Thread: Cheapest way to component to svideo?

Foot Soldier

Cheapest way to component to svideo?

I have black european Wii and it doesnt output svideo (dam Nintendo) so the only way to get svideo is converting from component cable (i could use the rca stuff but i dont like the noise on colors and strange stuff)

What is the cheapest (less than 15$) way to convert from component to svideo? (I already have the componen cable). I guess there are stuff vgabox-like (but with svideo) but i guess they are above 20$-30$

I've seen this but im not really sure if it does the work

www.ebay.com/itm/120885100301

Thanks!
    Last edited by stranno; 04-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.

ASSEMbler Elite

Do you have a scart tv? rgb could be one option.

You could buy something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-S.../dp/B000V5X22C
    Then you don't need to deal with any more cables :)

Side note: I just purchased one of these
    TV RCA AV S-video In to PC VGA LCD CRT Out Converter Adapter Switch Box Black so I could hook my n64 into my LCD monitor and it works great. It might be something you want to look into if the top option fails to meet your requirements.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    Do you have a scart tv? rgb could be one option.
    Its for non-hdmi/component capture device with svideo input

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by toazron1 View Post
    You could buy something like this http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-S.../dp/B000V5X22C
    Then you don't need to deal with any more cables :)

Side note: I just purchased one of these
    TV RCA AV S-video In to PC VGA LCD CRT Out Converter Adapter Switch Box Black so I could hook my n64 into my LCD monitor and it works great. It might be something you want to look into if the top option fails to meet your requirements.
    Already have but PAL Wii doesnt output svideo :S, only component and composite
    Last edited by stranno; 04-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.

I didn't realize there was a difference in output between NTSC (Which I have) and PAL, sorry!

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by toazron1 View Post
    I didn't realize there was a difference in output between NTSC (Which I have) and PAL, sorry!
    NP. Yeah, it seems that they drop the svideo output in order to make it cheaper but ... i dont really know if it was xD

ASSEMbler Elite

Wii inherited this change directly from Gamecube.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Component's Y signal is directly compatible with S-video's Y assuming a 480i/576i signal, but if you want color there isn't a cheap way to convert component to S-video despite component being more or less the encoding step above it. Basically the solution would be to go "back" (some hardware skips RGB entirely) to RGB, then encode it into S-video using a cheap RGB encoder chip. Why? Because encoding chroma requires a quadrature amplitude modulator and heavy filtering amongst other things that are non-trivial.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Calpis View Post
    Component's Y signal is directly compatible with S-video's Y assuming a 480i/576i signal, but if you want color there isn't a cheap way to convert component to S-video despite component being more or less the encoding step above it. Basically the solution would be to go "back" (some hardware skips RGB entirely) to RGB, then encode it into S-video using a cheap RGB encoder chip. Why? Because encoding chroma requires a quadrature amplitude modulator and heavy filtering amongst other things that are non-trivial.
    I see. Thanks for the information

I guess i will buy the EzCap Pro 148, its the cheapest component capture device