Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Any sealed collectors?

  1. #1

    Any sealed collectors?

    any sealed collectors on the forum?

  2. #2
    Combat Soldier
    arnoldlayne's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    768



    I've been a sealed collector for a while now - It's okay but my arm movement is very restricted so it's harder to use a keyboard or a mouse - buying stuff from eBay takes a lot longer that it used to...:)
    Last edited by arnoldlayne; 03-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    "Don't let Monty die in vain, press a key and try again..."

    "Drunk drivers kill people ....Stoned ones just miss their exits..."

  3. #3
    ASSEMbler Maniax
    CORE
    GodofHardcore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I have a Summer Villa in Outworld
    Posts
    9,371
    Collectors of Sealed games who intend to keep them sealed are the scum of the earth. Worse than Capcom Fanboys who keep buying their shit.
    Last edited by GodofHardcore; 03-11-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    http://retrocadefantasia.blogspot.com

    Retrocade has it's own hub now!

  4. #4
    Foot Soldier
    BLUamnEsiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    405
    I wouldn't go as far as calling them scum of the Earth, but I do think keeping something sealed simply for having it that way or monetary reasons negates the purpose of the item in question. Video games are meant to be played, so play them! Now, I can understand someone being forward thinking in buying two of each game and keeping one sealed. That's a matter of preserving something for the future. In the past, I used to do that but eventually opened the sealed game and gave the older ones away to friends and family.

  5. #5
    New member Gmegbln's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    20
    I've actually bought games on Ebay that I thought were used but come in sealed, I get really disappointed haha

    I don't buy sealed because I like playing the games, but I can't bring myself to open one that's still sealed so I try to avoid them whenever possible

  6. #6
    JAMMA compatible ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out
    ave's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    5,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Playah View Post
    any sealed collectors on the forum?
    The amount of virgins here is high, yes.






    .... tumbleweed passes by....







    According to Satakore.com I own around 50 sealed JPN Saturn games, but these were all accidents! I'm not a sealed collector, I did not buy them sealed on purpose... they are just part of the set. I also have a few more sealed/new games for other systems, some really rare ones in there (like Segagaga box), but again, accidents. I may have around 100 new/sealed games in total, tons of new/sealed accessories a 1 or 2 new consoles.
    59,630 > 57,300

  7. #7
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Combat Soldier
    Mack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    631
    I am kind of thankful for sealed collectors , really thankful for when they want to sell their items. Especially since we can still buy brand new systems to enjoy for us folks that like to open our systems and games! Buying a brand new console from the 80's and being able to know it's going to last another lifetime is priceless.
    Last edited by Mack; 04-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.

  8. #8
    Site Supporter 2013 Combat Soldier
    AleffCorrea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    509
    Those "sealed collectors" kinda miss the point of game collecting, which is actually play old games and help preserve them through the years (not just sealing it with shrink-wrap or clamshells -- actually playing them, showing them to game communities, writing reviews, impressions, recording media, etc.). Anyone that buys a game and never plays it can be considered an, uhm, market speculations guy?

  9. #9
    Combat Soldier
    brendand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    878
    [QUOTE=ave;574822]The amount of virgins here is high, yes.

    <<<<< LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL that is funny less then 5% of my 1100 games are sealed i really don't care as long as the game works that's all that matters !.

  10. #10
    JAMMA compatible ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out
    ave's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    5,474
    Quote Originally Posted by AleffCorrea View Post
    the point of game collecting, which is [...] playing them, showing them to game communities, writing reviews, impressions, recording media
    I disagree, this would be the point of "retro gaming" rather than "collecting" - collecting in my book refers pure acquisition, completion, and preservation. As a matter of fact, most things that you can collect are not used but only acquired and preserved: Just think of typical collectibles such as stamps, antiques, old cameras, musical instruments, cole ads. These are often not used but only displayed.

    While I do not follow this principle myself because I want to be able to use my games while collecting them, I see it as the 'ultimate form of collecting' as the condition is best possible. However, as opposed to other objects, it is a difficult rule to uphold since the factor that determines the "sealed state" is inevitably going to deteriorate at some point, or in other words, the cheap shrinkwrap won't be preservable forever.
    59,630 > 57,300

  11. #11
    らりるれろ
    Site Supporter 2014

    Tribuni Angusticlavii
    la-li-lu-le-lo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    4,856
    I can understand the appeal of sealed games, but personally it's not for me. As others have stated, the point of buying games (for most people) is to play them. Plus, sealed games are usually exorbitantly expensive, except in the case of games that are very common or not in very high demand. If I were rich I'd probably have a small collection of sealed games - duplicates of non-sealed games.

    The main thing that I care about when I buy a game is whether it works or not; condition is secondary to that. Ideally I want a game in very good condition, but sometimes I'll buy a game in slightly worse condition because it's much cheaper. I got Metal Slug for MVS for like $30 (plus shipping), and it had a really fucked up label. It works perfectly fine, though, and it was way cheaper than the other copies I've seen floating around. If money was no object, I'd buy all kinds of crazy shit - but unfortunately (or fortunately), it is.

    One thing that I don't think people consider is the fact that just because a game is sealed, that doesn't mean it's in mint condition. The case could be cracked, things could move around inside and become damaged, it could have been scratched through the plastic, etc. The bad thing about collecting sealed games is that you'll never know if you don't open it. That's a bit paradoxical if you think about it; you buy the game because it's supposedly in perfect condition, but you'll never know for sure whether it really is or not.

    I guess the situation is a bit different if you buy a sealed game and then open it.

    This thread should be in General Gaming.
    Last edited by la-li-lu-le-lo; 04-10-2012 at 10:42 PM.

  12. #12
    Site Supporter 2013 Combat Soldier
    AleffCorrea's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    I disagree, this would be the point of "retro gaming" rather than "collecting" - collecting in my book refers pure acquisition, completion, and preservation. As a matter of fact, most things that you can collect are not used but only acquired and preserved: Just think of typical collectibles such as stamps, antiques, old cameras, musical instruments, cole ads. These are often not used but only displayed.

    While I do not follow this principle myself because I want to be able to use my games while collecting them, I see it as the 'ultimate form of collecting' as the condition is best possible. However, as opposed to other objects, it is a difficult rule to uphold since the factor that determines the "sealed state" is inevitably going to deteriorate at some point, or in other words, the cheap shrinkwrap won't be preservable forever.
    I see your point. Just like that site which rates and seal shrink-wrapped games with some sort of a clamshell, claiming to be an authority of game collecting. No one will play them, but at least the game medium will survive +50 years with that treatment. But the fun part of game collecting is actually play them, regardless of deterioration and lesser durability of the games played. Each one with his own tastes I guess.

  13. #13
    Combat Soldier
    _SD_'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    947
    I have a Skyward Sword box-set that I've kept completely sealed. We'll see what someone's willing to pay for that in 10 years time. Something tells me it's going to be more than the 50 quid it cost.

  14. #14
    JAMMA compatible ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out
    ave's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    5,474
    Quote Originally Posted by AleffCorrea View Post
    I see your point. Just like that site which rates and seal shrink-wrapped games with some sort of a clamshell, claiming to be an authority of game collecting. No one will play them, but at least the game medium will survive +50 years with that treatment. But the fun part of game collecting is actually play them, regardless of deterioration and lesser durability of the games played. Each one with his own tastes I guess.
    Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you - I want to play my games too! As a matter of fact, whenever I buy a "sealed game" by accident because it was really cheap, I'm a bit annoyed because I can't open it (value/rarity would decrease). :( I'd much rather have bought a non-sealed game. First world problems...

    My point was just that "collecting" does not mean gaming/playing. So the "fun part of game collecting" doesn't correlate with using the items, it just refers to plain acquisition and nothing else whereas "gaming & collecting" (that's what I do) means you buy and keep games so you can use them... collectors of sealed items are in my opinion on the highest level of collecting because they strive for the best possible condition.

    That doesn't mean they are most passionate about games though, obviously not. I also don't think there's much point in collecting shrinkwrapped stuff like some SNES, NES or other titles... shrinkwrap is crap.
    59,630 > 57,300

  15. #15
    Be Attitude For Gains Member Elite
    jp.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,746
    Ah, this thread reminds me of when I wound up buying a sealed Astra Superstars for the Saturn, and then a buddy of mine recorded me opening it.

    He lost the footage though... for shame.


    That said, I do have some sealed stuff. I have a sealed copy of every (Saturn) Panzer Dragoon game from every region. But that's just because PD is my favorite series ever, so there's a personal reason for that. Would I hold a shit ton of games hostage in their wrapping? No.
    Last edited by jp.; 04-12-2012 at 06:48 PM.

  16. #16
    Combat Soldier
    _SD_'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by jp. View Post
    I have a sealed copy of every (Saturn) Panzer Dragoon game from every region. But that's just because PD is my favorite series ever, so there's a personal reason for that.
    Thats actually quite cool. You should post a pic. Out of interest, why haven't you bothered with the Xbox and Game Gear games?

  17. #17
    Be Attitude For Gains Member Elite
    jp.'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by _SD_ View Post
    Thats actually quite cool. You should post a pic. Out of interest, why haven't you bothered with the Xbox and Game Gear games?

    I don't consider the Xbox game "legit" as Yukio Futatsugi (nor hardly anyone from Team Andromeda) had nothing to do with it. I do have two weird statues for it though (one is a small metallic statue, the other is a larger color statue that was limited).

    I do have a copy of the Game Gear game, and it very well may have been sealed when I got it. It wasn't in any type of wrapping, but IIRC the game itself and its plastic case were wrapped up. I don't know enough about JP GG games to know if the cardboard boxes come in wrapping though.

    I do have a sealed copy of the R-Zone game though. It's also the only PD game I've never played.

    As for a picture, I've been meaning to take pictures of my PD collection for awhile now. When I go to my parent's next I may grab my PD boxes and do that (as I live in an apartment and have nowhere "proper" to put the PD collection).

    For now, all I've got is an old picture of all of the PD soundtracks except two (the OST of the original and the Japanese soundtrack of Orta, the latter of which I don't have because I don't care for Orta):
    Last edited by jp.; 04-13-2012 at 09:34 PM.

  18. #18
    Foot Soldier
    MoonDog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    207
    I collect sealed games but that doesn't mean they won't be opened at some point. I just like to have them in the best possible condition so a mint copy is as good as a sealed one anyway. Also, with the games existing as backups, digital or physical, I don't really need to play the original copy.
    Last edited by MoonDog; 04-15-2012 at 12:36 AM.

  19. #19
    Moderator Staff

    ASSEMbler Regix
    Pillar of the Community
    Yakumo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Shimonoseki / Japan
    Posts
    18,717
    Do you know what is really funny. sealed collectors think because their game is sealed then it MUST be mint but I can tell you for sure from experience that not all sealed games are mint inside the wrapper. As most of you know, I own about 1400 original Japanese Saturn games and many of the were bought factory sealed yet quite a few had mould on the discs or creases in the manual put there during manufacturing. The mouldy discs cleaned up well but who's to say that within another 10 years those discs may have been beyond repair.

    Personally I find sealed a waste of time when it comes to games. I'm more of a mint as in new opened games. that was I can enjoy all it has to offer. the lovely art and style of the instructions to the playing of the game.

    Yakumo

  20. #20
    Foot Soldier
    MoonDog's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    207
    If only finding opened games in Mint condition was a simpler task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •