Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Wii U, its the new _____________

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

If you can't tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray, you're either blind or watching a very small TV from far away.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 04-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by la-li-lu-le-lo View Post
    If you can't tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-ray, you're either blind or watching a very small TV from far away.
    Or are satisfied watching netflix on a wii vs practically anything thing else anywhere.

Be Attitude For Gains Member Elite

Quote Originally Posted by GodofHardcore View Post
    Bear in my mind my man that I still want to invest in a Laser disc player

I think DVD will still be around in a few years time def when HVD hits.
    I don't know though. I'll upgrade when I'm forced to.

I have to agree with this. I don't see DVD going anywhere anytime soon.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

DVD is so cheap and adequate for movies it won't be going away soon. And Blu-ray also I don't think will go away as they won the HD market from HD-DVD and there really is a difference between Blu-ray and DVD. For those seeking higher quality they will get Blu-ray. For those that don't see the difference (how can you not?) they will stick with the cheaper DVD.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in the WiiU. I'm tired of Nintendo's crazy ideas. Here is a crazy idea for you, make a game console and produce good games for it! I don't need crazy gimmicks.

Foot Soldier

Nintendo just wants to avoid paying royalties to the disc consortiums.

-adrianc

Quote Originally Posted by adrianc View Post

-adrianc
    i already pointed that out.
    Thank you though.

That is not really the argument.
    For the record, microsoft did not want to pay the cost either and the xbox 1 suffered for it.
    The remote control you would buy for the system to play dvd's was basically purchasing the codec needed to get dvd's decoded.

Saturn > PS1+N64
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    The quality ultimately depends on the age of the movie, the original master, the restoration process and your equipment.
    Old movies on BluRay are usually not that impressive compared to the upscaled DVD version. But if you watch something like Avatar in 1080p it's like night and day compared to the, yet very good, DVD version.
    Even in older movies you can clearly see the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, I'd bet most people who say you can't haven't ever actually watched a Blu-Ray movie. I do watch some stuff on DVDs that's not on Blu-Ray (like TV shows that weren't filmed in HD), and there's a world of difference between upscaled DVD and Blu-Ray.
    Last edited by 7Force; 04-10-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Wants to battle! Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Blog Entries
    I never used to notice the difference of DVD and Blu-ray, but once I started watching blu-ray on my HD TV I noticed.

So there is a very big difference between them, depend on the film and you can clearly see if you watch Anime.

Another interesting thing for Nintendo do to would be to make double-sided, dual layer DVDs for the WiiU, buuuut I'm thinking that would be expensive...

Possibly silly question but; An interesting BD I found on Wiki, those BDXL discs, are they used for a game yet?
    Last edited by HEX1GON; 04-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld

-adrianc
    Nintendo is on the HVD Consortium! If Nintendo doesn't fuck up royally with the Wii U the system after the Wii U will probably use HVD and be the first to do so.
    http://retrocadefantasia.blogspot.com

Retrocade has it's own hub now!

Quote Originally Posted by HeXiGON View Post
    I never used to notice the difference of DVD and Blu-ray, but once I started watching blu-ray on my HD TV I noticed.

So there is a very big difference between them, depend on the film and you can clearly see if you watch Anime.

Another interesting thing for Nintendo do to would be to make double-sided, dual layer DVDs for the WiiU, buuuut I'm thinking that would be expensive...

Possibly silly question but; An interesting BD I found on Wiki, those BDXL discs, are they used for a game yet?
    nintendo always used the argument of durability when defending their argument against optical media.
    Load times were also a factor, but seeing as the entire world us now used to seeing the word "loading" everywhere from the internet to the game console, then I suspect that they would still argue durability vs anything else.

Member Hardcore

Didn't nintendo say they were going to use "Nintendo Proprietary 25GB Discs"? I have a hard time believeing they'll implement HVD. Seriously, it's in the early stages. Also, Nintendo isn't really all about the latest disc technology. I could see Sony using HVD, but Nintendo? No way. Still, interesting to see that they're on the HVD Consortium. Prove me wrong, Nintendo...

