Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Card V2

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

Magic Card V2

I remember that we had a bit of a discussion about this over on the old board. Some people were unsure if it even excised. Well, after spending the entire evening helping my mate box up all his stock from his shop (closes this week :smt009 ) I came across this small silver box. I asked him what it was to which he replied "I don't know, do you want it?" Of course I said yes :smt045 so here it is.

I take it that this is the 2nd version of the card since it says V2 on it. I haven't had chance to check it on my Saturn but tomorrow I will. I wonder if you can boot a CDR without the disc swap in the normal manner?

If you'd like some nice sharp pictures of the board then I can take them tomorrow too.

Yakumo

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

The rumor has it that it boots CDRs, while unlikely it might be true. I'm after a cheapo one to hopefully clone ;)

Chief Chujo
    Do you mean this thread?

http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2893

The card you got is the same as mine(albeit in alot better nic). Instructions for playing are,

Boot with copy
    Swap with original when prompted and reset
    Swap the copy back in when prompted and press "start application"

Kyuusaku,
    Can you clone these things? One of the chips is buried under that black glue stuff.
    Last edited by Chief Chujo; 02-23-2005 at 01:07 PM.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Oh... thats bad :\ I only might be able to then someday, depends on which chip is under it. If the ROM is under it, that'll be slightly easier than the PLD.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM elite

Seems to me that the swap trick is easier! All that faffing around with 2 disc swaps and rebooting would put me off.

Still, a nice find. Did it not have instructions with it?

*edit* he wanted 6800 yen for it??
    Last edited by retro; 02-23-2005 at 02:13 PM.
    Neo-geo.com - fuelling Dion's ego for the past 10 years!

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Swap trick may be easier but with a Magic Card, you can do it at your leisure and you don't have to open your case (which you'll do if you're careful)

Boy it would be nice to have a Magic Card V2/Action Replay Pro/Memory Card and 1&4Mb RAM/Flashrom card all in one, someday... ;)
    Last edited by Calpis; 02-23-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM elite

Or, chip your console, leave a 4Mb card in, and don't cheat ;)

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Think of a ARP as a patching device, not just cheating, it's necessary! Also your solution doesn't think about the memory card/Kof 95/1Mb.

Greatsaintlouis
    Why is the assumption always made that shortening a console's lifespan with a modchip is a better alternative than having to swap a few discs? :smt009

AntiPasta
    I get the impression that you think modchips shorten the life span per se... which (in this case) is a bit beside the truth. You see, if (and I am not sure of that even) a console's lifespan is shortened by a modchip, it would be a drive-related issue, either wearing out the laser by using CD-R media - which ALSO happens when swapping discs - or strain on the drive mechanism - which happens MORE when swapping discs. And then there is those 3rd party cards raping the Saturn's cart slot. I think anyone who is desperate for Saturn piracy would be best off with a real modchip.

Old Type 99% ASSEMbler Soldier

Saturn System Disc does the same thing.
    It bypass the security check and stop the motor so you can put swap with CD-R of build...
    I don't think these will shorten the life of CD-ROM drive motor as I believe these use command function to stop the motor whereas normal swapping involves more strain on the drive mechanism...

from what I heard this cart was made to make the swapping easier at the beginning of Saturn life cycle before the import cart was readily available???
    ---
    dj898.egloos.com

^^
      ( ^^)
    =〔~∪ ̄ ̄〕
    = ◎――◎  

Chief Chujo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuusaku
    Oh... thats bad :\ I only might be able to then someday, depends on which chip is under it. If the ROM is under it, that'll be slightly easier than the PLD.

That's the innards. The chip with the glue is wierd. The pic is shitty so you probably can't see it but its mounted on top of something that seems to spread the pins out. So maybe you can just use those pins?
    I'll try get a better pic of it close up.

Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM elite

The large pic doesn't load for me, Chujo. Could you upload it somewhere more reliable? Perhaps even use the assembler storage ;)

If you click Go Advanced, underneath the post box in the Additional options is Attach Files - use that ;)

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

I can't tell since the pic doesn't work but neither of those chips appear to be under epoxy (the glue stuff)

Greatsaintlouis
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipasta
    I get the impression that you think modchips shorten the life span per se... which (in this case) is a bit beside the truth. You see, if (and I am not sure of that even) a console's lifespan is shortened by a modchip, it would be a drive-related issue, either wearing out the laser by using CD-R media - which ALSO happens when swapping discs - or strain on the drive mechanism - which happens MORE when swapping discs. And then there is those 3rd party cards raping the Saturn's cart slot. I think anyone who is desperate for Saturn piracy would be best off with a real modchip.
    It's not so much that I think that modchips shorten a console's lifespan as I can definately vouch for it from firsthand experience with friends who have had consoles go from completely functional to not booting ANY media in the course of a year to a year and a half - several different models of Playstation and PS2. While I'm not sure what effect, if any, newer models of CD-R have on systems - as the quality of CD-R media has been steadily increasing. I do know however, as far as PSX and PS2 modchips are concerned, the entire effect is achieved by the chip intercepting signals between the drive and the console itself. I've seen PS2s take 30 seconds to boot a freshly burned DVD - not because the DVD was bad, but because the console itself knew the media was not original yet had an additional chip forcing it to boot. The hardware is being forced into doing something that it wasn't supposed to, and while I know not what happens at the very technical level, I find little reason to believe it is not a side effect of the modchip, as opposed to laser wear by merely playing a majority of official import games and Thailand silvers.

My original point, however, was not aimed at playing pirate games, but just modchips versus other import solutions in general. I've heard people complain about the Freeloader on Gamecube, the fliptop case on the PS2, the AR 4-in-1 on the Saturn (Yes, it rapes the cart port. Do you really need to remove it unless you have Kof'95? No.) and even the Utopia/Import Enabler discs on the Dreamcast - they say swapping (and I mean the type of swapping that uses a mechanism for stopping the cd, not the scary Saturn or early PSX swapping) with boot discs is too annoying or too much work, and are willing to shell out larger sums of money for something that will eventually kill your machine faster than normal. I guess I just don't get it.
    Last edited by Greatsaintlouis; 02-24-2005 at 12:40 AM.

Old Type 99% ASSEMbler Soldier

I use the mod chip to bypass the region checking on consoles apart from Saturn and PS2. Since I never used CD-R I can't say but my consoles are still going strong after years of use with the mod chip... (I have DC, Xbox, PS1 chip'd) For PS2 I got PS2Test from Assembler as I know PS2 is prone to early death after installed the mod chip - and I wasn't going to pay someone to the installation. For Saturn since the mod chip is for playing CD-R I never bothered.

me think the combo of bad batch of consoles plus poor soldering job of chip installation has more to do with early death than anything else... that and CD-R and/or DVD-R media on the laser...
    ---
    dj898.egloos.com

^^
      ( ^^)
    =〔~∪ ̄ ̄〕
    = ◎――◎  

ASSEMbler Soldier

mod chips are bad for ps2.... if you want to play imports just get swap magic and the card, thats what i think is best :)

ASSEMbler Soldier

i use the flipt top and i must say it is a lot less hassle on booting, plus it doesnt really mess with how the ps2 reads boot code(and the fact that its a good back up in case the cd door drive goes out).

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

a GOOD modchip shouldn't cause any damage to your system. As far as I know, the major-well -recognized chips for all consoles won't do harm to the CDROM in PS2 cases. There should be absolutely no worry about PSX chips. Harm to PS2 systems is caused by either chips causing hardware conflicts, drawing too much power or by a mediocre installation. If you take 110% precautions starting with a popular chip, the system should be fine. I can say that my Playstation has been chugging along for 7 years without problems and my Saturn for 4 (until it was damaged in a move) without noticeable damage or adverse affects.

Swapping does the most harm as far as Saturn is concerned, since you're upsetting the spinny motor while it's in motion and creating extra work for the lens motor.

Moderator Staff

ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community

I tried out the Magic Card V2 today. Yes, it plays CDR games and works pretty much the same way as a disc swap. There's only a total of 2 disc changes just like doing the disc swap method so there&s no extra work. It does take longer however but saves on the drive being stressed. It won't work on my Hi-saturn though, just the Sega Saturn.

Click the thumb nail to see the big image.

The instructions in cool Engrish.

Strange looking chip covered in goop mounted on a small board

Looks like they stole this chip from another maker. It's had all it's markings sandded off.

The back of the board.

Also I must point out that isn't it very strange that my Pro Action Replay 2 and this magic card both work first time, every time I plug them in to my Saturn yet Sega7s official cartridges such as memory cards, RAM cards etc are a right bastard to get running.

Yakumo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast