Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 128 GB in a PSP (read how inside)

Combat Soldier

Psp B01 128 GB in a PSP (read how inside)

I have seen many reports of individuals trying this, but being unsuccessful, and thereby coming to the conclusion that the PSP is completely limited to 32 GB of space. But I noticed that all of these tests were with the Photofast CR-5400 or CR-3100 (the latter with standard size SD cards), and thought that I would search out another adapter in case it was all down to the adapter being used.

So I bought a "Smart Dual Reader" SDA-1800 Memory Stick Duo adapter from Japan and two 32 GB SanDisk Class 4 Micro SD cards. I inserted the two cards into the adapter and upon inserting it into the PSP, was presented with a prompt to format the cards. I did so, but nothing was recognised upon completion of the format ("no card inserted"). A disappointing outcome, but I wasn't going to give up that easily.

I then proceeded to insert the cards (in the adapter) into my PC's card reader and it although it seemed to have formatted in the PSP, it only recognised 32 GB. I was a bit disheartened at this point, but then thought that I would try to format it on my PC anyway, since it was possibly just an issue with the PSP attempting to format the cards. So I decided to "quick" format to FAT32 on my PC (with "CompuApps SwissKnife V3" since Windows XP does not allow you to format volumes over 32 GB to FAT32), and saw the encouraging result of 60 GB. After this, I inserted it into my PSP and it registered the full space!

So if you would like to have 64 GB in your PSP, look out for the "SDA-1800" adapter, insert the cards and format on your computer (with the necessary software if using recent Windows versions), and then just put it back in your PSP and enjoy. Simply avoid the Photofast CR-5400 that virtually everybody using dual memory cards has. Here is a link to the one that I purchased:

http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/p267921027

I just wanted to post this so that anybody else who wanted to do it would know what they need, and not be put off by all the "doesn't work" reports. Hopefully anybody who searches the internet regarding the subject will find this topic.
    Last edited by Elijah; 12-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Foot Soldier

Awesome, Thanks! is the memory stick "magicgate compatable"? with cheap memory sticks that are no MG compatable, I have many issues, such as not being able to load savegame files.
    PSN ID: Alannmc <-2 N's

Combat Soldier

It said "Magic Gate Unknown" when I went to "Information", but I have had no problems loading or saving, or any other problems.
    Last edited by Elijah; 12-21-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Foot Soldier

Good enough for me. I have 2 16gb microsd cards laying around I want to use for my psp. Though now that 64gb has been tried, I'll eventually get some instead
    Last edited by Cyberghost; 12-21-2011 at 09:07 PM.

You just don't need that much space unless you're doing something illegal.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by ShovelThumb View Post
    You just don't need that much space unless you're doing something illegal.
    I dont see how needing more digital space ties into something illegal being done. That just sounds ridiculous.

ASSEMbler Soldier

Magic Gate only matters if you plan to use DRM locked music and videos (not PSN videos as these rely on the PSP/PSN activation/security mechanism instead) :nod:

About not being able to save with pirate memory sticks it has more to do with the card being shitty Chinese crap more than anything else. :lol:
    PlayStation Aficionado.
    MSX Maniac.

Foot Soldier

Does it really matter if you use the Photofast card or the one you bought? The one you listed says up to 32GB, same as the Photofast that I got.

On further reading, here's a rough translation of the site you posted:

* Dual Adapter PhotoFast Co., at Ltd. is in the midst of patent applying.
    * Removing microSD from CR-5400, to delete making use of the personal computer and the like, please do not work the copy and the like.

EDIT: Just read a review on Amazon.com:

Ok, so i bought this so i could use it with two 32GB micro SDs (64GB total, ~59GB true after format). Everywhere i read on how to do the procedure, i was told that i should do the format of the micros SD's through the PSP, but that didn't work for me, as the PSP didn't recognize this card as a memory stick. So i did the format through my windows PC, formatting it into FAT32 and everything worked fine. The memory stick with the two 32gb microSDs formatted fine and worked and recognized perfectly from my PSP (PSP-2000 model).
    EDIT2: And bobs your uncle:

Last edited by DPyro; 12-23-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Site Supporter 2014 Member Hardcore

Have you guys tried filling most/all GB? I want to make sure everything'll work okay even when you have, say, 58 GB used out of 59 GB.

Member Elite

had no idea these even existed, is the speed on par with an actual MS?

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    had no idea these even existed, is the speed on par with an actual MS?
    The sticks I got are actually faster then the Sony Pro Duo I got years ago which cost like $80.

Write speed is 5.5mb/s read speed is 6.5mb/s
    Sony pro duo write speed is 2.5mb/s read speed is 7mb/s

Something like that.

Tribuni Angusticlavii

What could you possibly need that much space for on PSP?

Games, Demos, Wallpapers, Themes, Pictures, eBooks, Music, Videos... there's plenty of things you can do with a PSP. You may argue that you won't use all that at the same time, but some people simply prefer to have as much as possible in one device, trying to avoid having to delete/upload new stuff.
    In my case I use it for games, but sometimes video as well... not sure why I haven't put some music in it yet.

Combat Soldier

Has anyone verified actual read/write PAST 32gb? I remember reading a few older posts that pointed to this working as shown, but that data was unusable past 32gb...

That's what I meant to ask in my previous post, but no one replied... maybe I failed in the way I asked.

Combat Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by pool7 View Post
    That's what I meant to ask in my previous post, but no one replied... maybe I failed in the way I asked.
    Hello, it wasn't due to any failure on your part. I simply did not read this topic until now, so didn't see your post. I currently have 14 GB used, so can't currently verify whether the console will be able to utilise all the space, but I will try to fill the space soon and get back to you.
    Last edited by Elijah; 12-24-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Combat Soldier

All right, I copied over 29 GB more to take me safely over 32 GB mark, and the games that surpassed the 32 GB mark do indeed work. So we can celebrate...

Alright! Thanks for taking the time to test it.
    I guess it's time to start saving ^_^

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2010
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla View Post
    What could you possibly need that much space for on PSP?
    So you never need to worry about needing more space. At least that would be the reason I'd do something like this if I had the cash...and a PSP.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Combat Soldier

Reviving this thread from the ancient times.

I can't find the right dual card memory stick. I don't speak japanese.
    Can you point me to the right one in ebay?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast