Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How did the "disk to cassette" transfer option on the Super Wild Card work?

  1. #1

    Sfc 3 How did the "disk to cassette" transfer option on the Super Wild Card work?

    In the past I have had different Super Wild Card copiers, one pre-DX model and a DX. I remember both had an option to transfer data from disk (floppy) to cassette.

    Has anyone here ever used that option, and if so, what kind of cartridge did it require? Was it for use with official Nintendo development carts or did were these special carts for use with the Super Wild Card hardware? Or is this related to EPROM (don't now what it is really, just a term I find when trying to find more information about this online).

    Edit: I forgot to mention this. I once owned an empty Super Famicom cart, that was used in Japan for 'downloading' games from an in-store machine. Has anyone ever tried this type of cart with the transfer to cassette option of the Super Wild Card?
    Last edited by michielvoo; 04-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.

  2. #2
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out
    Calpis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    .ma.us
    Posts
    5,789
    They were just generic battery-backed SRAM carts. It has nothing to do with development hardware or the Nintendo Power/SF Memory Cassette hardware (which uses FlashROM).

  3. #3
    Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server
    APE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Caleefornya
    Posts
    6,016
    Blog Entries
    1
    Floppy to cassette tape. As in those things that helped kill vinyl and were killed by CD.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    Floppy to cassette tape. As in those things that helped kill vinyl and were killed by CD.
    No. In Japan cartridges were called cassettes. Cassettes were not tapes.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Calpis View Post
    They were just generic battery-backed SRAM carts. It has nothing to do with development hardware or the Nintendo Power/SF Memory Cassette hardware (which uses FlashROM).
    In the context of Super Nintendo, the term SRAM is generally used for a part of the cartridge where save games are stored. Is that what you mean? In that case, does the option to transfer data from disk to cassette mean only to transfer game saves?

    Or were blank cartridges available that could store a complete game using the same hardware that was used for save games? In that case, who provided these carts and are any pictures available of these carts? Do they ever surface on eBay or similar places? Any info would be welcome really.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    ASSEMbler Elite
    l_oliveira's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,780
    Quote Originally Posted by michielvoo View Post
    In the context of Super Nintendo, the term SRAM is generally used for a part of the cartridge where save games are stored. Is that what you mean? In that case, does the option to transfer data from disk to cassette mean only to transfer game saves?

    Or were blank cartridges available that could store a complete game using the same hardware that was used for save games? In that case, who provided these carts and are any pictures available of these carts? Do they ever surface on eBay or similar places? Any info would be welcome really.

    Thanks!
    It all depends on how the SRAM is mapped inside of the cartridge. Depending on the area it's sitting at it can be program memory or data memory. Having it battery backup-ed only means it won't get wiped out once power is removed. :)
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •