Thread: Preserving a new SNES/SFC

Foot Soldier

Sfc 3 Preserving a new SNES/SFC

I have a couple of yellow SNES consoles at home, one I bought when the system came out, the other one I picked up cheap to perform the 50/60hz and region mods on. I'm seeing some SNES consoles for sale, which are mint/new, and haven't turned yellow (yet). If a SNES hasn't turned yellow yet, can I assume that it will stay grey when preserved in box? I remember somebody posting in a thread that he had 2 systems he preserved, but only one turned yellow. I don't feel like messing around with retro-brite and such.

Member of The Cult Of Kefka Staff

ASSEMbler Soldier

Blog Entries
    it should stay grey for very long. it was some of nintendo's plastic batch being awfully cheap... if you have a good batch you should be safe for very long. also being boxed it'll sit in the dark, a very convenient thing to avoid "yellowing".
    I'll create a monument to non-existance! Kefka, FFVI

"there is no dark side of the Moon really... as a matter of fact it's all dark" (words hidden in pink floyd's "Eclipse" song )

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Its nothing to do with the plastic "being cheap" it was the use of bromine as a flame retardant and used to be common practice. Most things from that era will go yellow.

The bromine reacts in oxygen (and sped up by UV) and turns yellow.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Ultra+Violet+Energy

Nintendo later stopped using bromine as far as I know - which is why you see some consoles with parts that are yellow and others that arent - a mix of the early and later plastics.
    Last edited by Bad_Ad84; 04-24-2012 at 06:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nameless staff member that edited my sig
    It's not cool to make fun or troll users by quoting their mistakes.
    - staff confirmation.

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

XBOX, 360, One, Chihiro Moderator ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
    Its nothing to do with the plastic "being cheap" it was the use of bromine as a flame retardant and used to be common practice. Most things from that era will go yellow.

Nintendo later stopped using bromine as far as I know - which is why you see some consoles with parts that are yellow and others that arent - a mix of the early and later plastics.
    Now that would explain why my controller ports are yellow only....
    XBOX Games: 154/993 | XBOX V1.2, Xectuer X3, 80GB, GDR8050L, Blue ROL+USB1.1
    XBOX Limited Edition Consoles: 5/22 | XBOX 360 Pro Matte Black Jasper v2, Xecuter Coolrunner, 500GB, 10th Anniversary DOAX2 Faceplate
    XBOX MS Equipment: 3/XX "You're a lot more serious now, than you were on the job!" - Mei (Double-S.T.E.A.L The Second Clash)

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post

Unfortunately it is possible to get yellowing on SNES's which is not bromine/UV related. Easy way to tell is to look inside the case and you'll see the yellowing/discolouration is quite uniform. I sadly have two which have dramatically yellowed outside and inside and Retr0bright does not touch them.

On the other hand I have successfully used Retr0bright on a SNES pad with great results!

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Yellowing from bromine to due to reaction with oxygen, not UV.

UV just speeds it along
    Quote Originally Posted by nameless staff member that edited my sig
    It's not cool to make fun or troll users by quoting their mistakes.
    - staff confirmation.

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Blog Entries
    Might be able to seal the plastic from oxygen but I have no idea what it would be or how well it would work. If it hasn't yellowed by now it probably won't.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

I've always thought it'd be a good idea to seal my SNES in a vacuum bag as its in perfect condition with no yellowing. I'd hate to open the box one day and find it all jaundiced.

Combat Soldier

Any way of getting a mold made up maybe with out flame retardant and bam case shell replacements for super famicom and usa super nintendo and make new shells.

"Moving in Stereo" ASSEMbler Hardcore

Well you could try 3d printing but I bet it would be expensive.
    You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.

Do as I say,not as I do. - your pal Y
    ahweh