite over the top don't you think... You should really remove that information.
    You didn't actually read what he wrote did you, lol?

...The clue is the line "fake details".
    Fac 51

- Love Will Tear Us Apart -

STAAAAAAR POWERRRR! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    You didn't actually read what he wrote did you, lol?

...The clue is the line "fake details".
    Nope, saw the details lol. Fail me.

Foot Soldier

Have you tried just walking in, asking to see the manager and then telling him you're looking for a job? A good first impression is going to work much better than your current resume.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedKnight View Post
    Have you tried just walking in, asking to see the manager and then telling him you're looking for a job? A good first impression is going to work much better than your current resume.
    Done that. I address the managers by their first names if I know them.

Combat Soldier

whilst waiting for a job you could volunteer yourself for some charity work, working with disabled people etc. which shows you in a very good light when you come to a job interview as it shows your not lazy and want to keep yourself busy and your someone who likes to help others and your willing to work even when not getting paid, these things can help when it comes to finding a job as it sounds better when they ask what you have been doing in the interim.

Aside from that, you need to apply, apply, apply - sadly in the current climate its all you can do

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    whilst waiting for a job you could volunteer yourself for some charity work, working with disabled people etc. which shows you in a very good light when you come to a job interview as it shows your not lazy and want to keep yourself busy and your someone who likes to help others and your willing to work even when not getting paid, these things can help when it comes to finding a job as it sounds better when they ask what you have been doing in the interim.

Aside from that, you need to apply, apply, apply - sadly in the current climate its all you can do
    There's been a position as a volunteer "waste handler" I've had my eye on for a while now. You convinced me to send an email and ask for it. It probably will help me get a job sooner or later. In the meantime I'll at least have more to do than sit in front of the computer and open the pantry door. Thank you.

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by gray.fullbuster View Post
    There's been a position as a volunteer "waste handler" I've had my eye on for a while now. You convinced me to send an email and ask for it. It probably will help me get a job sooner or later. In the meantime I'll at least have more to do than sit in front of the computer and open the pantry door. Thank you.

cool, I hope it goes well and good luck with the job hunt mate

Combat Soldier

Add more detail to what you did JB HiFi, list everything in bullet form.

I wouldn't say you didn't like the course at Uni, say something else. When I see that I think "Oh he quit the course because he didn't like it, what if he doesn't like the job after a few weeks, he'll probably quit"

I'm sure that is not your intention, but it reads like that.

Conscript

I'm in the UK and theirs no jobs here. sad state really

Got a call from a supermarket about 10 minutes ago. Job interview Thursday. FUCK YEAH.

Milk Bar ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    If you could have afforded it, i would have said to stay in school.

One of the biggest regrets I have was not being able to finish school 5 years ago. But there were a lot of things that happened that were out of my control. Life.

I got a call earlier today from a shopping center cafe and I have another interview tomorrow. I submitted my resume there on my way home thinking "yeah why not?" Somehow things have gone from horrible to looking hopeful. Maybe God helped me and I suppose luck plays it's role too. I don't know if I have work yet though, I won't find out my results from my supermarket interview until next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by graciano1337 View Post
    If you could have afforded it, i would have said to stay in school. One of the biggest regrets I have was not being able to finish school 5 years ago. But there were a lot of things that happened that were out of my control. Life.
    I might go back to uni next year. I never actually cancelled my course, only moved that start date to next year. I probably will cancel though. Reality is I don't like uni and if I can get by without it I won't go. I'm looking more into hospitality at the moment because I like cooking a lot. Things can change though.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Maybe God helped me and I suppose luck plays it's role too.
    Don't put it down to a miracle, higher power or luck. You worked hard and you got it, now maintain that level and you will surely make it.

[11-05, 20:14] amiga1200: it's fols like YOU that make me empathise with BOMBERS!

[11-05, 20:12] amiga1200:
    @ CUNTIST, i mean cyantist. aren't you on my shitlist? why are you quoting my responses? i'm not getting sucked into your englishness, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyantist View Post
    Don't put it down to a miracle, higher power or luck. You worked hard and you got it, now maintain that level and you will surely make it.
    I'm not going to start a religious debate here, but I believe in God end of story. Though, as you can probably tell I'm not the most pious person out there.

Site Supporter 2014 Foot Soldier

Where are you geographically gray?

I live in the inner suburbs of Victoria, Australia. I won't give any more specific information than that.

Foot Soldier

I might go back to uni next year. I never actually cancelled my course, only moved that start date to next year. I probably will cancel though. Reality is I don't like uni and if I can get by without it I won't go. I'm looking more into hospitality at the moment because I like cooking a lot. Things can change though.
    What course are you doing? maybe you could switch to something you enjoy more?

I was in a similar situation to you a couple of years ago, i went to Uni and really didnt enjoy the course what so ever. I eventually quit and had trouble finding a job. Eventually i got one working in a factory for 9 hours a day building PC's, it was depressing to sum it up. I then got another job working in an office which was crap too in all honesty.

I decided i should go back to uni, so i did, re enrolled on a different course at a different uni and loved it. They were some great people on my course this time and i enjoyed the work a lot more, despite finding a lot of it stupidly hard. I was determined to pass this time and i stuck at it. I graduated with some pretty good results at the end of it, which i never thought i was capable of doing.

Of course you can get by without Uni, just be sure its what you want. Getting a job these days is hard with our without a degree. I think i would have regretted not going back and giving it a good go later in life though.