Thread: Everdrive Question

Everdrive Question

Is it possible to read the memory of the game that is currently being played on the n64 via USB?

Basically, I made a stats tracking program for SSB64 which reads the memory of the emulator running and I want to do the same thing with a physical n64.
    Is this something which is even possible with Everdrive? It can be done with a gameshark, but its really, really slow (parallel port) and buggy.

Thanks!

Insane redneck retro gamer... ASSEMbler Elite

Blog Entries
    It should be possible with the right coding. The USB serial connection will be way faster than the parallel port of older game shark like devices. I would be interested in this since I will be starting computer programming in college soon. My Everdrive 64 has the USB port on it too. Would like to put my skills I'll be learning soon to use either making a new game or porting one for N64. Any way this is possible KRIKzz? I think it would be with the right coding for communication.
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    What ever you do, DON'T CLICK HERE!!!
    I'm now on Sega-16

Member Elite

usb port controlled by cpu of n64, so game should have a piece of code which will send data to pc.
    I looking for genesis 2 with motherboard VA2

But can this be accomplished with an official game, like SSB64 or GoldenEye?

Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by toazron1 View Post
    But can this be accomplished with an official game, like SSB64 or GoldenEye?
    no, in case in game was not modified. somebody should send the data to usb port, if not the game itself, then who ? (:

Quote Originally Posted by KRIKzz View Post
    no, in case in game was not modified. somebody should send the data to usb port, if not the game itself, then who ? (:
    So it is not possible to read the memory of a rom installed on an ED64 from the computer?
    How does the gameshark manage to do it?

Member Elite

i don't know how gameshark works. probably it modify some code while startup, i guess that all games which use libultra have a predictable structure

Insane redneck retro gamer... ASSEMbler Elite

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KRIKzz View Post
    i don't know how gameshark works. probably it modify some code while startup, i guess that all games which use libultra have a predictable structure
    Perhaps someone with the hardware could analyse the Gameshark to see how it works and reverse engineer it to work on the serial USB in the ED64?
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    What ever you do, DON'T CLICK HERE!!!
    I'm now on Sega-16