Thread: Good resources for learning M68K asm?

Good resources for learning M68K asm?

Hi,

I would like to know if there's some good resources for learning Motorola 68k assembly available somewhere? I have been learning programming as a hobby (C) (and C# in the gamedev-school I am in) tho I am pretty terrible at it.
    So anyway despite my utterly bad skills I thought about taking a bite of 68K asm since it's used in many old computers/consoles I like, like Amigas & Megadrive/Genesis. Just for fun/curiosity, even if I end up failing at it. You never can know enough ;)

I tried googling for info but couldn't find any beginnerfriendly stuff. I would be grateful if someone could give some links etc.

Thank you for any help.

Conscript

Not sure what you exactly need. Try looking here and there. Both Amiga related, probably best choice for 68k.

Well, I would like to have general resources for grasping the basics on 68k (and general ASM-info) ASM, like a way to get started.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Instead of 68k I would suggest an 8-bit or an imaginary educational CPU architecture first, simply because of better documentation and tutorials, plus there's an abundance of assemblers and disassemblers to choose from. It shouldn't take too long to get a grasp of basic algorithms and CPU terminology which will then help you make sense of the 68k manual. Since you're interested in MD dev perhaps Z80 would be worth taking a look at first.

Foot Soldier

I don't get it, manuals like these contain all the info you need.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Calpis View Post
    plus there's an abundance of assemblers and disassemblers to choose from.
    I would also recommend finding a simulator for the architecture you're interested in. Then you can write some code and test it out in a simulator.