Thread: Sharp X1 TurboZ video question

Sharp X1 TurboZ video question

I have a TurboZ on it's way from Japan right now, and I am curious about one thing. I know that the X1 was originally designed to use digital RGB for it's displays. I also know that Sharp added a standard Japanese 15 pin D-sub analog RGB output to the TurboZ series. Here is my question. Is it possible to operate the TurboZ with just an analog RGB monitor. Like will the digital RGB display modes be converted to analog RGB and outputted on that connector? I have plenty of commodore monitors that support both digital and analog RGB, so it's not a problem if it doesn't, I would just like to be able to operate the computer without constantly switching video cables.
    Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Adult Orientated Mahjong Connoisseur ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

The X1 Turbo Z as far as I am aware does do the 8 colour modes on the analogue port, however you will need a 24Khz compatable monitor to do the high resolution modes and you need a monitor that has H and V sync or you might need to combine the syncs to make composite sync.

For information here are the pin outs for the 6 Pin DIN Digital and 15 Pin D Type Analogue ports

Digital

1 Gnd
    2 Red
    3 H Sync
    4 Green
    5 V Sync
    6 Blue

Analogue

1 Red
    3 Green
    5 Blue
    7 +5V
    14 H-Sync
    15 V-Sync
    8 GND
    2 GND
    4 GND
    6 GND
    12 GND
    13 GND
    Like anyone reads the rubbish in the signature.

Foot Soldier

Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    I've got a TurboZ II and none of the games I have sport any video issues on my analog RGB setup.

Member Hardcore

Off topic, but yay, another Vancouver member!

Excellent. I am very glad! I have a scan converter that does 24KHz, so that's no problem. I'm glad Sharp thought things through when they planned out the TurboZ. There are quite a few classic computers that have similar setups, the idea of moving from one display standard to another one, without passing through the video. I never understood the thinking behind that... Did they really think the majority of people would keep 2 monitors for one machine? In other news, a package from my friend in Japan arrived today. In addition to the FM-TOWNS II UR, he also sent me an excellent X1 TurboZ accessory. Drumroll please... a CZ-8RL1 Data Recorder! The kind you can hook up to the parallel port of a PC and load and save cassette software without using a sound card! It is in MINT condition. I'm hoping I can adapt the source code of the PC cassette control software to load and save cassettes from other classic systems via the parallel port. This would be a godsend. As far as I know the only other cassette data recorder you can connect to a PC in this way is a C=64 Datasette recorder, but it requires modifying the drive, whereas the CZ-8RL1 just requires a custom cable, the drive is already designed to be controlled remotely and send and receive data digitally.

EDIT: I've noticed there are a few Vancouver members around. I'm going to PM you right now DefectX11!
    Last edited by TheRogue; 04-03-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.