Thread: Region free / NTSC on PAL console?

Region free / NTSC on PAL console?

Hi,

Apologies if I've not posted this in the correct section but as it spans 3 consoles / Everdrive versions I couldn't see where else to put it.

I've just ordered myself an N64 Everdrive :-) and I'm hopefully soon going to order SNES & Mega Drive versions however there is one thing thats making me hold off those two, and even be slightly apprehensive of the N64 Everdrive I've ordered arriving, and thats will it play NTSC games.

All three consoles are PAL UK standard & entirely un-modded consoles.
    Can someone confirm to me if they will play NTSC games @ 60Hz and in colour or not?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Member Elite

pal system can't work in ntsc 60 mode, system will work in ntsc 50 or pal 60 (i not sure which one of those two options) most of tv can show ntsc games in color on PAL system, and almost all TV work in grayscale, if PAL games on ntsc console
    I looking for genesis 2 with motherboard VA2

Thanks for the reply.

Thats pretty much as I expected to be honest. Unlike some I don't actually mind playing in PAL so much on the N64 but the MD/SNES have little in the way of PAL optimisation.

Might have to break out the soldering iron and do some 50/60Hz switch mods :-)

ASSEMbler Elite

You have to unlearn a little of that. N64 is different than older consoles.

It moved 50 or 60 hz into software control.
    With color mode remaining in hardware like MD/SNES.

NTSC games will maintain their original resolution and speed, except forced to PAL color.
    Last edited by Lum; 02-17-2012 at 09:17 PM.

(From my Doctor V64 days)
    (Assuming your N64/TV can handle PAL60)
    Most NTSC roms will run an a PAL console. Some of these may have some sound distortion. These can be fixed with patches.

Others may not run at all, but again most of these can be patched.

A lot of the roms can be found pre-patched in the GoodN64 3.0 collection.

A good universal tool i used to patch roms that where no patch was available at the time was called "Paladin", which can be found using google.
    Last edited by discomike; 02-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.

ASSEMbler Elite

Aren't those things only involved when one needs a way to run NTSC games at 50hz?
    Last edited by Lum; 02-20-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Hi again,

Thanks for the help everyone, thats cleared a few things up but I have a new question. If I get myself a US/JAP N64 to RGB mod can I just de-solder the PAL CIC and solder in the NTSC one to save buying a new Everdrive? And if so will I have issues playing PAL roms?

Oh and I've ordered myself an EverDrive MD now :-) but like the N64 version, also from Warners Retro Corner, both still show out of stock. Any idea when they will have more in? hate the waiting lol
    Last edited by ng7; 02-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.

My JAP N64 is supposed to be RGB modded, the output through SCART to LCD tv certainly suggests so.

However when I run PAL roms, the picture goes black and white.

Having only had the ED64 for a few hours, I have not investigated further.

ASSEMbler Elite

Well you might be getting composite SCART? Examine the edges of game objects real close for signs of blur RGB wouldn't have.

Pretty sure it's RGB. Maybe dig out and compare with my PAL N64 over weekend.

RE: Everdrive MD, I ordered one from Warner's ebay store about three weeks ago. Turned up about 10 days later. It had a manufacture date of 31.01.2012