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld
    Maybe the Wii U discs will implement some of the established Tech for HVD?
    I'm going to wait though. Nintendo let me down before they'll do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DefectX11 View Post
    Didn't nintendo say they were going to use "Nintendo Proprietary 25GB Discs"? I have a hard time believeing they'll implement HVD. Seriously, it's in the early stages. Also, Nintendo isn't really all about the latest disc technology. I could see Sony using HVD, but Nintendo? No way. Still, interesting to see that they're on the HVD Consortium. Prove me wrong, Nintendo...
    i cannot find the article, but the main reason (possibly the only one) that nintendo is there is because about ten years ago they entered into an agreement with a different company who failed to raise $10,000,000 to keep operating, and had nintendo split some investments and patents with them, so nintendo at one time had been working with this company to get HVD tech further in development.

Could you imagine what sort of game would fit on 6TB? i mean... how big was uncharted before compression? 24TB?

cant post images for some reason, but here is a screenshot tweeted from naughty dog
    http://a.yfrog.com/img739/4184/yizmkw.jpg

Combat Soldier

Nintendo seems to be stuck in this gimmick mode. Instead of using state of the art technology, they find some area that is extremely unique and that other companies haven't or won't implement (motion control, 3D, a controller ipad thing). They release it, people buy, but theres always a feeling amongst developers that a console to really push the boundries exists on other platforms. Nintendo is almost going the way of those Tiger LCD games you find at the toy store. Good for the masses and kids but just a novelty really.

What I don't understand is the cutting costs part. They are making so much money with the 3ds right now, why not create a state of the art console with no gimmick and just for pure gameplay. The SNES and N64 fans will all herald it as the return of a great company. Instead they use cheap hardware which will be out of date within only a few years (if not within a year of release) and hope the gimmick they come up with works.

Foot Soldier

By the time HVD is even viable digital downloads are going to be the mainstream. (they pretty much already are).

Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot 10 years ahead of time.

-adrianc

I post here on the toilet sometimes.
    Tribuni Angusticlavii

The conversation in this thread has me shaking my head.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Force View Post
    Even in older movies you can clearly see the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD, I'd bet most people who say you can't haven't ever actually watched a Blu-Ray movie. I do watch some stuff on DVDs that's not on Blu-Ray (like TV shows that weren't filmed in HD), and there's a world of difference between upscaled DVD and Blu-Ray.
    When I worked at Best Buy, we literally had a Blu Ray player hooked up to two identical TVs - one with HDMI one with composite. The Bluray player doing all the scaling made it look like pure shit.

And no joke, a ton of people could not see the fucking difference. Mostly women.
    Last edited by XxHennersXx; 04-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    The conversation in this thread has me shaking my head.

When I worked at Best Buy, we literally had a Blu Ray player hooked up to two identical TVs - one with HDMI one with composite. The Bluray player doing all the scaling made it look like pure shit.

And no joke, a ton of people could not see the fucking difference. Mostly women.
    what i have learned by being in a management position in the workplace:

more people than you would know have terrible eyesight.

ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE

By the time HVD is even viable digital downloads are going to be the mainstream. (they pretty much already are).

Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot 10 years ahead of time.

-adrianc
    not until we upgrade our internet infrastructure. Amazing how many people forget how much of this country is still on dial up

Foot Soldier

I like the ipad control thingy. I think it's badass. I just don't want them to rely on that selling the console. The wii was released about a year after the 360 and the 360 still had more power. I would gladly pay 100-200 more dollars for a console with state of the art hardware. Nintendo needs to make a real gaming controller, and fix their online set-up. Xbox live has the best online....why? because you have to pay for it. I've always picked Nintendo over everything else, but if the Wii-U doesn't kick the shit out of the 360 or Ps3 in terms of graphics. I'm going to buy the new xbox.
    Last edited by ma777; 04-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ma777 View Post
    I like the ipad control thingy. I think it's badass. I just don't want them to rely on that selling the console. The wii was released about a year after the 360 and the 360 still had more power. I would gladly pay 100-200 more dollars for a console with state of the art hardware. Nintendo needs to make a real gaming controller, and fix their online set-up. Xbox live has the best online....why? because you have to pay for it. I've always picked Nintendo over everything else, but if the Wii-U doesn't kick the shit out of the 360 or Ps3 in terms of graphics. I'm going to buy the new xbox.
    too late, as they are basing the console on the controls.
    Additionally, the Wii was always just the gamecube inside. It made no effort to try and be anything other than a gamecube in a white shell with a motion controller.

heck, the launch game (zelda) was a gamecube game with a waggle tacked on.