Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everdrive 64 FAQ

EverDrive 64 FAQ

What games are supported?

All games except Banjo Tooie and Animal Forest. Donkey Kong 64 and Jet Force Gemini need a crack. One source says Banjo Kazooie needs a crack, although I've been using an unmodified rom and haven't found any problems so far.

What CIC do I use?

PAL systems need a 7101 CIC, while NTSC units require a 6102 CIC. You can use a 6105 CIC which will allow you to play Banjo Tooie at the cost of some 6103 games. Use a 6102.

Does a PAL console play NTSC games and vice versa?

Yes. You may get a grayscale picture playing PAL games on an NTSC console depending on your TV. The same issue does not occur playing NTSC games on a PAL console.

How do I crack Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie and Jet Force Gemini?

"Jet Force Gemini (E) (M4) [f1].z64" and "Jet Force Gemini (U) [f1].z64" will work for JFG.

Banjo Kazooie needs the "Banjo Kazooie (U) V1.0 [f1].z64" rom.

DONKEY KONG 64 HELPZZZZZ

Something new comes out every day with this game. Check this thread if what I say here isn't working.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...Maintains-Save

If you are using an NTSC system update to the latest OS (1.27 at time of writing) use the rom "Donkey Kong 64 (U) (f2).z64" and force SRAM.

If you are using a PAL system update to the latest OS use the rom "Donkey Kong 64 (E) (f1).z64" and force SRAM

What ROM should I use?

Whether you are using a PAL or NTSC N64 more often than not you should use a (U) [!] rom. The exceptions are a few Rare titles such as Banjo Kazooie. Check the link below for more info.

http://www.cubed3.com/topic/30186/

Some out of region games have audio pitch errors due to PIF issues. If your using a PAL machine and you come across a problematic game it might be an idea to use the (E) [!] rom.

The only other exceptions are Jet Force Gemini where you want the [f1] rom and Donkey Kong 64 which needs the [f2] rom. Remember to force SRAM if your playing DK64.

I don't know what the (Mx) in some roms means, but the roms seem to play just like the original game.

Games which have multiple versions are given the (1.x) in their rom symbol. In general use the latest version as they contain bugfixes. The link below explains the differences for Zelda OoT

http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_...ridge_Versions

How do I use a custom background?

Get the image you want to use in BMP format at a 640x480 resolution. In the ED menu highlight the picture and press the C down button.

What SD should I use?

Use an SDHC card class 6 or 10. Do look for genuine brand name cards, if an eBay seller doesn't state that his cards are genuine then ask before buying.

A new firmware/OS update was released; where do I download it from?

OS updates can be downloaded from the link below. Put them on your SD card in the directory ED64/OS64.v64 and your good to go.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index....r=ed64/os-bin/

Firmware updates are not necessary on a V2 cart. If you buy an ED64 today you will never need to worry about firmware updates. Click the link below if you have a v1.01 card and hence need them.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index....%2Ffirmware%2F

I have a v1.01 cart. How do I update the firmware?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64uI7r7KCzg

A new OS update came out and now something has gone wrong.

Go back to the old OS and make a post explaining the problem.

How do I get NES games to work?

Download the file in the link below and put the it in the directory ED64/emu.nes. The NES roms can go anywhere on the SD card. This emulator is not made by KRIKzz and is not very good. The MMC 4 and 5 chips do not work, probably others too. This means no Fire Emblem or Castlevania 3. The frame rate seems choppy to me, although I don't have a NES to compare it to. It requires a controller pack to save your game.

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/index.php?dir=ed64%2Femu%2FNeon64+(nes)

What about the Gameboy, SMS, SNES and other emulators?

The NES emulator is the only one worth using. Don't bother.

Does the Everdrive support controller pack saving?

That is impossible without romhacking because the ED64 has no access to the data stream. However, an OS update will be released which allows you to backup your controller pack to an SD card.

Useful links

Almost complete of USA games and their CIC chips and save types

Incomplete, but good list of PAL optimised N64 games

Battery free rumble pack mod

N64 analogue stick solution (scroll down to sanni's post)
    Last edited by gray.fullbusterzzz; 06-30-2012 at 03:54 AM.

Great post.

Not super important, but the original version is 1.01 technically, not 1.1.

Wow !

Great post indeed :clap:

Thanks.:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post
    Great post.

Not super important, but the original version is 1.01 technically, not 1.1.
    Oops. Now it says 1.01.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzane View Post
    Wow !

Great post indeed :clap:

Thanks.:thumbsup:
    Your welcome :)

Site Supporter 2012 Conscript

I can't find the jet force gemini rom specified. :( Goodset doesnt contain it and google couldnt find it.

Quote Originally Posted by lovewiibrew View Post
    I can't find the jet force gemini rom specified. :( Goodset doesnt contain it and google couldnt find it.
    I got my goodset from a site you can find by typing "n64 goodset" into google and clicking on the first link. A message will be on the page telling you to go to their new goodset section and from there you can download the 3.14 goodset. It doesn't contain the (U) [f1] rom, but it does have the (E) (M4) [f1] rom which works. JFG is PAL optimised so you won't get borders or slowdown.

If your N64 plays the game in gray scale then google "jet force gemini (u) [f1]" and click on the first link. I haven't downloaded and tested it, but it should work.
    Last edited by gray.fullbusterzzz; 02-06-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Site Supporter 2012 Conscript

Yea I see it in v64 format. Will try it when the everdrive gets here. Thanks!

What should the background bmp be named ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickkn View Post
    What should the background bmp be named ?
    Doesn't need a special number. Highlight the BMP in your file browser and hit C Down to set it as the background. I would suggest putting your BMP in the ED64 folder so its out of the way of the ROMs.

Are the Everdrive 64's region locked? Do you need to buy a PAL Everdrive for a PAL machine?

Quote Originally Posted by sanny87 View Post
    Are the Everdrive 64's region locked? Do you need to buy a PAL Everdrive for a PAL machine?
    PAL N64 needs PAL EverDrive64, NTSC N64 needs NTSC EverDrive64.

PAL ED64 can play NTSC games on PAL N64.
    NTSC ED64 can play PAL games on NTSC N64 (but they only play in gray scale).

Member Elite

everdrive it self not locked on some region, but n64 require cic chip which is must match to the region of console, so you should choice pal cic7101 if you want use cart with pal system
    I looking for genesis 2 with motherboard VA2

I have managed to get a ED64 with NTSC CIC running on a PAL console using one of those Passport devices. I used Mario 64 PAL as the donor cart.

This info is only of use to you if you have both NTSC and PAL N64's

Thanks for the replies Stoneage and krikzz.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

So, with the Everdrive 64 v2 board I just need to update the bootloader when a new version is available and everything else is part of the OS updates? Or do i still need to update the firmware when newer versions come out and with the v2 board it's possible to do it on the n64 itself?
    Last edited by BM-Viper; 06-01-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: elaborating the question

ED64v2 firmware is loaded during start-up from SD card. The firmware is included in the OS file. Most likely if your ED64v2 is new it already has v3 bootloader. If not you just download file from KRIKzz's site and run it like a ROM.

Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    Foot Soldier

Thanks StoneAgeGamer

Thank you for the helpful post. I think I may be having an issue not addressed, though. It's an audio problem I'm having with the center speaker whenever I play games with my ED64. The audio comes out rather distorted and a great deal louder than the other speakers (most notable in dialogue for StarFox 64 or the bringing-up-the-menu sound from Ocarina of Time). I was recently told that it may be the FPGA is a chip on the everdrive, a programmable chip (field programmable gate array) that is used to hold a large amount of circuitry on one chip. In theory, would noise reduction even be possible in this instance? I can lower the speaker volume, but the distorted audio remains. I was also wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue. I am currently using the latest ED64 OS. Other than that everything is going perfectly with this amazing device! Thank you so much =)

N64

Is it possible to add the following FAQ ?

Q:There is a save file in my save folder however when I ever I boot up [name of your game] it doesnt seem to pick it up. What do I do to save?
    A:Are you resetting the game? In order to save data on an EverDrive 64, you have to press Reset on the console, wait for the ED64 menu to load, and THEN you can turn the system off. Pressing Reset is what saves the data to the SD card.

Q:Next question, how do I save with games that require a memory card such as lego racers or tony hawk ?
    A:You still have to use a memory card. It's currently not possible for the Everdrive64 to save that data directly to the SD card.
    [In some future, the bootloader may save to the MemPak and then to the SD. The menu may also copy the savefile to the MemPak...maybe]

Big thanks to coolthxmcdoom, RandJ and Hyperstar96 (...and Krikzz of course)

Foot Soldier

If you load up a PAL game on an NTSC N64, does the game play at 50hz with boarders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast