Thread: Wood Supergun Enclosure & Neo Geo MVS

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Logo NeoGeo Wood Supergun Enclosure & Neo Geo MVS

My dad and I recently built a wooden enclosure for my supergun and arcade boards. I designed it and my dad helped me cut the wood and put holes in it. There are no ports on it, except for the 3 pronged power connector on the side. All other cables go out through the holes. The controllers stay inside the box, and when I want to use them I hang them on the slits in the front (which are accessible with the door open) and then close the box. There's also a small fan on the side. The supergun is a Vogatek supergun PCB. Very cheap, and quite effective if you're using an RGB monitor as I am. The RGB signal out of my MVS is just about the clearest I've ever seen.

Currently my Neo Geo MVS is inside it. I also have a Sega ST-V, and it's easy to swap them out. I really like this setup. I've had these arcade boards for a long time, but I've never been able to play them much because it's always been a pain to drag them out and connect everything. Now it stays right next to my monitor, just like all my other consoles. It's not the most beautiful enclosure ever designed, but it has a kind of minimalist look to it that I enjoy.

I may take a video, if anyone's interested in seeing one.

In the meantime, here are some pictures:

My 2 MVS games. The Blazing Star label is fake. I believe the Metal Slug label is real, but as you can see it is in pretty bad condition. The game plays great, though. One cool thing about my MVS board is that it has a stereo headphone output, which works great with my speakers.

Combat Soldier

I like it mate, simple yet effective, you could always upgrade it to a full cab later on if you have the time/money/space

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Your Supergun reminds me of mine. It's also a large wooden box with metal hinges. However I did mount external connectors. Two DB-15s for Player 1 and 2 on the front. Along with Coin, Test, and Service push buttons on the front. On the back I have the power supply with a cut out and a DB HD15 (vga style) connector for RGB output as well as like a Wall Plate where I was going to mount RCA audio jacks, Composite Video and S-video jacks before I got RGB. Right now just the RCA audio jacks are in it I think.

I planned to paint mine black, did you ever consider painting or putting decals on yours? Also what about the D button? I guess none of your games are 4 buttons yet though. By the way, consider getting one of the MVS Multi-Cart pirate carts for expanding your NeoGeo collection for cheap. Don't pass on real MVS carts but it's a great boost to your library for cheap. jammaboards.com is where I got mine. It was a great buy.

Oh and congrats on the Metal Slug cartridge. I'd love to own one someday. I own Metal Slug X and King of Fighters 99. I'd like to own Metal Slug 1 and 3 as well as KoF98 someday. But atleast with the multi cart I can play them. And also congrats on the RGB monitor. They are the only way to play classic games in my opinion.
    Last edited by MottZilla; 03-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

The Metal Slug cart was actually pretty cheap. I'm not sure why. I have considered painting it or putting some kind of decal on it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. You're right, my supergun only supports 3 buttons. Luckily, my MVS has Neo Geo controller ports on the sides. I just need to get some Neo Geo controllers, and they can be a bit pricey. I'd like to get KOF 94 or 95 - they're pretty cheap. But I need to get a Neo Geo controller first. I'm not really interested in a pirate cart: for collection purposes, and for my own personal enjoyment, I prefer to own the original versions of software and hardware.

Anyway, it's working out pretty well. I like it a lot. I'll probably get more MVS games in the near future.

Just a bit different Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Blog Entries
    Very neat job, and fits very nicely but what type of wood material did you use?

If you wondering about a paint job I think a nice glossy black finish would make it look great.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

I'm really not sure what kind of wood it is. My dad got it from Home Depot, and he doesn't know what it is. It's very thick and sturdy. Black would look good, but I have so much black stuff in my apartment, and also my car is black - it's getting to be a cliché with me. I was think maybe dark blue or dark grey.

Just a bit different Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Blog Entries
    Maybe a glossy white might look nice.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Dark Blue actually sounds interesting to me, sort of like the dark blue debug PS1s.

For NeoGeo controller, if you don't want a stick, consider getting the Tototek NeoGeo joypad converter. You can use standard PS1/2 controllers then and you get turbo fire options which could be handy for metal slug or other shooters. They aren't all that expensive.

I understand your position on the pirate multi-cart but for me personally I didn't think I'd ever be able to afford to buy all the NeoGeo games I would like to play. So it was a great deal for me, and I've only had minor problems with it. If I'd been collecting MVS games sooner perhaps I could have gotten certain games while they were alot cheaper to get.

Combat Soldier

such a pain swapping cartridges in a horizontal board.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Not really. Infact it's easier. You just hold it against the back of the enclosure and pull. Opposed to vertical where you need it secured to the base and you don't want to pull and stress the board bending it. If you bend and crack the pcb, you're really in trouble. You could also bend it and break solder joints. Vertical looks nice though. Personally I'm happy with the original 1 slot board I got ages ago for something like 50$.

らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Yeah, it's not too bad. It's harder than a normal console because it's a more snug fit, but I think that would be the same if it were vertical. The only bad thing about it being horizontal is that my supergun is slightly loose (not sure why), so sometimes when I remove the cart the supergun comes off too. It's easy to plug it back in, though.

The reason I chose the MV-1F MVS is because it's the only MVS board that has both a headphone connector and separate controller ports. It's a good board - I haven't had any problems with it so far.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 03-21-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Foot Soldier

I would give it a nice paint job and maybe mount a marquee with the current game you are playing on top. If there are holes on the board you could mount it to the bottom of the case with a few standoffs so it doesn't move when you change carts.

That's funny, I have that same Ridge Racer girl gashapon you have on your shelf.

^_^_^
    Last edited by AnalogWinter; 04-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    'If you have kids, have them start shooting hoops instead of humans.' - Jack Thompson