Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Blog Entries
    CF card would make a bit more sense IMO and actually works pretty well.

Though I have no idea how quickly an XBox will wear out a CF card under light/average/heavy use. On the plus side they are a damn sight cheaper and far more ubiquitous than PATA SSDs.
    Last edited by APE; 02-12-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

ASSEMbler Soldier

You know I was thinking about this recently, but will an actual sata hdd work on an xbox with a ide to sata converter? Reason I ask is ide hdd are becoming very difficult to find now brand new.

Combat Soldier

Yes, it will, assuming that the adapter is a good one. But many of the cheap adapters on eBay will not work reliably (sometimes not detecting the HDD) or will not work at all. I use a StarTech IDE2SAT in my Xbox and PS2 and it works perfectly with a 2 TB HDD (other than the fact that I can't create partitions on it with the PS2, but that is due to a bug in uLaunchELF, not the adapter).

It has a Marvel 88SA8052 chip on it, and apparently all the high-quality adapters do too. So I would look out for one which has it.
    Last edited by Elijah; 02-12-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Foot Soldier

Fragmentation would be almost irrelevant because of the super-fast seek times of the SSD. You would benefit most with games which use a myriad of small files, streaming would be unaffected.
    It could be worth it if you really wanted to trim the box down to make it as portable as possible.

oh, and as the above posters said: Stay away from the cheap SATA->IDE adapters, I have 5 flying around that WILL detect the HD, but only as long as it is cold - when it gets warm they loose contact and nothing can be done about it, not even glueing them into place works.
    Get a quality one, built an xbox for a friend with and expensive one and it's still working perfectly several years later.
    Last edited by hrahn; 02-17-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Combat Soldier

Just to update, I recently bought two of these adapters: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140705980749

And they both work perfectly in my PS2 and Xbox.

hi guys ..this is a great topic ...i've been using the sata to ide in four years now ..however the original dvd drive of my xbox died so i just replaced it with an old benq pc cd writer ..powered it using a homemade powersplitter while i totally removed the original dvd drive ..& it worked like charm ..bingo !! & no more error 11...the cd writer even boots i've burned a homebrew game on a cd & it worked ..lol..but only when i power on the xbox with the cd inside & i cannot access & explore the files on a cd in xbmc or any other xbox OS but mysteriously i can in avalaunch only..off topic but just for the info

this is the exact model i used http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827101653
    Last edited by agablex; 04-30-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by agablex View Post
    hi guys ..this is a great topic ...i've been using the sata to ide in four years now ..however the original dvd drive of my xbox died so i just replaced it with an old benq pc cd writer ..powered it using a homemade powersplitter while i totally removed the original dvd drive ..& it worked like charm ..bingo !! & no more error 11...the cd writer even boots i've burned a homebrew game on a cd & it worked ..lol..but only when i power on the xbox with the cd inside & i cannot access & explore the files on a cd in xbmc or any other xbox OS but mysteriously i can in avalaunch only..off topic but just for the info

this is the exact model i used http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827101653
    Using standard CD/DVD drives in an XBox is extremely well known and works with a large number of drives. Only handful will allow you to boot original XBox games sadly and most require additional wiring in order to fully function (such as allowing the XBox to eject/retract the tray as opposed to using the button on the drive itself).
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

ASSEMbler Elite

Quote Originally Posted by agablex View Post
    but only when i power on the xbox with the cd inside & i cannot access & explore the files on a cd in xbmc or any other xbox OS but mysteriously i can in avalaunch only..off topic but just for the info
    That's because of how the XBOX KERNEL is coded. It requires that a pin on the DVD power connector changes state to indicate to the system that there were a disc change. The special firmware on the original DVD drive for the XBOX takes care of that. Avalaunch somehow patches that in RAM and get around the issue.

On a normal PC, the OS pools the drive through the I/O cable to know if there were a disc change. On the XBOX that would cause a slight reduction on the performance so they changed how it works. :)
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    That's because of how the XBOX KERNEL is coded. It requires that a pin on the DVD power connector changes state to indicate to the system that there were a disc change. The special firmware on the original DVD drive for the XBOX takes care of that. Avalaunch somehow patches that in RAM and get around the issue.

On a normal PC, the OS pools the drive through the I/O cable to know if there were a disc change. On the XBOX that would cause a slight reduction on the performance so they changed how it works. :)
    i see..can you guys tell me more about using an IDE to CF adapter on the xbox..does it really work ?..doesn't the xbox motherboard requests a locked drive with the proper ata password ? if so ...can a CF card be lockable ?

ASSEMbler Elite

You will need a hacked BIOS to be able to replace the HDD with something other than a ATA security capable HDD.
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue
    Site Supporter 2013
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi
    And seeing as there is no xbox live anymore, there is no reason to keep the original bios anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by nameless staff member that edited my sig
    It's not cool to make fun or troll users by quoting their mistakes.
    - staff confirmation.

If you cant PM me (no account, other voodoo) you can contact me via this link.
    My Modding parts for sale thread can be found here: CLICK ME

Combat Soldier

You can hotwire the yellow power cable's signal lines and replace the original DVD-drive with another HDD...

Quote Originally Posted by l_oliveira View Post
    You will need a hacked BIOS to be able to replace the HDD with something other than a ATA security capable HDD.
    what's the procedures & the requirements of having a hacked bios ? & where to find it ?..one that can aloud pretty much anything else other than a locked hdd..i guess it requires a modchip or it can be done through the tsop..i'm i right !!..or it can be done on a softmodded 1.6 also for example ?..how does it work ?..
    Last edited by agablex; 05-02-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinebi View Post
    You can hotwire the yellow power cable's signal lines and replace the original DVD-drive with another HDD...
    ..how to do that ?..i mean to hotwire the yellow cable which has like 12 wires while the hdd's got only 4..is the idea of this is just to power the 2nd hdd (the dvd replacement) ? or to trick the xbox to think that the 2nd hdd is the original dvd ? or perhaps that's the hacked bios's job !! .. this works with the hacked bios only?.would it work on a softmodded xbox ?

Combat Soldier

It'll work on any Xbox, you cut and connect two pairs of the yellow cable together, making the Xbox think the DVD-drive is still connected.
    Then you'd need a molex splitter connected to the original power supply for another HDD or whatever you want to connect...
    I tried expanding the old HDD with another HDD (fourth for me) by assigning a new drive letter to it, but I didn't succeed.
    It would've been great if one could just have it formatted and addressed as drive D... (tried both Linux disc and altering some other install discs and apps too without success, it just won't recognise. If it'd worked, I could have had 1 HDD as a shared D-drive, serving for my other seperate 3)

I'll see if I can find the pics I took for this mod.

EDIT:
    here's the pic I followed for removal of the DVD-drive:

(Don't forget to connect the 3 V wire onto the Mobo.)

Then I followed the tut here for the DPDT switch:
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/extra_harddrive.htm

You'll also need to make some sort of mount for the second HDD with some plastic hotglued to the original DVD-drive cradle.
    Make sure you got the holes and screws to fix the HDD tight onto it.
    Then rrmove to front cover from the DVD-drive and align it with the Xbox cover, attempting to fill the hole left by the DVD-drive.
    (I glued mine in and blackened it with a marker.)
    Last edited by Shinebi; 05-03-2012 at 05:40 AM.

I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Benefactor
    Geist Force Primary Donor
    Staff

ASSEMbler Soldier

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Back on topic...

a) If you use a good SSD defragmented files are going to be a non issue
    b) If you only install games you will play and never uninstall them then garbage collection is going to be a lot less of an issue too. Why would you need TRIM to manage deleted files if you're not deleting/uninstalling files?

As for game saves, save to memory card. Problem solved.

ASSEMbler Extreme
    Never Logs Out

Solution: bubble memory

bubble memory.jpg

ASSEMbler Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Calpis View Post
    Solution: bubble memory

bubble memory.jpg
    Only if it does this while warming up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEueYGq2mT4
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinebi View Post
    It'll work on any Xbox, you cut and connect two pairs of the yellow cable together, making the Xbox think the DVD-drive is still connected.
    Then you'd need a molex splitter connected to the original power supply for another HDD or whatever you want to connect...
    I tried expanding the old HDD with another HDD (fourth for me) by assigning a new drive letter to it, but I didn't succeed.
    It would've been great if one could just have it formatted and addressed as drive D... (tried both Linux disc and altering some other install discs and apps too without success, it just won't recognise. If it'd worked, I could have had 1 HDD as a shared D-drive, serving for my other seperate 3)

I'll see if I can find the pics I took for this mod.

EDIT:
    here's the pic I followed for removal of the DVD-drive:

(Don't forget to connect the 3 V wire onto the Mobo.)

Then I followed the tut here for the DPDT switch:
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/extra_harddrive.htm

You'll also need to make some sort of mount for the second HDD with some plastic hotglued to the original DVD-drive cradle.
    Make sure you got the holes and screws to fix the HDD tight onto it.
    Then rrmove to front cover from the DVD-drive and align it with the Xbox cover, attempting to fill the hole left by the DVD-drive.
    (I glued mine in and blackened it with a marker.)
    thanks you're the best man..however instead of powering the second hdd from the main power supply via a molex splitter ,using your diagram i managed to power the second hdd (the dvd replacement) from the xbox yellow cable hooking its +12V /+5v/GND/GND to a male molex's +12V /+5v/GND/GND..you're a very curious modder i like how you expand your options & you just expanded mine thanks
    Last edited by agablex; 05-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12