Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for a new Device

Nes Pad Suggestion for a new Device

Hi,

I just want to make a suggestion for a new device for KRIKzz, This may not even be possible or it may not be interesting for him, but I'm sure that if this can be done there will be a huge market for it.
    some sort of device that you connect to your NES to make the Nintendo zapper work on new tvs as far as I know the problem is of synchronization between the screen being black with the white square and the cathode of the zapper.

Like I said I'm by no means an expert on this matters but KRIKzz is!. If someone can come out with this device it will be great, and if it can not be done.... i guess I'll try to find a new Old tv on ebay.

Anyway big fan of KRIKzz and thanks for reading

Imaa
    Last edited by Imaa; 03-13-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Combat Soldier

I thought the NES Zapper worked like other light guns that used the timing of the scanline to determine position, but that appears to have started with the SNES Super Scope / Genesis Menacer.

The NES would be the easiest to do, but that doesn't mean the actual implementation is any less technically sophisticated.

The NES Zapper works by determining if it can detect the light of a white rectangle drawn around targetable sprites on the screen. Each of these "hit test" areas are drawn sequentially. To make this work, you would need two components:

1) A new way of interpreting the position of the gun's sight relative to a position on the screen (a possibly solution is an IR sensor)
    2) A means of capturing the NES's video output, determining when the blanking / "hit test" area drawing is done, differentiating between individual tests and finally comparing that to the positional data returned by the first component listed above.

In theory, it sounds really simple. In practice, it's not.

Extra credit: While playing duck hunt, blink fast when you pull the trigger and you should be able to see the outline of the "hit test" area where the ducks are.
    Last edited by Dreamcast; 03-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Insane redneck retro gamer... ASSEMbler Elite

Blog Entries
    There are 2 ways to fix this and both are going to be hard.

The first and simpler way is to modify the game code to make the sensing in the light gun work differently.

The second way is to modify the sensor to work with the way light is emitted from a newer LCD screen.

I'm thinking both will need to be done if it is to work. In other words, go get an old CRT TV to play Duck Hunt and other games. eBay has some good ones at decent sizes for decent prices. NES stuff can be quite cheap too. I got my CRT TV from a dumpster at college and it works wonderfully. Found it and a lot of other stuff by the dumpster when walking that way one day.
    Classic hardware collector and modifier. Currently focused on Sega, Xbox, and Nintendo stuff. New Xbox project:
    What ever you do, DON'T CLICK HERE!!!
    I'm now on Sega-16

Tribuni Angusticlavii

This sort of device isn't likely something KRIKzz would do.

Sort lived the dream... :) thanks everyone for answering. I'll start looking for one of those old TVs...

Borrow thread

Why isnt there a Nes Everdrive?

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostOriginal View Post
    Borrow thread

Why isnt there a Nes Everdrive?
    There is already an exellent product called NES Powerpak.. And it is not quite expensive....
    It has almost 100% compatibility of games... And real state save works too on most of the games! :)

But NES ED would be good tooo... But not so neccessary

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppex83 View Post
    There is already an exellent product called NES Powerpak.. And it is not quite expensive....
    It has almost 100% compatibility of games... And real state save works too on most of the games! :)

But NES ED would be good tooo... But not so neccessary
    But isn't there certain mappers that won't work and doesn't the system need to be modded to run Famicom Disk System games?

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Ofcourse certain mappers "don't work" because there are probably 100s of different mappers. However the PowerPAK supports all the mappers used in the vast majority of games. The mappers that are not supported are primarily ones used in Pirate/Chinese titles. The system does NOT need to be modded to run Disk System games. You need to mod your system to hear expansion sound channels. FDS has such a channel, as do a few Japanese mappers. This is not the PowerPAK's fault, any device or even the real cartridge would need the same connection made for you to hear expansion sound on your NES.

Site Supporter 2013 Combat Soldier

There are something like 4 or 5 licensed USA games that don't work with PowerPak but that's out of over 500 USA games that do work.

Conscript

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    But isn't there certain mappers that won't work and doesn't the system need to be modded to run Famicom Disk System games?
    totally not true i have all the famicom disk system games on mine and they load and play fine.
    They acually load faster than regular games.

Scott

Foot Soldier

I think it's a shame that, because of the small market, and this

Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post
    totally not true i have all the famicom disk system games on mine and they load and play fine.

Scott
    there's very likely never going to be an actual FDS device that isn't one of those nigh-impossible to obtain MGDs :T

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by staylor View Post

Scott
    Funny thing is, it loads so fast I can't view/hear the awesome FDS Zelda 1 intro :(

Also the PowerPak gives off terrible jailbars! I bet Krikzz' decice wouldn't!

ASSEMbler Elite

NES can wait. PowerPak does OK enough for the time being.

Famicom device is more sensible. Smaller form factor. No need for a 72>60 pin converter, which PowerPak requires for FC users. Or expansion sound modding since FC already supports that.
    Last edited by Lum; 05-02-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Lum View Post
    NES can wait. PowerPak does OK enough for the time being.

Famicom device is more sensible. Smaller form factor. No need for a 72>60 pin converter, which PowerPak requires for FC users. Or expansion sound modding since FC already supports that.
    That's actually a really, really good idea. Especially since the AV Famicom is the best model of the original Nintendo you can buy (for picture quality reasons, sound quality reasons, it uses the popular Nintendo AV port, etc.). Brilliant!

Combat Soldier

There's a reason there's only been one flash cart made for the NES, probably the most popular classic system besides the 2600. It's very difficult.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCrackCorn View Post
    Funny thing is, it loads so fast I can't view/hear the awesome FDS Zelda 1 intro :(

Also the PowerPak gives off terrible jailbars! I bet Krikzz' decice wouldn't!
    If you hold down a button, I think Select, it will stop it from constantly switching sides and skipping the intro of FDS zelda. Try it out.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    If you hold down a button, I think Select, it will stop it from constantly switching sides and skipping the intro of FDS zelda. Try it out.
    I had NO CLUE about this. Thank you!!

AKA SUPERCOM32 ASSEMbler Hardcore

It's too bad that no solution exists for the Famicom. I'd probably pay for a Famicom flash-card, but not an NES one.

ASSEMbler Elite

Famicom would also cost have lower manufacturing cost than NES. No lockout chip and fewer pins to connect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast