Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about finally making that Blu Ray Jump

Milk Bar ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GodofHardcore View Post
    Amazon is taking their sweet ass time shipping the Player, power strip and movies out. figures I need Goodfellas for a paper I'm writing and they're taking their sweet ass time shipping it out.

Good thing I had a backup plan....

Goodfellas is a great movie.

"How do I look ma?"

"You look like a gangster!"

Cracks me up every time....

One reason I haven't made the jump yet is because I don't have an HDTV. I currently live with my aunt and uncle and i'm supposed to be saving money for school. So if I came home with a flatscreen... They wouldn't be very happy...

Conscript

Go for it, brother! It's to the point that you can find a good Blu-Ray player for only $80 if you know where to look. I have three here in my house: A Sony Blu Ray 3D Player(non PS3), a Sharp one, and a Buffalo external Blu Ray recorder. I have a small collection of Blu-Rays and I'd say by far, the best ones I have are the Blade Runner 5-Disc Edition(which you can EASILY find for $20 if you're not looking for the Limited Edition), Goodfellas, and the Disney Blu-Rays, namely the two Tron flicks. The Star Wars one is a little of a miss, but it's still good to see it in HD. I wish they would've added the trailers though. It's STILL a great buy as the set included the Making of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back and to find it on Laserdisc or VHS costs and arm and a leg. For the price you'd pay for the original copy of that, you're better off buying the Blu-Ray version with all six films included.

Blu-Ray IS a good choice and to be honest, I don't even buy DVD's anymore. The only time I do are for old grindhouse flicks that will never get a Blu-Ray release(like Axe, Boss Nigger, Abby, Deranged, or etc) I'm only buying one this year and that's because it's not going to be on Blu-Ray: No Holds Barred!
    Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 04-17-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

I have the Indiana Jones bluray box set on order from Amazon US. As far as I know it's still not released but they sent me a mail saying they are sending out stock soon. ????

Also just ordered the Blade Runner Final Cut on Blu-Ray. I already have the big 5 disc DVD box set so this time I don't need all the other discs plus the Final Cut is better quality than the 5 disc Blu-Ray version. Unlike most Blu-Ray discs though the US version cost more than the Japanese version at $34.96 while the Japanese version in a better case was only $18. So this will be my first Japanese Blu-Ray disc.

Yakumo
    Last edited by Yakumo; 04-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    The Star Wars one is a little of a miss, but it's still good to see it in HD. I wish they would've added the trailers though. It's STILL a great buy as the set included the Making of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back and to find it on Laserdisc or VHS costs and arm and a leg.
    The Star Wars Blu-rays don't contain the original theatrical versions, do they? I have the Special Edition DVDs that have the theatrical versions, so I'd rather watch that than the newer versions on the Blu-rays. I've heard they also changed a lot of other stupid stuff, like making Vader say, "Nooooooo...!!" when he throws Palpatine over the ledge. That makes me not want to go anywhere near those versions.

I'm looking forward to the Jaws Blu-ray, which I believe is supposed to be released later this year. I've also been wanting to get the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray. It's pretty cheap now, I've just had other stuff I wanted to get.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 04-18-2012 at 12:04 AM.

STAAAAAAR POWERRRR! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo View Post
    that is Ghostbusters 1. Ghostbusters 2 isn't on BluRay.

Basically any dark or even darkish area on the BluRay of Ghostbusters looks like shit. I'll gladly do a DVD VS BluRay screen shot comparison to show people.
    Don't they test this shit before the sell them? Where is the quality control these days?

Saturn > PS1+N64
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Blog Entries
    I've wanted the 5-disc Blade Runner ever since they announced it was coming out. Did they ever even release the Blu-Ray version in Europe? I've only seen the DVD 5-disc version.

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by la-li-lu-le-lo View Post
    The Star Wars Blu-rays don't contain the original theatrical versions, do they? I have the Special Edition DVDs that have the theatrical versions, so I'd rather watch that than the newer versions on the Blu-rays. I've heard they also changed a lot of other stupid stuff, like making Vader say, "Nooooooo...!!" when he throws Palpatine over the ledge. That makes me not want to go anywhere near those versions.

I'm looking forward to the Jaws Blu-ray, which I believe is supposed to be released later this year. I've also been wanting to get the 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray. It's pretty cheap now, I've just had other stuff I wanted to get.
    Nope. Special Editions. That's why I hung on to my 1995 Laserdiscs of the Trilogy.
    Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 04-18-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Panasonic make the best cheap(ish) players, followed by Sony. If you buy cheap, it won't do 3D.

The DMP-BDT210 is a cracking player for the money. It's basically a cut-down DMP-BDT310. It's available for 130, vs. 200 for the 310 (coming down, sometimes 170). I see Best Buy do the 310 for $210 and a 220 (similar to the 210?) for under $150.

Personally, I wouldn't touch LG Blu Ray - they're pretty poor, especially the cheaper ones. The same goes for cheaper Samsungs. Pioneer make some nice higher end players. However, in the cheaper range, I'd definitely go for a Panasonic... or suck up your pride and get a Sony - they're decent players.
    Neo-geo.com - fuelling Dion's ego for the past 10 years!

I post here on the toilet sometimes. ASSEMbler Soldier

that is Ghostbusters 1. Ghostbusters 2 isn't on BluRay.

Basically any dark or even darkish area on the BluRay of Ghostbusters looks like shit. I'll gladly do a DVD VS BluRay screen shot comparison to show people.
    http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentr...id_compare.htm

Already done. Compares the 1999 DVD, 2005 DVD, and the Bluray.

Now, is there more grain? Yes.

Is there also more DETAIL? yes.

If you look - the 1999 DVD also has a fair amount of grain. Depending on your DVD player/TV/Bluray player it might not be as noticeable.

Compare the 4th screen shot - compare the detail seen on the coats.

The 5th screen shot the bluray shows more of the brick's texture.

The 6th screen shot - the speaker vent on the tv is clearly seen - a blur on both DVDs. As are the scan lines from the actual CRT - visible on the bluray, not on the DVD.

The next screen shot - look at the shadowing on the flight suits.

The shot of slimer being captured via the Proton streams? Look - you can see the detailing of the model much more.

The next shot shows the branches of the trees.

Spookcentral also shows a spot where the chromakey wasn't done perfectly and some buildings are obstructed by the background - but their outline is clearly visible. Something not visible on standard definition.

Now, is the BD perfect? Hell no. Is it better than the 2005 DVD? YES. Is it better than the original DVD? In some regards!

I recently saw Ghostbusters on an actual film print at an indie theater. Was it grainy? Yeah. But if you look at the original DVD - so was that.

The inconstant film work has caused great debate within the Ghostbuster fan community - the flight suits. In Ghostbusters 1 some shots they look gray, some look khaki. In Ghostbusters 2 they're obviously khaki. Their belts are also up for debate - some shots they're khaki some shots they're gray. It wasn't until screen used suits were auctioned did the community agree - they're khaki.

This goes back to the VHS, and Laserdisc (even the criteron collection).

In closing - Ghostbusters a favorite film of mine, and one that was filmed with shit lighting and cheap film. The Bluray transfer just brings the original print's flaws to life.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

good link you posted there XxHennersXx. I've never really noticed the DVD to be grainy. I'll have to watch it on my BluRay player now to see. I wonder if they'll ever make a cleaned up release ?
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

Saturn > PS1+N64
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Blog Entries
    You can't really see the grain in still shots. Yes, it has more detail but it's way grainier than a Blu-Ray should be.

Member Hardcore

Based on the images in the comparison, the 2005 DVD is sh*t! All pictures look blurry and the thing they did in picture 11 is unfogivable...
    Also, not sure if it was intentional, but I somehow like the darker look of the 1999 version...
    Last edited by pool7; 04-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld
    Quote Originally Posted by graciano1337 View Post
    Goodfellas is a great movie.

"How do I look ma?"

"You look like a gangster!"

Cracks me up every time....

One reason I haven't made the jump yet is because I don't have an HDTV. I currently live with my aunt and uncle and i'm supposed to be saving money for school. So if I came home with a flatscreen... They wouldn't be very happy...
    " Tomorrow we have Sangwitches we gotta go on a diet"
    http://retrocadefantasia.blogspot.com

Retrocade has it's own hub now!

I post here on the toilet sometimes. ASSEMbler Soldier

good link you posted there XxHennersXx. I've never really noticed the DVD to be grainy. I'll have to watch it on my BluRay player now to see. I wonder if they'll ever make a cleaned up release ?
    Doubtful. Like I said, I saw it on a film print a year or so ago, and it was grainy. They used really crap film to make the movie, hence why colors on the costumes vary from shot to shot.

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld
    Ghostbusters 3 is in the pipeline, it's possible

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Last I read, Ghostbusters 3 is not happening again due to Bill Murry who can't make up his mind whether he's in or out. I pray to God that it does happen and that it's not some stupid kiddy movie full of modern Dubstep shite. The idea of new Ghostbusters doesn't sit well with me either, especially a woman one. I have nothing against women in a leading role but you just know they'll make her some sort of sassy bitch. That would not sit well in the world of Ghostbusters.

Yakumo
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

Combat Soldier

Yakumo your jaw will drop with Blade Runner on Blu-ray it's AWESOME ! I grabbed the boxed Blu-ray set when it came out.

Star Wars looks so-so because it's the old 2k master from HD-DVD days

What's interesting about it on blu-ray is that a lot of the rumours i heard that were going happen didn't, changing all the Stormtroopers voices to Temura Morrison etc... they are the special editons for the most part, with some tweaks. The fixed the audio from the DVD release that was wrong and cleaned up the colour correction.

Ghostbusters 2 is coming on Blu-ray give a few months although why anyone would want that piece of crap is beyond me, less said about Ghostbusters 3 the better, just leave it alone. The first one is a classic and still makes me laugh to this day.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

You're right about Blade Runner on BluRay. I watched it last night in the dark with the 5.1 cranked up. Man, it's hard to beleive that movie is from the mid 80's. It looks so modern and a hell of a lot better than most of the CGI shit we get now. Sometimes I think the invention of CGI has made movies look worse. There's no WOW factor these days.

Yakumo
    TWITTER @RetroCoreYakumo

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    I'm only buying one this year and that's because it's not going to be on Blu-Ray: No Holds Barred!
    What's that in your pants?

Dookie

DOOKIE?

Hulk Hogan is best when he's playing Hulk Hogan

Combat Soldier

You're right about Blade Runner on BluRay. I watched it last night in the dark with the 5.1 cranked up. Man, it's hard to beleive that movie is from the mid 80's. It looks so modern and a hell of a lot better than most of the CGI shit we get now. Sometimes I think the invention of CGI has made movies look worse. There's no WOW factor these days.

Yakumo

That's cause it's flat not an actual model that reacts to light, all CGI lighting is fake so people go overboard doing things that just aren't "real".

But if you want impressive look at the movies released in 1982 same year as Blade Runner here

Lighting in Blade Runner is a major factor in it's presentation

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast