Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo 1 "Test" Disc?

Halo 1 "Test" Disc?

Any info on this? It is a green disc with a typical Xbox logo at the top. The bottom portion reads as follows:

Left: Microsoft (their logo)
    Right: Halo TEST
    Bottom: MICROSOFT CONFIDENTIAL

Trying to figure out if it is some sort of beta build, or if it is just a variant of the review disc that I haven't seen yet.

Poor pics, I know:

Last edited by PFG; 02-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Foot Soldier

Considering that the pictures suck, I can't figure out anything on the disc. It is interesting though. Is this something that you own? If so take higher res pics.

Edit: Also, anything beta for Halo would have been on an Alpha kit. That for some reason looks like it could run on final debug hardware. I'm just assuming that due to the holograms on the inside, and looks as if it was pressed at Microsoft. So maybe a near final build of Halo for testing?
    Last edited by Museman; 02-14-2012 at 04:22 PM.

@ Museman, not too much info available. It was on ebay recently and probably sold in a private deal (the seller ended the auction early).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc

And, in fact, there are Halo 1 Betas for final Hardware, not only for Alpha Kits, remember final (or at least non-alpha) hardware has been available prior to the launch to devs.
    Last edited by jaunelapin; 02-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Foot Soldier

Well, I've never seen/heard of a Halo beta on final hardware. I've seen video and pics of the Halo beta on Alpha kits up to May 2001 (and that's pretty frikin late for an Alpha kit), only 4 months till Halo went gold. And I remember hearing on the podcast that Halo CE did go to the beta hardware before they went to final hardware. So, 1-2 months (not including the time before the E3 2001 beta build) is a pretty long time to keep a game in beta.

http://bs.bungie.org/fanfestv/

And if you go down to the 8:30PM section of pics, you'll see this pic.

http://bs.bungie.org/fanfestv/photos/15160020.html

I've just never heard of Halo CE beta on final hardware. I guess I can't really prove there wasn't one. I have no doubt that they had some kind of early build on final hardware.

Foot Soldier

From catv246 on gamesniped:

The Halo Prototype is not a prototype. It is a full version game, there is no content that did not make the retail release on here. This is the confidential discís that were marked, as such, for display in large flagship stores. I know because I handled a ton of these at a flagship store at launch. I had over 10 of these at one point (too bad I didnít save them as the auction is up over $120 already)

Now what is cool about this auction is the case that it comes in. Which proves a point and is something rare and unknown.

A lot of people told me I was crazy that HALO WAS RATED TEEN BY ESRB. I know for a fact it was a TEEN rating, I had a boat load of the original retail games I had to sticker over the T rating with the M rating stickers as the rating got bumped up. One of the reasons for the bump in the rating was gun violence and a connection with 9/11 (which was only a few months before launch). This display disc SHOWS that the game had a teen rating as the display case has a a T rating on it (teen) and does not have the Rating Pending logo. The reason for this was, many stores like Toys R us, Gamestop, Virgin mega-store and more, had corporate policyís in place with game vendors that games had to have an ESRB rating in order to show off demos in the store that were playable, whole video only content could be RP. This was very important. M$ had the proper ESRB rating to get these in stores before launch and a Teen rating was inportant as this was going to be a flagship title for the newest console on the block. This disc has the same confidential label as all the disc I handled and what future demo disc (for the first year) had on them.

Thanks for the info! Someone apparently offered him $1,500. Terrible buy if that's really what it is.

Teen case is hyped up way too much, though. I've had several. Still own two, and also have Teen posters as well as other items. The Mature display case is actually way harder to find.

Seller is still pretty adamant it is prototype, though, despite not knowing what's on it. He seems to think it is prototype regardless of content, and that the only way it wouldn't be is if it were used in stores (which he insists they weren't).

The question is, am I the only one who wouldn't consider it a prototype if it were a typical build? I believe he stated the disc was made only a few months prior to launch.
    Last edited by PFG; 02-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.

PtoPOnline.com Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Debug builds of the original Halo exist. (Which run on final hardware obviously)
    Last edited by Borman; 02-15-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by PFG View Post
    Thanks for the info! Someone apparently offered him $1,500. Terrible buy if that's really what it is.

Teen case is hyped up way too much, though. I've had several. Still own two, and also have Teen posters as well as other items. The Mature display case is actually way harder to find.

Seller is still pretty adamant it is prototype, though, despite not knowing what's on it. He seems to think it is prototype regardless of content, and that the only way it wouldn't be is if it were used in stores (which he insists they weren't).

The question is, am I the only one who wouldn't consider it a prototype if it were a typical build? I believe he stated the disc was made only a few months prior to launch.
    There is no way I'd risk paying that much for a 'retail build'. I think the seller is over-the-top optimistic considering it is a pressed disc that boots on a retail console and comes in a near-final retail box.
    Last edited by DeadperfecT; 02-15-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Retail box is completely unrelated, but that is my general sentiment as well.

Ended up bumping into the buyer on another forum (cool guy). For anyone interested, I was told there is no multiplayer, no music, and that the background on the main menu is static.

Member Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by PFG View Post
    Ended up bumping into the buyer on another forum (cool guy). For anyone interested, I was told there is no multiplayer, no music, and that the background on the main menu is static.
    Pic's or GTFO.
    Fac 51

- Love Will Tear Us Apart -

Combat Soldier

intresting disk i have never seen one like that bid is 435 dollars i wouldnt pay that much for any game let alone what could be a demo disk or something tbh xD
    Last edited by brendand; 04-05-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brendand View Post
    intresting disk i have never seen one like that bid is 435 dollars i wouldnt pay that much for any game let alone what could be a demo disk or something tbh xD
    The sale price was a bit over three times more than that price...

Personally, I'd have only went up to about $700-800 on it unless I knew for sure it was something special.

lol PFG I only paid 750 ^_^

And considering there are people out there that pay hundreds to millions for shiny rocks or soft decorative metal, any argument that its not "worth it" is void lol. If I have no intent on resale all that matters is what it means to me.

Finally got one for myself:

Quote Originally Posted by mestizo View Post
    lol PFG I only paid 750 ^_^

And considering there are people out there that pay hundreds to millions for shiny rocks or soft decorative metal, any argument that its not "worth it" is void lol. If I have no intent on resale all that matters is what it means to me.

Didn't realize that. I was talking to the seller when you bought it, and he kept telling me $1,500 was what it went for.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Blog Entries
    The data, can we get it from somewhere ?
    Collector and gamer, also hack away stuff. Im a big fan of:
    Xbox, Xbox 360 PS1, PS2, MSX,NES, Wii, all gameboy/nDS series and DC

Quote Originally Posted by CodeAsm View Post
    The data, can we get it from somewhere ?
    I'll dump it if someone wants to give me a place to upload.

Foot Soldier

ill give you an ftp account to upload it

PtoPOnline.com Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Id offer the same if there is anything different about it whatsoever. Dont want to be hosting a retail copy of Halo though.

Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Member Hardcore

Blog Entries
    Indeed, no need for retail here at all, but if confirmed or to be confirmed diferent (Can xbe be the same but contents of disk diferent?) anyway, I can host afterwards on FTP or whatever I need to setup. reminds me that I need to dump some demodisks...
    Collector and gamer, also hack away stuff. Im a big fan of:
    Xbox, Xbox 360 PS1, PS2, MSX,NES, Wii, all gameboy/nDS series and DC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast