Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still play their Gamecube (not Wii) console anymore?

SNES4LIFE Member Elite

I always wondered.... How is Viewtiful Joe 2 compared to the first one?

I thought the GC had a good amount of sweet games, not to mention my favorite Metal Gear game, Twin Snakes.

Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, and the last good (console) Mario Kart, just to name a few... =]

Despite the cool games, I will say this. I think official Gamecube controllers are awful... Even though the Wavebird does come in with the save, as it is quality with its great battery life and feel.
    Last edited by CrAzY; 04-16-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Saturn > PS1+N64
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrAzY View Post
    I always wondered.... How is Viewtiful Joe 2 compared to the first one?
    It's good, but not nearly as good as the first one, because the level design isn't as good (too many cheap shots from things thrown by enemies you can't see, for example) and the whole character switching mechanic is pointless, because you'll only use Silvia when the game forces you to use her replay power.

Conscript

Play my cube all the time, got it hooked up to my 42" LED and it looks amazing through component. Seriously F Zero GX and the Metroid games in particular look like they could be current generation. I'm looking at getting a Wii so I can play Skyward Sword but will probably keep the GC hooked up anyway, in my opinion it's probably the coolest looking console ever released (hardware wise.)

Out of interest, is there anyone out there who plays their GC on a big modern TV through component that also has a Wii with component hooked up to the same TV? How do they compare if you're playing the same GC game?

Combat Soldier

I would use my GC over my Wii personally, for no other reason than i've thought they looked cool

Combat Soldier

I have a friend who refuses to buy anything from the current gen and has a massive stack of like 250 gamecube games, I also tend to use my gamecube instead of my wii, why wear out the laser on my wii when I can pick up like 4 gamecubes for the price of a single wii.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

You can pick up a new dvd unit for the Wii for like 9

Not completely valid comparison :P
    Your comments are noted. Nothing will change. Thanks for your continued support!

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Nah. Ever since I got the Wii, I play my game cube games on that.

Foot Soldier

I don't have a GameCube permanently hooked up anymore, but still got two of them kicking around (one PAL, one NTSC-U system) and still do get them out from time to time. I mean, I can play all my GCN games on the Wii, but... there's just something about those Cubes, you know :P
    cu xdaniel

Nanami - Desktop:

Kazari - Notebook:

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Ad84 View Post
    You can pick up a new dvd unit for the Wii for like 9

Not completely valid comparison :P
    I did not realise that lol

What can I say then I just love ma gamecube
    Last edited by Hedgeyourbets; 04-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGrafx View Post
    Why am I even here? Because I like gaming, plain and simple. That doesn't mean I have to like every single console though.

However, the GC was a lame console back in 2001. And it hasn't held up 10+ years on either.
    I'd hazard a guess and say that the majority of you in this thread probably hated on the GC back in 2001, content with your PS2 systems. Now suddenly it's 'cool' again. Sort of like the DC and the PC Engine before it.
    Yeah, that's why I got the Gamecube when it originally came out in the states.. The next console I got was the Xbox, and by the time I actually had a PS2, the 360 and such was out.. So no, it's not that it's "suddenly cool again," it's that I actually enjoy the console.
    I come off as an arrogant jerk sometimes, feel free to bring me back down to level when that happens; however, it's not intentional most of the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Consoles: Sega Genesis | Nintendo 64 | Nintendo Gamecube | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Nintendo Wii | Sony PSP | Sony PS2 | Sony PS3 | Microsoft Xbox | Microsoft Xbox 360
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foot Soldier

My GameCube is still hooked up and has been since i got it in 2002, i dont however use the actual console much anymore.

The reason for this is that I emulate my favorite GameCube games, Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bro's look fantastic rendered in 1080p with 8x AA! See: http://i41.tinypic.com/2zz72gw.png

I know ill upset a few people by saying this, however I personally think emulation is better than the real thing for a lot of games when it comes to the GameCube. I'll still never get rid of my GameCube though, had some awesome times playing 4 player Mario Kart and Smash Bro's.
    Last edited by InsaneNutter; 04-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Combat Soldier

Emulation is better than real thing allright but some games are still unplayable, have serious errors or just too slow.
    For picture quality, yeah, Soul Calibur II looks better than many PS3/X360 Games in 2048x1536 8xAA 16xAF 4xIR. low res 2D games look better on TV though. Same for F-Zero GX but it's unstable with dual core enabled atm.

To play GCN games? Nope. To play Gameboy Advance games on my TV using my Hori GB Player controller? Absolutely. My GCN became a Gameboy Advance console years ago, and is still used as such. I'll never get rid of my GCN thanks to my GB Player.

Foot Soldier

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGrafx View Post
    Why am I even here? Because I like gaming, plain and simple. That doesn't mean I have to like every single console though.

However, the GC was a lame console back in 2001. And it hasn't held up 10+ years on either.
    I'd hazard a guess and say that the majority of you in this thread probably hated on the GC back in 2001, content with your PS2 systems. Now suddenly it's 'cool' again. Sort of like the DC and the PC Engine before it.
    I had a PS2, but thats only because I was like 6 in 2000 and didn't know what the difference was.
    The point is, by bagging on a console just because it doesn't have online functionality you are effectively bagging on 90% of the on-topic conversation here, as most of it is about consoles that did not support online gameplay. This shallow viewpoint annoys me.
    DU HAST MEIN TESTIKEL GESTOHLEN!

You were 6 when the PS2 was released?

I suddenly feel so very old...

Never owned a Wii. Or a PS2.

I have a Gamecube and I still play it.

that's why i'm here. Foot Soldier

Well, for my part, I still own a GameCube. I play GameCube games on the Wii though, cause my Wii's modded, and not my Gamecube... I'm playing mostly imported Gamecube games lately (I'm in Europe and I got many US games three months ago).

I still play my old consoles though. I played some games on SNES last week however. No doubt my GameCube will still be used. I Still use my PSone while I've got both PS2 and PS3,after all !
    Last edited by jccochez; 04-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Foot Soldier

People already mentioned emulation, that's what I do with most of my GC games. I don't own that GC digital cable, so the standard AV output looks really bad on my screen. One thing that motivates me though is the joypad. Nothing compares gaming with the real joystick. That made me finish a few games on console last months.

The only game I have EVER bothered playing on my Wii was Paper Mario. Pretty much because I wasn't worried about graphics. But when I am up for some good looking Mario Kart, I just play it on Dolphin (wiimote support ftw).

The only thing my Gamecube gets used for is the Game Boy Player, I have a few other games for it but haven't touched them in ages. I use a RetroPort adapter to play with a SNES controller because I can't stand the normal Gamecube ones.
    Last edited by Shulamana; 04-17-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Milk Bar ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Wii for me. I no longer own the GameCube. The only game I play is Melee.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast