Thread: Gateway/Lodgenet N64

Foot Soldier

Gateway/Lodgenet N64

Here's the pics of the gateway 64.

Top view

Bottom view

The N64

Interesting they used a remanufactured N64 unit. My thoughts are they were putting this debug unit together and ran down to service to get a N64 without controller ports to use.

here's where 5v is grabbed for the controller box

Controller box

Software running. You can run up to 14 N64's.

Roms are converted to .g64 files for use on the gateway

Using RTOOL I found that the gateway rom converter is simply byte-flipping the rom to a .v64 file structure. It also forms an information file .I64 for the associated rom. That seems odd for Nintendo, they usually use a .z64 file structure.

The on-board CIC can be changed and will successfully run roms with 6105 cic's. I added a stick of 32MB (already had 32MB onboard) from my IS-Viewer and ran zelda OOT debug rom (64MB). Within the readme file it states there is an optional CIC module but if you phisically change the cic it's not needed.

There is 4kbit and 16kbit eeprom for game saving on-board that can be purged with a program every time a new rom is loaded. You can also turn this off and game save data will be saved after power down.

SCSI is handled with a 68 pin wide SCSI connector. Termination is not needed, there is a dip switch that handles that for the system, located next to the expansion pack.

There are three versions of the gateway. Version 1.14 x and y and version 1.15 A. This was found within the readme file.

The gateway will not run without the brown connection connected at the controller port on the N64. So running this on another N64 would require wiring controller port 1 to the gateway. Also the controller requires the converter box in order to work. You cannot plug the controller directly into the gateway.
    Last edited by willis82; 10-31-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Foot Soldier

can you dump stuff like the software and the controle boxes pic chip if you get a chnace seems rather easy to recreate if we are given a chance

it would be a real kicker if we are to build something cart size or dd base size that does the same now
    Last edited by Annoying_one; 10-31-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    how am i posting??

if you like or dislike the post concider giving me the appropriate reputation
    :-)

Tribuni Angusticlavii

There is an Altera chip which is a CPLD or something so you can't just copy these things. Plus with devices like the EverDrive 64, why would you want to make an inferior device clone?

Foot Soldier

o so those other devices work on a cable line? news to me
    how am i posting??

if you like or dislike the post concider giving me the appropriate reputation
    :-)

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by werejag View Post
    o so those other devices work on a cable line? news to me

The video would have been distributed on the cable line through the lodgenet server. The gateway doesnt work directly on the cable line but in conjunction with the lodgenet server.
    Last edited by willis82; 11-01-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Lovely, looks lovely. That's a great collectors piece you've got there!

Combat Soldier

Very nice, great pictures too!

Thanks for sharing!

Foot Soldier

Nice piece you've got there! : )

Regards,

npt

Foot Soldier

Thanks guys. I was glad to get it to share information about it. There isn't much out there surprisingly.

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2010
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willis82 View Post
    The video would have been distributed on the cable line through the lodgenet server. The gateway doesnt work directly on the cable line but in conjunction with the lodgenet server.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

RG-6 coax. Would look like crap (especially if it had splitters inline inside the walls as opposed to a straight, single strand of coax from point A to point B) but it could be used to also carry cable TV or some primitive Video On Demand type services. Convenient and cheap.

The controllers look like they used RJ-45 or something similar. The connectors and jacks used on your average telephone handset to the base are a different type than that from the wall to the phone. Often times people used this difference to prevent people from trying to use cheap replacement cables from the corner store as phone wiring (wall to phone that is) isn't solid core and is garbage for anything else. Couldn't carry current for crap.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

N64 Coder Combat Soldier

Thanks for posting the pics

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

RG-6 coax. Would look like crap (especially if it had splitters inline inside the walls as opposed to a straight, single strand of coax from point A to point B) but it could be used to also carry cable TV or some primitive Video On Demand type services. Convenient and cheap.

The controllers look like they used RJ-45 or something similar. The connectors and jacks used on your average telephone handset to the base are a different type than that from the wall to the phone. Often times people used this difference to prevent people from trying to use cheap replacement cables from the corner store as phone wiring (wall to phone that is) isn't solid core and is garbage for anything else. Couldn't carry current for crap.

The connectors are RJ-11/12 but use RS-485 protocol? Within the readme file they refer to the included cables and connections as RS-485.

I also noticed the controller is a bit different. It's missing the text on the bottom where the memory/rumble pack would go. Normally there's something along the lines of "you'll be charged 29.99 if you take this" The one with this kit is smooth with a sticker saying "Version 2"
    Last edited by willis82; 11-01-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Master Baiter
    Site Supporter 2010
    Site Supporter 2011
    Site Supporter 2012
    Site Supporter 2013
    Site Supporter 2014
    ASSEMbler Extreme
    Lives in the server

Blog Entries
    Beh, I keep confusing RJ-45 with RJ-11/12. At least their designations.

I would have figured they would use the same protocols as a standard N64 controller. Be curious to see if that PIC is dumpable and pick apart the programming.
    Last edited by APE; 11-01-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31524
    My feedback thread, since it seems somewhat difficult for people to find.

Foot Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    Beh, I keep confusing RJ-45 with RJ-11/12. At least their designations.

I would have figured they would use the same protocols as a standard N64 controller. Be curious to see if that PIC is dumpable and pick apart the programming.

Plans are already in the process to dump the PIC. When I do I'll post the file for everyone.

Just a bit different Staff

ASSEMbler Extreme
    ASM hardcore

Blog Entries
    Quality pictures, thanks!

Foot Soldier

Sorry for bumping a 3 year old thread but I'm curious, was the PIC ever dumped?
    Or has anyone figured out the protocol the LN64 controllers are using?